Strange activity on Flickr

AndyMcD

All-Pro
Overnight I received a large number of "favourites" for a bunch of my pictures from a group of Flickr "users" who all have avatars of young ladies' faces, have joined in 2018, have never posted any pictures and have random collections of letters instead of real names. For example, "Renee Thomas" real name "cwvqhghm86".

I assume that this is some sort of automated bot related process, but I'm not sure to what end (though I can guess).

Feels like another nail in Flickr's coffin as far as I am concerned. Anyone else noticing this type of thing?

Overnight I received a large number of "favourites" for a bunch of my pictures from a group of Flickr "users" who all have avatars of young ladies' faces, have joined in 2018, have never posted any pictures and have random collections of letters instead of real names. For example, "Renee Thomas" real name "cwvqhghm86".

I assume that this is some sort of automated bot related process, but I'm not sure to what end (though I can guess).

Feels like another nail in Flickr's coffin as far as I am concerned. Anyone else noticing this type of thing?
Oh yes, this is a very hot topic on the flickr help forum today. Some people have had hundreds of these things. I’ve had to block about a dozen accounts today. The best approach is to go onto the “about” page for each account, click “report abuse” and choose “spam-o-rama” as the category. This is the third such attack in the last few months. Hopefully Smugmug might throw some more resources at preventing this than Yahoo did.

I had the described activity a couple of days ago. Didn’t report or block.
Just checked my activity page this morning and the (members ?) have disappeared. I’ve only ever blocked a few accounts since joining. That was down to the members content. I’m still happy in the Flickr camp.

Ha! - told yoose:

Another Unusual Flickr Problem

Seriously though, it seems to have gone away, for now at least. It *will* come back again though. When I first reported 2 weeks ago it was the first time, this thread represents the second time. Almost all my free time yesterday was spent blocking.
This is the second instance using favourites but some months ago there was a another wave of spam comments linking to similarly disreputable websites. This is getting tiresome!

Hello All,
Yes, I had those favorites from people with no photographs too??!!
Martin's advice above, worked great.
Block them. Report them if it keeps up.
Just this morning, most of those ""favorites" and user names have disappeared.
So, back to work.
JH

Back