Performing Arts Street musicians of New York City

Ming P

Regular
This group, called Triad Brass, performed recently next to Greely Square Park in Midtown Manhattan, as part of the Midtown Music program. They are a (not entirely) brass ensemble who play jazz, hip hop, and other contemporary music. For this show, their lineup was one trumpet, one trombone, one sousaphone (which is a standing tuba variant), one saxophone (alto, possibly), and one drum set.

There was too much in the way of distracting elements for a whole group composition. Instead, I focused on getting shots of the individual musicians with mid to long telephotos. To start off, here is the trumpet player. A lot of these have tighter than ideal crops due to distracting composition elements. For example, just to the right of the trumpet bell was unfortunately a tent pole, and I had to crop tightly to remove it.

P1034362_web.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And here is a different, more relaxed, shot of the trumpet player, resting during a solo part by another player.

P1034408_web.jpg

I'm quite happy with the poses and expressions that I got from the trumpet player.

Next up is the (alto, I believe) saxophone player. This guy had lots of chill vibes, from his Hawaiian shirt to his pose.

P1034111_web.jpg

And here he is resting during an interlude.

P1034528_web.jpg

I have more photos, including of the other band members, which I am still reviewing and editing. More to come.

Attachments

• P1034111_web.jpg
    P1034111_web.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 59
  • P1034528_web.jpg
    P1034528_web.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 55
More from the same performance, by Triad Brass.

Here is their trombone player. He is by far their most energetic performer and - with the silver jumpsuit - their most unique character. Not only does he play the trombone, but he also does a bit of acrobatics!

Silver spandex is really difficult to expose for. So many specular highlights to clip. Better to dial in -1 or even -2 stops, and push in post.

P1034276_web.jpg

Look! Playing trombone with his feet!

P1034161_web.jpg

P1034315_web.jpg

More from Triad Brass to be continued later.

Here are the guitarist/vocalist and drummer from Dark Sky Hustlers, performing outside the 23rd Street R/W station of the New York City subway. They were performing classic rock songs for a big audience. When I looked them up online, it appears that they are part of a larger rock band.

P1100429_web.jpg

Back