Fuji Still in awe of the X100

Visited a friend and his wife in their new house a couple of days ago, and just shot this randomly as I was standing at the kitchen counter. I didn't expect much, I was just playing... but this darned camera has even captured the steam coming out of the kettle as he was pouring... I suppose I shouldnt be surprised or amazed... but I am.

The only PP is noise reduction (dfine2, thanks Nik software) and a crop and size reduction.

i love mine
but im beginning to think ill have to go for raw instead of jpg
i mess with stuff too much in post...(not that any camera i own i can shoot just jpg and get away with it)
if i were more into PHOTOGRAPHY and less into POST PROCESSING, then im sure itd be fantasmic! :)
i LOVE that it has the built in ND filter
that is SO handy...

Where is the best place to get the wide lens? I might get one for my trip to the UK next year?
I think there are some on ebay from the HK dealers. I can't afford the B&H price and I sure can't afford local prices (mind you these days theres not much difference!). Check DCW before heading to DWI et al, I'm finding DCW cheaper in recent months, and its aussie stock and warranty.

I viewed the price as reasonable in terms of adding capability to the camera. Certainly more cost-effective than a $300 grip for an Olympus E-M5....IMHO.

Chuck, I understand your stance. It's definitely user specific though. Regarding the Oly E-M5, once I had tried the grip, I couldn;t live without it. But then thinking about the price (for the grip) I couldn't live WITH it. So I sold the camera.

Regarding the X100, it's native lens is on the wide side of normal. Adding the converter makes it wider. Not a TON wider, but for wide shooters I imagine it's an important difference.

My view is that the grip makes the camera eminently more usable in EVERY situation. If I had kept the camera it would have definitley been with the grip (even though I would have never used the extra battery slot....it would have just been a dumb grip). I have (and LOVE) the X100 and I don't see enough of a difference in focal length to buy the adapter. Obviously I'm not a wide angle shooter. I'll occasionally stitch a few shots when I need wide angle.

So it's clearly horses for courses (whatever that means).

I really wish Fuji did a 50mm version. I have never shot 35mm (at least in terms of 135 FOV), but I'm so envious of those with this camera.

Chuck, I understand your stance. It's definitely user specific though. Regarding the Oly E-M5, once I had tried the grip, I couldn;t live without it. But then thinking about the price (for the grip) I couldn't live WITH it. So I sold the camera.

Regarding the X100, it's native lens is on the wide side of normal. Adding the converter makes it wider. Not a TON wider, but for wide shooters I imagine it's an important difference.

My view is that the grip makes the camera eminently more usable in EVERY situation. If I had kept the camera it would have definitley been with the grip (even though I would have never used the extra battery slot....it would have just been a dumb grip). I have (and LOVE) the X100 and I don't see enough of a difference in focal length to buy the adapter. Obviously I'm not a wide angle shooter. I'll occasionally stitch a few shots when I need wide angle.

So it's clearly horses for courses (whatever that means).

Luke, good point. My analogy wasn't well thought out; more of an opportunity to rant about the grip, which was the tipping point that drove the E-M5 into uneconomic territory for me.

I viewed the price as reasonable in terms of adding capability to the camera. Certainly more cost-effective than a $300 grip for an Olympus E-M5....IMHO.

Only reasonable if you have the income to support it, and havent got a sick cat needing $4-700 worth of stuff done to just maybe make him better. $349US+shipping is about equal to half my fortnightly income. So its going to have to wait a very long time. There are other things more important right now, and in the near future. the existing lens does a fab job, and I have a nice 15mm for my K-5.

Only reasonable if you have the income to support it, and havent got a sick cat needing $4-700 worth of stuff done to just maybe make him better. $349US+shipping is about equal to half my fortnightly income. So its going to have to wait a very long time. There are other things more important right now, and in the near future. the existing lens does a fab job, and I have a nice 15mm for my K-5.

I apologize for the insensitivity that attached itself to my use of "reasonable". Very poor choice of words on my part.

The wide angle converter is clearly a luxury item in the "nice to have" category. It's not necessary for capturing great images - as you prove over and over again.

Visited a friend and his wife in their new house a couple of days ago, and just shot this randomly as I was standing at the kitchen counter. I didn't expect much, I was just playing... but this darned camera has even captured the steam coming out of the kettle as he was pouring... I suppose I shouldnt be surprised or amazed... but I am.

You certainly have a photoraphers eye, Sue. Had the photo been posed, no way could it have been better. Thanks. And yes, the X100 continually surprises.

Glyn

As an old 35mm (pre digital) photographer, a 50mm lens was considered the standard focal length, 90mm for portraits. I think the X100 28mm equates to about a 35mm focal length on such a 35mm camera. Initially, I hesitated buying the X100 because of this, but now I am very pleased with it & amazed at its performance.
For my own current photographic needs, the converter has a low priority.

You certainly have a photoraphers eye, Sue. Had the photo been posed, no way could it have been better. Thanks. And yes, the X100 continually surprises.

Glyn

Glyn thank you so much for your kind remark! I rather think the X100 will be a keeper... I may end up selling a whole lot of my other cameras, but this one? nope... its a goody. Like you, I also came to digital from a film SLR + 50mm lens (I even use the old one with an adapter on the K-5 from time to time) and I always worried about the wider view, until I got a 15mm on a crop sensor, and realised that wide is good for nearly anything... immediately wishing I had got the 21mm too.

I don't know what it is about the x100, but I find that it just seems easier than futzing about with a DSLR... even though I love my Pentax...

Back