Sorting/Culling Conundrum

fredlong

Just this guy
What if I could find a way to pull them all together so I can view as a group, and cull down to those one or two shots in one step?
You need to cull AND sort. What I might try is a first pass to cull obvious bad ones and add a keyword that identifies the car. Later you can search by the keyword to gather all the instances of a particular car.

If Darktable supports keywording.

Brownie

Top Veteran
Either rename them all to 'Camaro' so they can be selected together via search function etc for each group of cars by name, or again colour code for different cars

You need to cull AND sort. What I might try is a first pass to cull obvious bad ones and add a keyword that identifies the car. Later you can search by the keyword to gather all the instances of a particular car.

If Darktable supports keywording.
Right but now we're back to what I'm trying to avoid, which is time.

There were about 20 Camaros out there last time, so I'd the code would need to be very specific. Orange Camaro; 1971 Camaro; Orange 1971 Camaro; 1971 Orange Camaro With Black Hood, etc.. There aren't enough colors or stars to do any kind of sort to handle a hundred or more cars. It's going to take me as long or longer to do all of that than just continuing on as I am.

I'm thinking what I may try is this: Create a subfolder and call it 'current car', then drag/drop every photo of a specific vehicle into it that I can find. Once they're all there, decide which to keep and dump the rest. Move the keeper(s) into another folder, I can be creative with the name and call it 'keepers' 😁. Then, do the next car, and the next, and so on. The advantage here would be that as more cars get moved out of the master folder, the smaller it gets and the fewer photos to go through. It would probably be pretty cumbersome at the start but more streamlined at the end.

fredlong

Just this guy
I would use a single word but I suppose 100+ words would be hard to keep track of. No matter how you approach it, it's still a lot of photos to sort out. Photo Mechanic is designed specifically for high volume. The new Photo Mechanic Plus has now added a database. If you're planning on selling prints or files $230 might be a good investment.

Brownie

Top Veteran
I would use a single word but I suppose 100+ words would be hard to keep track of. No matter how you approach it, it's still a lot of photos to sort out. Photo Mechanic is designed specifically for high volume. The new Photo Mechanic Plus has now added a database. If you're planning on selling prints or files $230 might be a good investment.
I've looked at Photo Mechanic but remain undecided. It looks like the biggest advantage it has is speed in opening and reviewing the files, but since it depends on rankings and colors it doesn't offer much in sorting over a manual application of the same idea.

Do you use it? How intuitive is it to try? I thought about the 30 day free trial but don't want to invest in a steep learning curve just to find it doesn't help.

fredlong

Just this guy
I don't use it. I was waiting for the database feature to be added but now would prefer a solution that's cross compatible with iPad. I know it's a favorite among sports and news photographers specifically for sorting and picking from thousands of photos at import time.