Spreadsheet for AMD and Intel CPUs (with price and specs)

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Hall of Famer
Name
Ovi
Hello, as I am doing research and saving up money to buy a PC I have made a small-ish spreadsheet with the main specs and prices (as of 01. June.2022, sorry I will not update the prices so it won't be valid by next month). I thought someone might find it useful if they are in similar shoes as me:
1.jpg

Context, if needed:
1) I chose only the 8 Performance cores that are higher CPUs because anything less will affect multitasking AND import/export times so only i7s and Ryzen 7 or higher.
2) I chose only the last 2 generations because it's not worth going back further without compromising the sustainability for the usage of longer the 4-5 years (security and compatibility). Inte'ls big.Little architecture is the future of manufacturing for decades to come so 12th and 13th Gen is advisable for Windows 11 and future versions.
3) Intel's big.Little architecture has 2 different kinds of cores, called Performance cores (fastest core with "old" school design) which are going to be used the most, the 2nd one is Efficiency cores (they are slower and "older" design meant for compact devices but repurposed now) which are used for any tasks that do not demand fast processing (they can and do assist the P cores but it depends on how well the software is written to schedule tasks). I have colour coded the frequency of P cores with green and E cores with blue and they are Base (Minimum) GHz to Turbo (fastest in long-duration usage, not TVB aka Thermal Velocity Boost). I also put in the L3 cache but that doesn't affect performance as much. The Intel TDP or power usage is different than AMD and it's significantly higher, you will need a really good cooler for anything above 180 W max usage, it goes up with the Max Turbo frequency.
4) AMD is more straightforward, the only difference is the X3D models that have extra cache on top of the CPU and that can make it faster in some software and some games (or sometimes even worse performance). The TDP seems lower BUT that's only for the base clocks and they can and will go higher than the rating stated.
5) Intel can use both DDR4 and DDR5 RAM for all their CPUs, I listed the default speed the RAM runs for the generation of CPUs. DDR5 is becoming significantly cheaper than DDR4 and they have higher density so you can have more of it in the same space, it's worth considering.
6) AMD runs on DDR4 only for their Zen 3 and earlier (5xxx, 3xxx, 2xxx, 1xxx) and the new Zen 4 (7xxxx) run only with DDR5. Check your entire built cost because while DDR5 is cheaper all the other components are more expensive (especially motherboards) so it's possible to cost you more to make an AMD 7000 PC than an AMD 5000 PC. But an AMD 7000 PC can be upgraded with better RAM and better CPUs in the future, a 5000 series that is available now is as best as you can get but has no upgrade path.

For me, I have strong consideration to going with used CPUs in the UK from CEX because they have a 2-year warranty on all their products and their return is very good, the prices are a lot more palpable than buying new and the market is not going to lower the cost of new components (PCs are expected to get only more expensive year on year). This may be my very last x86/x64 PC build.

Hello, as I am doing research and saving up money to buy a PC I have made a small-ish spreadsheet with the main specs and prices (as of 01. June.2022, sorry I will not update the prices so it won't be valid by next month).
It's already a year out of date so I wouldn't worry too much about next month.;)

@L0n3Gr3yW0lf Ovi, the Intel performance cores are all dual core processors, so 8xP cores equates to 16 cores, plus 4xE cores equals 20 cores total in the i7-12700, which I have. All cores seem to be used to some extent, depending on what I'm running at the time.

It is blindingly fast, and almost never gets into a sweat, no matter what I am doing. It also doesn't get over about 33⁰C.

It also doesn't use anything like the power quoted. I have real time power monitoring software for the house, and it barely budges when I power up both our main PCs. The wattage is probably measured at ~3.2V, so the actual usage at 240V is minuscule ...

