St. Nicholas Cathedral in Kyiv

stratokaster

Top Veteran
Name
Pavel
5407782271_c8c34a3351_b.jpg

This is probably the most interesting building in Kyiv. It's hard to tell from this picture, but it's in a very bad condition. 6 years ago corrupted city officials allowed a commercial company to build a business center right in the cathedral's buffer zone. This severely damaged cathedral's foundation and some experts have expressed fears that this wonderful structure is now beyond repair and must be demolished before it becomes really dangerous. Sometimes greed and stupidity really lead to catastrophic consequences.

I hope your car isn't one of those parked outside!!:D Seriously it's very sad when things like that happen to such a beautiful building. Great shot, let's hope it's not just going to be a memory!

stratokaster, it does look impressive! I'd love to see more pictures both inside and outside, if you have them.

I can't stand to think of its being demolished!

Well, there is a large group of activists called 'Save Old Kyiv' who are working on saving old and historical buildings. Right now the cathedral's fate is not yet decided, people are trying to raise funds for its restoration. We all hope it's possible.

I'm glad to hear it and I'd bet you anything that your photographs (those of the interior that you are going to take, as well) will be a huge help to generating interest and enthusiasm. Often people who live near these places that are in the lines of a wrecking ball don't always realize their beauty and importance.

Please keep us posted on this, stratokaster!

Back