Star Trails and the Milky Way

Jman13

Regular
I went a ways out of town in the middle of the night last night to try and get some cool shots of this 'big meteor shower'. I woke up at 1:30AM and drove an hour outside the city to get away from the light pollution. Unfortunately, there were hardly any meteors (you can see one in the star trail image). But I got some Ok shots anyway. Left at 4:30 and got home by dawn.

This first shot is a stack of 95 exposures, all at 14mm, f/2.8, 30 seconds and ISO 800 with the X-T1. (So ~48 minute exposure)

star_trails.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A different stack, using only three exposures: one light painting shot, the car passing, and the shot that captured the meteor:
star_swirl.jpg

These are shorter single exposures. The last one, you can see the massive light pollution facing Columbus.

8mm fisheye
lake_logan1.jpg

14/2.8:
lake_logan_boat.jpg

lake_logan2.jpg

I LOVE trying to capture the night sky! It takes a bit to get away from our city's light pollution but after an hour's drive, I reached the darkest place in the eastern part of Kansas. Star Trails is still on my photographic bucket list but here are a few of the Milky Way and one with the Big Dipper with a man placed rock called Teter Rock in the Flint Hills of Kansas.
OM1-Teter-Rock-8151191-Enhanced-NR-topaz-denoise-sharpen-topaz-denoise-sharpen.jpg
OM1-Teter-Rock-8151202-topaz-denoise-sharpen.jpg
OM1-Teter-Rock-8151218-Enhanced-NR.jpg

I LOVE trying to capture the night sky! It takes a bit to get away from our city's light pollution but after an hour's drive, I reached the darkest place in the eastern part of Kansas. Star Trails is still on my photographic bucket list but here are a few of the Milky Way and one with the Big Dipper with a man placed rock called Teter Rock in the Flint Hills of Kansas. View attachment 406299View attachment 406300View attachment 406301
I got to stay home and watch the dogs. Truth be told, I could not stay up that late. She got home around 1:00 am.

Back