Street Street - It's Not Always Candid

Petach

Hall of Famer
Name
Peter Tachauer
Sometimes, the eyeball to eyeball between the shooter and the target makes the whole dynamic of a shot. They know and I know that they know...it's like an agreement but without a signature, more like a nod of acceptance.....an acknowledgment that something happened between you, but you will never meet again. I don't suppose the following flickr link contains all my "Contact" shots but not far off maybe? Some are fun, some perplexed, some very tense....all flavours of the street.

The mobile phone generation almost smile..I guess they take so many selfies. . its just normal , But the older generation..most look like they're about to kick your head in!

Street photography is not necessarily tied to being pure "candid" without recognition by the subject. Sometimes the shots are carefully planned or even orchestrated. It depends upon the intent of the photographer.

Street photography is not necessarily tied to being pure "candid" without recognition by the subject. Sometimes the shots are carefully planned or even orchestrated. It depends upon the intent of the photographer.
I think that comes down to whether you want to "get" a photo with a particular "look" or in a particular genre, or whether you want to capture what's already happening. I like the latter, but I consider the stare/reaction to me to be a natural act of that. What it comes down to for me is whether the person has made the choice to start acting a certain way as a result of my photographing.

I think that comes down to whether you want to "get" a photo with a particular "look" or in a particular genre, or whether you want to capture what's already happening. I like the latter, but I consider the stare/reaction to me to be a natural act of that. What it comes down to for me is whether the person has made the choice to start acting a certain way as a result of my photographing.
Indeed true! For me the look/genre is most important since that is the essence of what is already happening. I tend to shoot what I think is interesting and tells a story at least compositionally. For example this photo during Cinco de Mayo of a lady walking on a popular downtown street and others simply observing what passes by.
tf725459.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In other cases it is simply their environment
ajf335.jpg
7008-0417-02a.jpg
alley0006a.jpg

Last edited:
Back