When it does fire up, it is rare to see all cores running at more than about 50%, and then only for a few seconds. I very deliberately set out to build a balanced box, as per my usual approach, and it shows in the performance. The rest of the box is fast enough that there don't appear to be any bottlenecks. I'm using 32 GB DDR4 RAM and a 6 GB graphics card with multiple GPUs and 1,500+ CUDA cores. A 1 TB NVME.2 system and caching/work drive.

The new Adobe AI Den{o}ise takes around 20 seconds per image.

My "new" PC specs are here:

Like camera reviewers, computer reviewers can get carried away with BS much of the time. To gain ~10% in speed, I estimate I would have to have spent double the money.

Last edited:
Nice spreadsheet, good to have all that info laid out for ease of reference.

Are you speccing up other components yet too, or focussing on the CPU for now?
I have looked into other components as well now. I haven't set a fixed budget or specific range for them because I am trying to squeeze the best performance per £ and try to keep the budget as low as possible, I'm considering what room is left to add later as upgrade as well (like additional RAM, storage or a 2nd gen CPU if I go with the first for budget reasons)
@L0n3Gr3yW0lf Ovi, the Intel performance cores are all dual core processors, so 8xP cores equates to 16 cores, plus 4xE cores equals 20 cores total in the i7-12700, which I have. All cores seem to be used to some extent, depending on what I'm running at the time.

It is blindingly fast, and almost never gets into a sweat, no matter what I am doing. It also doesn't get over about 33⁰C.

It also doesn't use anything like the power quoted. I have real time power monitoring software for the house, and it barely budges when I power up both our main PCs. The wattage is probably measured at ~3.2V, so the actual usage at 240V is minuscule ...

When it does fire up, it is rare to see all cores running at more than about 50%, and then only for a few seconds. I very deliberately set out to build a balanced box, as per my usual approach, and it shows in the performance. The rest of the box is fast enough that there don't appear to be any bottlenecks. I'm using 32 GB DDR4 RAM and a 6 GB graphics card with multiple GPUs and 1,500+ CUDA cores. A 1 TB NVME.2 system and caching/work drive.

The new Adobe AI Denise takes around 20 seconds per image.

My "new" PC specs are here:

Like camera reviewers, computer reviewers can get carried away with BS much of the time. To gain ~10% in speed, I estimate I would have to have spent double the money.
Thanks. I am always suspicious of unusual architectural designs like multi-type core from Intel and 3D Layerd cache from AMD because they are so dependent on the software efficiency and Windows Task Scheduler to actually do what they are suppose to and gain improvements over the previous generation.

I am not looking at 5-10% improvements within even their own product line nor am I looking at the number 1 spot only. I am looking at how well does it handle the Adobe Suit software and what power it uses to do that. I plan on getting a Micro-ATX size system so cooling is going to be a challenge. I want to have portability for when I leave this place (whether I am leaving Wellington, Somerset or the UK that remains to be determined but), I need it to be less than a monster that requires a crane, create or Hulk Hogan to move,

It also doesn't use anything like the power quoted. I have real time power monitoring software for the house, and it barely budges when I power up both our main PCs. The wattage is probably measured at ~3.2V, so the actual usage at 240V is minuscule
That's not quite right - a Watt is a Watt regardless. If your power meter doesn't budge with the PCs running then they don't have the power consumption figures quoted above. Not continuously anyway.

For a given power consumption, it's current which reduces as the Volts increase, which is why the computer power supply has much thicker cables on the low voltage DC side than on the 240V AC supply side.

-R

@L0n3Gr3yW0lf Ovi, even I can manage my mid-tower case, with it full of HDDs ... :rofl: .

The i7-12700 handles the Adobe suite brilliantly. Everything happens all but instantaneously. Even AI NR only takes 20s per 20 MPx RAW image.

