Street Art in Santurce, Puerto Rico.

ajramirez

Hall of Famer
Jul 9, 2010
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Antonio
After a successful completion of the Single in January challenge earlier this year, I ended up not taking a single shot during the entire month of February. These are from my first outing this month, a stroll around Cerra Street in Santurce, Puerto Rico, where they are starting to get ready for this year's Santurce es Ley festival.

En la Cerra
by Antonio Ramirez, on Flickr

En la Cerra

En la Cerra

En la Cerra

En la Aurora

La silla

En la Cerra

En la Elisa Cerra

All on the Leica M-P and 24mm 3.8 Elmar M (1 and 2), 50mm Summilux (3, 5, 6, 8), 18mm 4.0 ZM Distagon (7), and 90mm 2.5 Summarit (4).

Cheers,

Antonio

ajramirez

Hall of Famer
Jul 9, 2010
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Antonio
These are wonderful Antonio. Such talented artists. What is the festival about?
It's a street art festival. It's on its sixth year. It takes place in a four block section of Santurce that is experiencing a renaissance. Artists both from Puerto Rico and abroad, work on their murals during the weeks prior to the festival, which then takes place over a weekend. This year its on the weekend of 12th March. During the festival, the streets are closed, galleries open, and music and performance presentations take place. It's great fun and some of the art is amazing.

Thank you, Karen, for your kind comment.

Cheers,

Antonio

jssaraiva

Top Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
Porto, Portugal
José
Already appreciated the ones posted for SiJ, but the way you added context and used it to enhance the image on these it's making them quite special.

Sent from my iPhone using Photographers Lounge mobile app

Ray Sachs

Legend
Sep 21, 2010
Not too far from Philly
you should be able to figure it out...
Yeah, all really good Antonio, but I too prefer the ones with a bit of the environment enhancing the street art, whether the reflection in the first or the rubble in the next to last....

-Ray

ajramirez

Hall of Famer
Jul 9, 2010
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Antonio
Yeah, all really good Antonio, but I too prefer the ones with a bit of the environment enhancing the street art, whether the reflection in the first or the rubble in the next to last....

-Ray
I agree. The challenge is always to present the street art as part of a scene, or conversely, present a detail that stands out as a piece of art by itself. Otherwise, you are just reproducing someone else's art. Some of my street art shots accomplish this, others not so much.

Cheers,

Antonio

Ray Sachs

Legend
Sep 21, 2010
Not too far from Philly
you should be able to figure it out...
I agree. The challenge is always to present the street art as part of a scene, or conversely, present a detail that stands out as a piece of art by itself. Otherwise, you are just reproducing someone else's art. Some of my street art shots accomplish this, others not so much.
Nothing wrong with a purely documentary approach sometimes, but I always prefer when the photographer brings something of him or her self into the equation. I was acutely aware of this when I was shooting a LOT of street art in the Mission District in San Francisco a couple of years ago. A lot of it I just documented (it was sooo good I had to at least do THAT), but whenever possible, I tried to add something of myself to it. Sometimes possible, sometimes not...

-Ray

ajramirez

Hall of Famer
Jul 9, 2010
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Antonio
Some more shots from the actual festival. There are no artistic pretensions on my part in any of these shots; they are strictly documentary. If you click through the photos to my Flickr page, the photo descriptions identify most of the artists and their home country.

En la Cerra

En la Aurora

En la Aurora

En la Elisa Cerra

En la Cerra

En la Elisa Cerra

En la Cerra

Don Senario

Wilsons Car

Wilsons Car

Wilsons Car

Some of the people involved in making the art:

En la Elisa Cerra

Costura

Costura

Costura

Some of the people at the festival:

Se hacen dreadlocks

Se hacen dreadlocks

The Commerce of Art

The Commerce of Art

And, one of my kid:

Antonio

All on the Leica M-P with the 24mm 3.8 Elmar M, 50mm Summilux ASPH, 90mm 2.5 Summarit, and 18mm 4.0 ZM Distagon.

Cheers,

Antonio

Latest threads

Top Bottom