Nikon Still a compact user ... and using another DSLR (D3100)

JJJPhoto

Regular
I sold all my Nikon and Canon gear a few years ago after deciding the Olympus 4/3 and m4/3 gear was all I needed for personal stuff and work. However, I held onto some of my Nikon flashes and I've picked up a Sigma DP2s and Fujifilm X10 since getting rid of the Nikon and Canon DSLRs and moving to Olympus.

Anyway, I just picked up the D3100 so I could use some of the new Nikon primes that look pretty nice (the new 50mm 1.8G, 85mm 1.8G and 28mm 1.8G all look fantastic). I didn't want a big camera and I liked the deal I found for the D3100 so I decided to go with that DSLR instead of a larger body or the D3200. The D3100 with the new 50mm 1.8G shouldn't be "that much" bigger than my E-P3 with the Pana-Leica 25mm 1.4 with hood (and smaller than the E-P3 with the 12-60mm and 4/3-m4/3 adapter that I often use).

I have a D3100 and it's a super little beastie. I have the kit lens which I don't use and instead I just use a 35mm f1.8G. I would love to get the 50mm F1.8G as images from this lens look fantastic! I will be getting either the Panasonic G5, LX6 or Panasonic Pro camera when they are released as I get Panasonic goodies for free....kind of!

I used to have the D90 and the 35mm 1.8G was my main lens on that camera before I sold all my Nikon gear. I might get the 35mm 1.8G instead of the 28mm 1.8G because of the smaller size and lower price, but I really like the sample images I've seen from the 28mm and I remember always wanting the 35mm to be "just a little wider" on the D90. In any case, I will definitely pick up the new 50mm and I'll have to decide whether I go for the 28mm or the 35mm. Eventually I'll add the 85mm 1.8G as well.

The only other lens I "might" get beside the 50mm, 85mm and 28mm/35mm is the Nikon 10.5mm 2.8G so I have a nice wide angle prime. Technically the 10.5 is a fisheye but it's a full frame fisheye and the distortion isn't too terrible. I don't really want to rebuild a huge Nikon kit ... I just wanted a small Nikon DSLR to use with a few nice primes.

The 18-55mm VR kit lens isn't terrible, but I prefer fast primes ... which is probably why I've enjoyed using the Olympus Pen cameras more than the 4/3 DSLRs and why the Oly 50mm is my most used 4/3 lens despite the fact that I own several very nice 4/3 zoom lenses.

I got the 50mm 1.8G today. It's a nice prime and it balances perfectly on the D3100. I was really impressed by the bokeh from this lens considering the price.

DSC0243-M.jpg

DSC0250-M.jpg

DSC0256-M.jpg

Can you guys post some shots with the 35mm f/1.8? Would love to see that one (especially people shots!)

I don't have the 35mm 1.8G now but, as I mentioned earlier, I used to have it. Here are a few images I took with the 35mm 1.8G.

I took this self portrait wide open in my office using available light if I recall correctly (I think there was light from my computer screen and light from an overhead tungsten light fixture ... which is why there are mixed color temperatures). I was holding the camera slightly above me and to my left so the camera-to-subject distance is pretty close (I have arms of a normal length for an adult male who is 6'1"). In all honesty, I can't blame distortion for how I look in this shot ... I really am this ugly. ;)

492934330_xN6zo-L.jpg

Here is a shot of my daughter taken at f/1.8 with a background of our yard covered in leaf debris after a storm:
492938552_KHrMC-L.jpg

This one was taken at f/2.8:
497629801_qZGUo-L.jpg

This shot (obviously not a "people shot") was taken at f/3.2 and I cropped it a little.
500882804_enbrW-L.jpg

Thanks so much for those photos! That was exactly what I was looking for. I've read very good things about the lens, but have only seen test shots and charts. Looks very nice to me.

Back