The reasonably powerful graphics card helps this enormously. Do not rely on onboard graphics chips!
It's going to be hard to put a full tower or mid-tower on an airplane. I would have gone Mini ITX but I have a good reason to go Micro ATX instead.
I plan to get the Intel Optane 900P 480GB card for panorama stitching to use a the scratch disk. I had more write endurance then any flash storage (by factor of hundreds of times) and good performance (no, it's not PCI Express 5.0 nVME but not does it cost like one either). I will need a bottom PCI Express 4x, 8x or 16x to fit it in, the cars itself is 4x electricians data. There aren't many motherboards that lets you split the Express lane from the CPU across the 2nd slots l, most of them reserve it for the main slot and one M.2 nVME. Going through the chipset is going to give quite the penalty on the card.
I know this is very niche but I stopped making large panos and Brenizer type images for some time because my laptop chokes for hours from insufficient RAM and the scratch disk having to go through Thunderbolt 4 hub to an external SSD.
480 GB, from observational experience, should give me about 1 GigaPixel uncropped output panorama scratch disk usage possibly even more because I will start with 64GB RAM and going to have room for double that in the future.
I may start doing large prints again next year if things go well, and I mean life size portraits and TV size panoramas. That always seems to attract attention and, hopefully,a few clients here and there (I don't expect to start running a business out of it just yet).

My current laptop is i7 9750H with 16GB DDR4 and RTX 2060 severely hampered by a 85 W TDP limit and no MUX chip on it so I lose another 10-15% performance still. It's coming up to 4 years old this autumn (which is one year away from my planned and expect active livespan as a daily driver).
Yesterday I was editing a few portraits of the residence I work with and the laptop was choking hard on RAM limit and I had to wait sometimes minutes for Lightroom to catch up with some edits like cropping, spot removal, adjustment brushes. Sometimes I get black out screen while I have to wait, making the machine unusable for any other task.
Import and exporting also stutters any video and audio playback playing in the background like music streaming, YouTube or movie (VLC player or in browser Netflix).
It pegs the the CPU on all 6 cores to 100% and throttles the speed from 4.5 GHz down to 3.2 GHz all cores and RAM usage is constantly at 15.7 GB with 6 to 9 GB of RAM going straight to Lightroom.
Temperature is not a problem as it sits bellow 85 C on both, it's power limited within BIOS (had a few BIOS patches over the years and I noticed ASUS was stripping features and control away from the user. I no longer can undervolt or control BLK that I used to, power limit doesn't do anything anymore where I used to be able to get the CPU to run to almost 4.9 GHz single core and 4.4 all core).
Also last night I was playing World War Z after the edits and now I am getting input lag and micro stutters that I didn't used to have. It's extremely frustrating.

John. Power usage is a significant issue with the current 12th and 13th gen because they use so much power when you push all cores they you can overwhelm the VRMs. There are many cases (not just reviewers but users too) where if you push the upper end Intel CPUs on lower build motherboard you can push the VRMs into overheating and get shut downs. Intel CPUs are extremely hungry and extremely heat sense chips. It takes exotic and crazy cooling to tame the 12900KS and 13900K.

AMD is better at this BUT they still use over 200W if you push them, but they can be cooled reasonable easier. Though they are struggling too, just look at the different clocks speeds between the X3D and non X3D to see how much lower TDP they have (they are less clocked because the extra cache memory is very sensitive and unstable at to high voltage, heat and speeds, that's why you can't/shouldn't overclock them).

I have been more conscious about power usage after the winters insane price for electricity (it more then doubled in price even though nothing changed in my house at all, from 3 £ per day to 8 £). GPUs have gone a bit bonkers with their power usage too, upping the TDP past 500 W on the top end and 250 W on the mid range (remember that GTX 1080 Ti used to be a 280 W card 6 years ago).
I will get a dedicated GPU though it will be the last item on the list purely because it will cost almost as much as the damn entire PC (thank you and ef you nVidia and Jenson for that, greedy bastards), probably a last gen top of the line like RTX 3090 to handle 4K 120 Hz OLED 42 inch TV (some of you might already know what I'm thinking about, yes I know about burn in).

