Still getting used to smaller sensor - how to process this photo?

Thanks for all the responses, I've read and re-read this thread several times over, there's a lot of absorb, it has been an absolute education. The discussion has certainly opened up a new way of thinking for me. My way of thinking has been in a filmmaking frame of mind (no pun intended) when I came to this forum, where 35mm film and/or big sensor digital motion capture cameras are an asset (more or less, up to a certain extent) particularly in narrative filmmaking. So the responses here have opened my mind to alternative methods of approaching visual imagery.

kusch and olli - thanks for your interpretation or re-framing, both your approaches look great. A little crop or a little blur on a particular area of the photo certainly makes a big difference to the entirety of the photo, I didn't think of approaching it the way you have. I'm actually amazed how much of a subtle difference it made, if that makes sense.

Wally and fuddlestack - that Winogrand photo still amazes me, I kept coming back to look at it to try and work out how it is that the light fell the way it did. I mean, there must've been nothing Winogrand could've done to 'set up' the shot with the pedestrians because they're presumably random people going about their business. The one thing he could possibly have done was to anticipate a photo oppportunity at that particular spot in the pavement where he knew the light was falling in that way and then waited at that particular spot for the right moment when the random unknown/moving elements fell into place.

Ray - a vast majority of my photos are misses! I looked at my photo count, I've taken over 1000 photos just in the past week with the LX5. That's from virtually nothing just prior to buying the LX5 (but there are other reasons why I guess).

Streetshooter - NOW I know what those lines are for and how it could help in perceiving or guiding the placement of an image. I have to admit I was surprised that it sort of 'fits' over the photo.

dierdre - I used f/2.0, and you are right about depth of field, I meant what you said. I still muddle up my words when it comes to talking about depth of field, f/stops and aperture, it's counter-intuitive.

Wally and fuddlestack - that Winogrand photo still amazes me, I kept coming back to look at it to try and work out how it is that the light fell the way it did. I mean, there must've been nothing Winogrand could've done to 'set up' the shot with the pedestrians because they're presumably random people going about their business. The one thing he could possibly have done was to anticipate a photo oppportunity at that particular spot in the pavement where he knew the light was falling in that way and then waited at that particular spot for the right moment when the random unknown/moving elements fell into place.

One thing to keep in mind about Winogrand is that he lived in the areas he shot and would go out shooting everyday. No doubt that he knew how the light would fall there and at what time(s) of the day it would be doing that. My guess is he took many shots in that exact spot most of them being misses

"As you go throughout your life,
brother, whatever be your goal...
Keep your eye upon the donut,
and not upon the hole."

Polo mints are healthier!

when do we start wishing each other Merry Xmas - we have just "moved to the country" - wet and cold - I'm at the "chain saw" again - making fires and filling the paraffin heaters, (primitive I know) - but this is Europe
Waiting for the kids, (28 and 23), who are driving down from the UK tomorrow after taking tonight's cross channel boat - weather forecast is stormy, so my daughter is not too pleased - Christmas Day family meal with them before their "other halves" fly out on Boxing Day

Merry Christmas to all - "have a good one" as you lot say "over the pond"

"As you go throughout your life,
brother, whatever be your goal...
Keep your eye upon the donut,
and not upon the hole."

I really like the way the members of this forum approach their craft. Particularly Wally's post earlier in this thread about Limelight and your words here streetshooter, be it tongue-in-cheek or otherwise!

when do we start wishing each other Merry Xmas - we have just "moved to the country" - wet and cold - I'm at the "chain saw" again - making fires and filling the paraffin heaters, (primitive I know) - but this is Europe
Waiting for the kids, (28 and 23), who are driving down from the UK tomorrow after taking tonight's cross channel boat - weather forecast is stormy, so my daughter is not too pleased - Christmas Day family meal with them before their "other halves" fly out on Boxing Day

Your description there is almost as good as any photo, particularly when you said you were at the chain saw again making fires, I could see it in my mind's eye.

Back