Street Photography and confidence

A weekly challenge may interfere with Bill's weekly challenges. I wouldn't want that to happen. Maybe it's time to redo the Image Quest and make it more interactive. We could gear it to street even tho' it always was. If there's enuff interest, we'll give it a go.
Let me know your thoughts.

Swiss street photographer Thomas Leuthard, whose ebook on street photography I think I mentioned in an earlier thread has another ebook out. 'Collecting Souls: What Street Photography Means to Me' deals with some of the issues that have been raised in this thread. Interesting reading whether you agree with him or not. It's available as a free pdf download.

Thanks olli, I will definitely read it. I can't remember who I was writing to, but that "souls" concept is always hovering in the back of my mind. I know we've talked about the importance of intent, too.

I am very comfortable photographing people around me if I know them and feel that they are my street, but I realize that this does not meet the criteria that many hold for street photography. I actually think of my dogs and cats as part of my "street", too. Perhaps it's my way of transcribing my life.

I know this thread is old hat by Gen-Y standards - but thankfully we here are mostly of the Gen-X and Baby Boomer vintage :tomato2:

However this was a thought-provoking thread - thanks Justin! - and still plays at the back of my mind. I stumbled on this blog entry yesterday which I thought was related and very informative....this guy's other stuff aint too bad either.

Swiss street photographer Thomas Leuthard, whose ebook on street photography I think I mentioned in an earlier thread has another ebook out. 'Collecting Souls: What Street Photography Means to Me' deals with some of the issues that have been raised in this thread. Interesting reading whether you agree with him or not. It's available as a free pdf download.

Thank you for this link. In my opinion, the book is excellent.

Hi Justin,
How about taking pictures of bird, animals or kids as they are easy to shoot.
It will helps you in developing your confidence. You can take pictures of scenery while street photography aslo.

The last few DRTV videos had me worried that they had entirely run out of steam, but this one was interesting.

I enjoyed seeing these two togethers, and their different approach to street photography. To be honest I much prefer Kai's approach than Eric's. I'm OK with Eric's somewhat aggressive attitude but his use of flash really isn't my thing (and I prefer someone to just "capture the moment" rather than creating it as he seems to like doing).

Still you have to admire his guts. Kai using his ultrawide voigtlander was interesting though obvisouly he wasn't the focus of the show this time, and didn't have much space to produce good shots.

You may remember I snapped Bruce Gilden here in London in full action. I don't like his style, but he has sphericals of steel. However, he is at the extreme end.

I am at the stage now where I am comfy enough to raise the camera, snap and smile if eye contact is made.........then walk swiftly on.

I had some cards made describing who I am, what I do and where you can find my work. I also have my iPhone with my best and most complimentary street snaps on it which, if necessary, I will show.

I was challenged by a guy last week who said "did you just take a photo of me"? I looked hard at him and said "nah mate....not interesting enough" took the wind out of his sails completely.

My view is hide in plain sight. Don't sneak as you just draw attention to yourself. I find that the closer I get......the less they see of me. Don't underestimate knowing your camera. Hold it in the most comfy position at hip and whatever level you use and see where the lens points. Make it your corporate style so that you can position yourself correctly when you spot something interesting. I know intuitively where my lens is pointing and what my field of view is most of the time now. My hit rate is far superior to what it used to be.

I am really only a beginner in comparison to some of our esteemed forumites........but this is what has stood me in good stead.

Back