Peraonally I have a hate relationship with Asus and their, changed, corporate culture of missadvertisments and bad customer suport and worse software support. I want to boycott them from now on ... But the PC case I want the most is, unfortunately, the Asus Prime AP201 and the alternative are not as well ventilated, good design, small size and decent priced.
I want to hate nVidia too because they are becoming one of the worst companies as culture and consumer oriented companies but again. They have the best RTX support (I'm like a fat kid in a candy shop for eye candy), best universal support for LLM type software and power efficiency. Though I am quite tempted by the Intel Arc A770 because of that amazing Topaz Denoise AI if not for the unreliable drivers.

@L0n3Gr3yW0lf Ovi, that is well and truly overloading me at the end of a difficult 2 weeks ...

My build works excellently, for me. BUT I don't do gigapixel panos, either.
Sorry. That wasn't my intent, to overload your VRMs :p

I'm happy your build works so well for you, my laptop worked well for me (especially since I got it when I was working with 20 MP files). It did its job for 4 years, frustrations aside, and it's a decent laptop still (if I don't push it) so Im not giving up on it yet.

There is another option. I can get an i7 9750H or an i9 9980H motherboard with 32GB of DDR4 and an RTX 2060 (85W) for 530 or 570 £ and I can use my old/current motherboard if I get a front assembly (keyboard, 2nd screen and trackpad) for 200 £ and the back cover for 50 £ and the cooling assembly and fans for an it 100 £ (and if I want an internal battery for another 50 £) and have half a laptop that I can use as a mini PC for gaming and media use.
That would "solve" 1/4th of performance problem and keep my setup going for another year or two but that's just side stepping the problem for about 1.200 £.

Sorry. That wasn't my intent, to overload your VRMs :p

I'm happy your build works so well for you, my laptop worked well for me (especially since I got it when I was working with 20 MP files). It did its job for 4 years, frustrations aside, and it's a decent laptop still (if I don't push it) so Im not giving up on it yet.

There is another option. I can get an i7 9750H or an i9 9980H motherboard with 32GB of DDR4 and an RTX 2060 (85W) for 530 or 570 £ and I can use my old/current motherboard if I get a front assembly (keyboard, 2nd screen and trackpad) for 200 £ and the back cover for 50 £ and the cooling assembly and fans for an it 100 £ (and if I want an internal battery for another 50 £) and have half a laptop that I can use as a mini PC for gaming and media use.
That would "solve" 1/4th of performance problem and keep my setup going for another year or two but that's just side stepping the problem for about 1.200 £.
That's a lot of money for a kludge fix, mate.

If I were you, I'd keep the laptop as backup/travel hardware, and use all that dough towards a decent desktop (under desktop ... ) box.

Without OS, keyboard, monitor, mouse or HDDs, my new box cost around AUD $2,500. That included a charge of $120 for a server box assembly. Obviously, you can still do that part yourself, I can't.

None of the Intel CPUs prior to the 12xxx series are very fast, unfortunately. The i7-12700 has the on chip graphics, which is all but useless (shares RAM, limited CUDA cores, slow ... ). The on-board network chip is similarly flawed, as it will only run at 100 Mbps, not gigabit speeds. Otherwise the Gigabyte motherboard is good. The three case fans plus standard Intel CPU cooler work fine. No need for fancy cooling systems for my use.

PCIe 5 is worth the money, even if DDR5 RAM isn't, so choose your motherboard carefully! Mine will take either 6x SATA3 devices plus 2x NVME.2, or 4x SATA3 plus 4x NVME.2. It can also take up to 128 GB DDR4 RAM.

My graphics card (NVIDIA chipset) has 6 GB physical RAM, multiple GPUs and 1500+ CUDA cores. It can share system RAM if necessary, but I've never seen it do that. It appears to be fast enough. It only cost half a kidney ... It was the only part of my build I was concerned about, but it works perfectly well.

