Micro 4/3 Startling Comparison ...

Just had to find out what all the fuss was about the Olympus 12-100 f4 Pro lens, so I rented one to compare with my Lumix 12-60 f3.5-5.6 and my Lumix 45-175 f4-5.6. Now, both my Lumix lenses possess extremely good IQ, but I didn't expect them to be as good, if not better than the Oly 12-100. Testing was done at 12mm f4; 50mm f5.6; and 100mm f5.6 (didn't include pics as they were simply backyard images for comparison testing).
Yes, the Oly is very good as a 8X zoom and has great features. BUT, for the price I paid for my Lumix lenses (total < $450), I won't even consider replacing them with the Oly. No Way!

Real Name
David
I don't have the 12-60 to compare. But maybe you have really good copies of the Panasonic lenses and/or a bad copy of the 12-100? Also you're using Panasonic bodies correct?

I know for me it's the whole package including the range, Sync IS, sealing, etc. Not just the great image quality I get.

Did it again; this time I rented the Olympus 40-150 f2.8 Pro lens, and guess what? :hmmm:
I.Q. between it and my truly awesome Lumix X 45-175 PZ are practically indiscernible.
The physical differences are astounding! 37 oz vs 9 oz!

EM521336-SSF.jpg

Last edited:

mike3996

Hall of Famer
Impressive but you do get 1-2 more stops of light with the big Olympus. Certainly not nothing if you need it.

Is the power zooming an optional feature on the Panasonic, I think it is?

Impressive but you do get 1-2 more stops of light with the big Olympus. Certainly not nothing if you need it.

Is the power zooming an optional feature on the Panasonic, I think it is?
Oh yes, the big Oly is an impressive piece for sure. Just not for my needs/wants. It really confirmed the great I.Q. of my Lumix 45-175. Power zooming is the only way the Lumix 45-175 zooms; either by switch or control ring. Internal (no extending).

Latest threads

Top Bottom