Fuji Speculating about full-frame again....based on interview with Fuji managers

P

pniev

Did anyone see the interview with Fuji managers Hiroshi Kawahara and Yuto Nakanishi?

One of their statements is that Fuji has the tech and knowledge to go full-frame but that this does not mean that they will do it.

That left me wondering what the point is of making such a statement. Why would you develop the technology and knowledge without making use of it? Do they prepare us? Would it indeed be destructive for the APS-C lens lineup.

Why wouldn't it be possible to have three x-lines? one small sensor (Xn0 line), one APS-C line with a set of lensens (the X-E and X100 line) and one FF-line with its own set of lenses (the X-P line)... if they have the technology and knowledge.

I am curious what your thoughts are!

Peter

I haven't seen the interview, but perhaps Fuji are gauging reaction at this stage. A bit like a manufacturer showing a concept car at a car show - sometimes they go ahead into production and sometimes they don't, depending upon the market reaction and where their other products are in their life cycles.

-R

I don't think there would be a big enough difference between some sort of full-frame X-Pro lineup and the currently evolving APS X-series lineup to do both without just cannibalizing sales of the other. Sony seems poised to try it with some sort of full frame Nex and it'll be interesting to see how much of a market there is for it. To me, there's so little difference between the IQ of full frame and APS these days that the primary folks who would choose full frame (assuming a cost premium) would be narrow DOF fanatics, where there is a real difference. Although once you're at the level of the Fuji 35 f1.4 or one of the Voitlander f0.95 lenses on m43, I don't personally get how much narrower you really want it. Which is clearly why I'm not the intended market for such projects...

-Ray

According to rumor sites, Samsung will go full frame NX very soon, and Sony will follow. In the short term I think Fuji makes a mess of things if they go full frame and orphan their APS-C systems. In the long run, they may not want to be the only APS-C system not to have a full frame counterpart.

Personally I can't see Fuji going full frame in the near future - at least not with an interchangeable lens camera. They are just starting to fill out their lens lineup for the X mount and a larger sensor would almost certainly necessitate new (and most likely larger) lenses. This would firstly be quite the investment, and secondly partially defeat one of the advantages of the X Series system, namely its smaller size.

Personally I can't see Fuji going full frame in the near future - at least not with an interchangeable lens camera. They are just starting to fill out their lens lineup for the X mount and a larger sensor would almost certainly necessitate new (and most likely larger) lenses. This would firstly be quite the investment, and secondly partially defeat one of the advantages of the X Series system, namely its smaller size.

This. The system is too young to start developing lenses for another system. If it does, it might go the way of 4/3 Olympus cameras, where the consumers are feeling that they've been abandoned by Olympus.

This. The system is too young to start developing lenses for another system. If it does, it might go the way of 4/3 Olympus cameras, where the consumers are feeling that they've been abandoned by Olympus.

It's not a feeling. Oly and Pany have abandoned 4/3 users. I still have an E510, 12-60 and 50/2 for old times sake.

Also, regardless of Canon and Nikon introducing more affordable full frame cameras (if you want to call them that), more and more professional photographers are moving toward mirrorless in the form of the X-series cameras and the OM-D E-M5 (and I would guess eventually the Panasonic GH-3). Those that have or are considering it are doing so despite the smaller sensors these cameras offer, understanding the limitations that come with. For that reason it seems like the sensor size Fuji has gone with may well be at a sweet spot - enough control over DOF, great high ISO performance and good dynamic range, and allowing very sharp, more compact lenses. The smaller sensor also helps keep the cost down. In testing the XE-1 and X-Pro 1 at my local shop last night, I have to admit I'm quite smitten and am considering dumping my 5D Mark II. I love the full frame sensor and the IQ, but honestly dislike using (and carrying) the camera. I may finally be at the point where I'm willing to give that up. I think Fuji should keep doing what they are doing and not worry about full frame despite the introduction of cameras like the 6D, D600 and RX-1.

According to rumor sites, Samsung will go full frame NX very soon, and Sony will follow. In the short term I think Fuji makes a mess of things if they go full frame and orphan their APS-C systems. In the long run, they may not want to be the only APS-C system not to have a full frame counterpart.

I think u maybe right here.. They may think that they are caught between a rock and a hard place here.. But I think they should get a next gen xp1 out first to stabilize the situation.. Apsc is still going to be the sweet spot and most likely their volume leader. When and if they come out w/ their version of a apsc offering, I hope they do the same sort of thing Nikon has done w/ their dslr bodies to support dx/fx lenses ( if I remember correctly, someone at Fuji already said that current lenses will not handle ff).

For me, I am not interested in ff xp1 equiv. dof, dynamic range, and better iso.. Plus using ff lenses at their intended focal lenses while nice, I am already happy enough w/ what I have in apsc from the xp1 that I will probably stay w/ it or the xp1 next gen for now. I am not a dof separation type, the 1.4 is good enough for me and if I need portrait work, I can use a canon rf 50f1.2. Iso performance of current xp1 is more than what my current needs are. So the only thing would be better dynamic range, which a next gen xp1 could accomplish.

A ff x100s, actually may Interest me more as an eventual replacement for my x100 when it finally gives up the ghost.

Gary

I think it'd be strategically too early for a 35 mm format sensor. The APS-C format X-Trans sensor is barely 2 years old.

But forget FF, give us a Texas Leica w/X-Trans!!!! (I'm just poking fun here)

Fujica GW690 | Camerapedia | Fandom

You know it wouldn't surprise me if they actually did this. Of course it would cost about $4-$5,000.

I'm not sure the current X series lens cover FF. Fuji has the expertise to make whatever lenses they want to though. Two years away maybe.

Those "Texas Leicas" are great cameras, and two of them take up less room than a Hasselblad 500 with a couple of lenses.

And it's not really a bad idea if they feel they must go full frame --- one each with a 35mm, 50mm, and 80mm lens. I bet they'd beat the pants off the Sony RX1, and their own interchangeable lens system would remain unaffected.

I think it'd be strategically too early for a 35 mm format sensor. The APS-C format X-Trans sensor is barely 2 years old.

But forget FF, give us a Texas Leica w/X-Trans!!!! (I'm just poking fun here)

Fujica GW690 | Camerapedia | Fandom

Back