As for transport by air. Keep the box the case comes in, with the internal packing. If you need to ship, put it in that, and send as freight. Use your laptop for normal travel.

HTH.

That's a lot of money for a kludge fix, mate.

If I were you, I'd keep the laptop as backup/travel hardware, and use all that dough towards a decent desktop (under desktop ... ) box.

Without OS, keyboard, monitor, mouse or HDDs, my new box cost around AUD $2,500. That included a charge of $120 for a server box assembly. Obviously, you can still do that part yourself, I can't.

None of the Intel CPUs prior to the 12xxx series are very fast, unfortunately. The i7-12700 has the on chip graphics, which is all but useless (shares RAM, limited CUDA cores, slow ... ). The on-board network chip is similarly flawed, as it will only run at 100 Mbps, not gigabit speeds. Otherwise the Gigabyte motherboard is good. The three case fans plus standard Intel CPU cooler work fine. No need for fancy cooling systems for my use.

PCIe 5 is worth the money, even if DDR5 RAM isn't, so choose your motherboard carefully! Mine will take either 6x SATA3 devices plus 2x NVME.2, or 4x SATA3 plus 4x NVME.2. It can also take up to 128 GB DDR4 RAM.

My graphics card (NVIDIA chipset) has 6 GB physical RAM, multiple GPUs and 1500+ CUDA cores. It can share system RAM if necessary, but I've never seen it do that. It appears to be fast enough. It only cost half a kidney ... It was the only part of my build I was concerned about, but it works perfectly well.

As for transport by air. Keep the box the case comes in, with the internal packing. If you need to ship, put it in that, and send as freight. Use your laptop for normal travel.

HTH.

This is what inspired me for that idea though it's a lot more jank and it's more expensive because the laptop is more uncommon.
I would like to support Framework and get their laptop for the upgrade path and reusability instead of e-waste but that's a different kind of conversation.

RE: airline shipping, great advice from John, wonder whether also worth removing the GPU and possibly cooler (if it's a large finned air cooler), as they're heavy items with small/fragile mounting points

I profess to an interest in tech and gadgets, but a lot of the talk in this thread re: OCing and TDP is going over my head :) I built a 5900x/3080 box in late 2021, with the intent to use it as a gaming PC and as an editing/cleanup rig for my videotape/cine film digitisation business. I'm happy with the performance, but it's definitely power hungry.
It takes 3-4 seconds per image to export a 20MP image from DxO when using DeepPrime XD - unsure on Adobe performance as I don't use any of their software, but imagine it'd be similar.

I think you can only plan ahead so far in terms of an upgrade path - being an early adopter of a chipset might mean you can upgrade to a new CPU without too much hassle, but then again tech companies are fickle, and they might pull an EF-M move and leave you high and dry anyway. When I update my CPU, I'll need a new mobo, probably new RAM - but then again, I specced this machine to last me half a decade at least, hopefully more, so who knows what sort of gubbins will be available then.

My two pence is to spec a top tier machine within budget as of now, and aim to use it for as long as possible.

Also, re: cases, bit of an older one but I recently got a Fractal Design Node 804 for my tape capture machine (need a lot of hard drives) - it's an mATX box, wider than your quoted Asus case, but shorter in height and depth (Asus 205 x 350 x 460 mm, Fractal Design 344 x 307 x 389 mm). Lots of space for drives, fans, and fits a full size GPU with no prob. Plus it's a nice solid cube which also came in a solid box, so it's got as good a chance as any at successfully travelling

@sasquatchphotog Some relevant info here about TDP. It can be quite a rubber ruler when misused in general conversation ...

It's worth carefully reading the whole article to gain an accurate understanding of what it can mean.

For example, my motherboard allows me to have full control of both the CPU and GPU with regard to overcooking (OC). However, the automatic controls on both appear to work very well, and system temperatures remain pretty stable at around 33°C in use and about 27°C when idling.

This is a lot, lot cooler than my old system, where the Core2Duo CPU would frequently run at well over 70°C!

