Steve Jobs: 1955-2011

Just pick up any device that has buttons on it and if it wasn't made by Apple (with Steve's influence) you need a manual to figure it out. Enough said. BTW, I still have a set of Apple bookshelf speakers I bought with an external CD drive to hook up to my 660AV machine back in the early 90s when the powerpc chip machines were just starting to turn up. I connect my iPhone to them while I'm in the shower. BTW, I still have the 660av and I'm sure it still works, still have my 520c laptop and a couple other old Apple's somewhere in the basement.

Gone too soon ...

Always admired the man for his drive, flair and pioneering spirit.
I was wondering and waiting for what he'd do if he ever got into the camera business ...

Its a sad day when anyone dies because of this evil destroyer of bodies and minds, and its even sadder when someone who has been responsible for shaping the world we live in is taken by it. It shows that all the money and rescources that someone possesses are still no defence.

56 is no age at all these days and in these days of constant technological achievement, its ironic that someone who has helped to advance what we do and create and market many of the tools we use to do our work and enjoy ourselves, has been struck down by one of the oldest and most pernicious klllers on the planet.

I'm sitting here typing this on an Apple laptop, and have spent a good deal of the last 25 years earning a living, teaching others and communicating with the world using Apple products. They have become a part of my life. Though far from alone in doing this, Steve Jobs was heavily involved in turning round a struggling and lost company into a global brand that stands for style, innovation and quality with the majority of its products.

The death of well-known people often leaves me unmoved, but this is not the case here. When he and his contemporaries were assembling components in their garages, I doubt few of them would have had thoughts about what their endeavours would lead to. I have no doubt that the contribution that he and his fellow pioneers have made has been immense and has been a profound influence on how the world works.

Many of us ask ourselves "Did we make a difference?" and can struggle to find a satisfactory answer to that. In the case of Steve Jobs, the answer to that question is a resounding yes, and for that reason I am sad that he has died, as I believe he still had much to offer.

a very sad and (dismal) day

you always ask why why? especially at such a "young" age - but that's what happens to us humans - we have no explanation

RIP

While listening to the radio, I just managed to catch the tail end of a discussion about Steve Jobs' life...it was on NPR (our National Public Radio here in the states) and I heard an excerpt from his worthy 2005 commencement speech at Stanford. I'm pretty sure that I first heard about this speech thanks to our own summerki AKA Kevin. I remember making my husband listen to it and then passing a link along to our daughter. I just looked it up and read it again. I continue to find it very inspirational.

If you haven't read it, I urge you to. If you have, you might want to reread it - or you can listen: Text of Steve Jobs' Commencement address (2005) It's all the more poignant today, but the parts that hit home are always going to be relevant to everyone's life...no matter where they think they are on that road. I think that I'll pass this along again to my daughter.

Back