I put this down to a few things -

1) my new PC "revs up" very fast, and falls back just as quickly; and
2) there are no bottlenecks in the system that keep the CPU/GPU revving hard while waiting for slower peripherals; and
3) the graphics card has both a huge heatsink AND two big fans. It is also a PCIe5 card in a PCIe5 slot; and
4) while the box is new (Coolermaster), it has 3x 120mm fans and lots of passive ventilation. I bought an over specified PSU (750W) for it, so no competition for power to keep everything happy; and
5) 32 GB DDR4 RAM is sufficient for everything I do (helped along by the graphics card having 6 GB of hardware DDR5 RAM on it), so not wasting clock cycles and power doing memory swaps.

@L0n3Gr3yW0lf Ovi, don't be a alpha/beta tester with your very hard earned cash. Basically, go with what you feel comfortable with.

All electronics here are recycled now. I'm sure it's the same there.
Luckily I am not looking into getting another laptop, I would be more likely looking into getting a tablet for travel but that's in the future.

The Western culture wastes electronics more than the East even with recycling. And the waste can be dumb-struckling incomprehensible: Google is decommissioning Chromebooks for schools after 4 years of usage by cutting security updates and making them unsafe even though they are perfectly fine even performance-wise. But the build quality of them is so bad that they break on mass and the design is so poor it requires changing an entire keyboard for one broken button.
While recently, I discovered through one of the big and best YouTube channels for PC tech, the East make-shift market is pulling out older gen chips that are perfectly functional (like laptop 11th gen and 12th-gen Intel CPUs) and soldering them to makeshift motherboards and reverse engineer BIOS to reuse discarded devices. One company even solders a cold plate on top of the chips to make up the height difference between laptop and desktop cooling systems and chip design.

Anywho/
RE: airline shipping, great advice from John, wonder whether also worth removing the GPU and possibly cooler (if it's a large finned air cooler), as they're heavy items with small/fragile mounting points

I profess to an interest in tech and gadgets, but a lot of the talk in this thread re: OCing and TDP is going over my head :) I built a 5900x/3080 box in late 2021, with the intent to use it as a gaming PC and as an editing/cleanup rig for my videotape/cine film digitisation business. I'm happy with the performance, but it's definitely power hungry.
It takes 3-4 seconds per image to export a 20MP image from DxO when using DeepPrime XD - unsure on Adobe performance as I don't use any of their software, but imagine it'd be similar.

I think you can only plan ahead so far in terms of an upgrade path - being an early adopter of a chipset might mean you can upgrade to a new CPU without too much hassle, but then again tech companies are fickle, and they might pull an EF-M move and leave you high and dry anyway. When I update my CPU, I'll need a new mobo, probably new RAM - but then again, I specced this machine to last me half a decade at least, hopefully more, so who knows what sort of gubbins will be available then.

My two pence is to spec a top tier machine within budget as of now, and aim to use it for as long as possible.

Also, re: cases, bit of an older one but I recently got a Fractal Design Node 804 for my tape capture machine (need a lot of hard drives) - it's an mATX box, wider than your quoted Asus case, but shorter in height and depth (Asus 205 x 350 x 460 mm, Fractal Design 344 x 307 x 389 mm). Lots of space for drives, fans, and fits a full size GPU with no prob. Plus it's a nice solid cube which also came in a solid box, so it's got as good a chance as any at successfully travelling
It is absolutely worth and recommended that you take off GPUs and any kind of tower cooler off the motherboard because the weight can and will rip off the connectors and if it starts shaking in the case it will destroy most things in the PC.
Here's a good tutorial on how to pack and travel with a PC:

OC or overclocking is almost dead and unnecessary at this point. Don't get me wrong, for fun you can definitely try it and you may get a little bit more out of it, but Intel, AMD and nVidia are already pushing their products to their limit out of the box (unless you get the lowers SKUs possible).
*AMD has it's TJmax, the maximum temperature that the internal boosting mechanism will allow the CPU to run, is 95 C, meaning that the CPU will overclock itself to run as fast as it can before reaching that temperature, after which it will stay there or lower itself if the workload keeps pushing the CPU. The new X3D chips have the TJmax lower at 89 C because the extra cache on top of the CPU is temperature sensitive and it makes the CPU run slower, that's why their new CPUs have 120 W instead of 170 W Thermal Design Power.
*Intel has a TJmax of 100 C to 105 C (the K models have it higher), which makes them technically run hotter but also faster before reaching their limit. That's why Intel tends to be on top of the list for Ghz frequencies when boosting. But the power draw of Intel CPUs is significantly higher and in most benchmarks it can push past 250 W of usage and they are notoriously difficult to cool down for long, heavy or sustained workloads like AVX, video encoding, and streaming video games.
*nVidia and AMD have TJmax for their GPUs as well but they work a bit differently than CPUs because the chips are significantly larger in a square space area. Both have around 105 C temperature limit but the components are more densely packed on the GPU than on a motherboard so additional components will affect the temperature and speed of a graphics card. Memory on GPU heats up significantly and being around and next to the GPU will affect its temperature, the more memory chips you have the larger the impact, it is one (of many others as well) of the reason why the higher-end GPUs are larger (3 slots or even 4 slots GPU, longer boards) and heavier (more heat pipes and more fins and more fans). Power delivery and VRM (Voltage Regulator Modules) also get very hot on GPUs because they are running at a significantly higher power delivery for mid-range and higher-end GPUs (for example an RTX 3070 draws "only" 220 W while an RTX 3090 draws 350 W and an RTX 4090 Ti draws up to 600 W, which is as much as past PC used to draw in total).

In the end, you can ask a CPU or a GPU to overclock and go faster but you gain a few % while the heat generated and the power required goes up significantly more for not a lot of gain. I used to love overclocking but now I would run at stock speed because it's fast enough and I want to keep the system running more reliably long term.

For the upgrade path you have, currently, 2 options:
*AMD gives you about 3-4 years span for a motherboard socket where you can get a newer generation CPU, after a BIOS update). Though it's not completely painless and in some instances, you will have to sacrifice compatibility (as the BIOS update adds new CPU to support it may have to remove old ones to make room for the very limited storage those chips have).
*Intel gives TWO CPU generation upgrades per chip but you need to check well about the compatibility because they are compatible only within one current and one future generation. for example: 12th and 13th gen, 10th and 11th gen, 8th and 9th gen. Because of the 10-15% improvement within one generation update (for example from 12th to 13th), I don't recommend going from a high-end CPU to another high-end CPU as an upgrade because you do receive not a lot of gain for your money. A better upgrade would be, if you do not have the funds for a high-end CPU from the start, is get an i7 current or last gen and then upgrade later to an i9 current or next-gen (or i5 to i7, etc), the gain will be about 25 to 45% performance gain instead, which (to me) makes more sense as an upgrade.

If you need to get a new motherboard to accommodate a new CPU and new RAM then it's basically a new PC, which is an upgrade but a very costly one so the consideration for it would be more than just needing a thing or two extras.

I used to own the Thermaltake Core V1:
main.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

But for some reason it never quite stuck with me and I don't know why I didn't like it as much. It had good cooling capacity and a large enough fan to keep the airflow good but quiet.

The last PC I built was about 8 years ago and I made it around this chase:
maxresdefault.jpg

The Thermaltake Core G3 (not my PC in the picture), which I loved to build in it because it was an inverted motherboard layout, very small, slim and portable. I built it around an Intel Core i7 3770K water-cooled with a 24mm AIO and pushed the little CPU to 4.4 GHz all core, 32GB DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 Fury Nano. I sold the PC 4 years ago after realizing that my ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo was faster at literally everything.

Back