Street Street photography (Image thread)

Real Name
Nick Clark
M2 and HP5 in Sydney

21860719591_10d40c8f01_b.jpg

21839834992_dc0b77b464_b.jpg

21664867649_de1e46515c_b.jpg

Petach

Hall of Famer
Real Name
Peter Tachauer
M2 and HP5 in Sydney

21860719591_10d40c8f01_b.jpg

21839834992_dc0b77b464_b.jpg

21664867649_de1e46515c_b.jpg

1& 3, atmosphere you can cut with a knife.

I love Sydney and I feel homesick for it despite only ever having been a visitor...........not a resident. It is great for shooting.

I will be back next year (Sept Oct) for my 3rd visit. We save our pennies to stay at the Shangri-La-Di-Dahhhhhhhh on the Rocks for a week. Looking forward to shooting what I have shot before over and over......but better.

Ripleysbaby

supernatural anesthetist
Real Name
Garry
Thank you Ray. A real compliment . Although I love street photography I still really struggle with my confidence . Fear of conflict perhaps ? Or camera shy the other side of the camera ? I have no problem with being snapped myself. I don't mind at all. But I'm also aware that others might not be as happy being the subject of my photos.
When I go into town, I go with the intention of doing street. I always fail. I mostly come home with shots of backs like this one. I will keep trying though. I might crack it one day.

Ray Sachs

Legend
Real Name
you should be able to figure it out...
Thank you Ray. A real compliment . Although I love street photography I still really struggle with my confidence . Fear of conflict perhaps ? Or camera shy the other side of the camera ? I have no problem with being snapped myself. I don't mind at all. But I'm also aware that others might not be as happy being the subject of my photos.
When I go into town, I go with the intention of doing street. I always fail. I mostly come home with shots of backs like this one. I will keep trying though. I might crack it one day.
Sometime shots of backs look like a lazy cop out. In this case, the image is wonderful from the back and I don't think it would be as good shot from the front... If you do it this well, you could make a specialty of it - work to your strengths!

-Ray

Ray Sachs

Legend
Real Name
A very sad day at Rittenhouse Square...

Looks like a happy scene until you scan to the right...

21998311349_01ee00b08b_h.jpg
Sad day at Rittenhouse Square
by Ray, on Flickr

I don't often shoot homeless folks, but this was this guy's last night in the square, and on earth. A very somber scene. Tough enough to imagine the hard lives these folks lead, but the thought of dying alone on a park bench trying to get some sleep...

22185162395_7160940d77_h.jpg
Sad day at Rittenhouse Square
by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

Real Name
Brent
A very sad day at Rittenhouse Square...

Looks like a happy scene until you scan to the right...

Sad day at Rittenhouse Square by Ray, on Flickr

I don't often shoot homeless folks, but this was this guy's last night in the square, and on earth. A very somber scene. Tough enough to imagine the hard lives these folks lead, but the thought of dying alone on a park bench trying to get some sleep...

Sad day at Rittenhouse Square by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray
How sad. These pictures remind me how fortunate I am.

Petach

Hall of Famer
Real Name
Peter Tachauer
Hi Ray. I remember feeling compelled to post a body being dragged from the Thames in London. It was from a distance, so not graphic in any way. The river would have been freezing cold and dark. Whether suicide or a prank gone wrong....I have no idea; but I recall being affected for quite some time after thinking of how terrified and lonely the person must have felt in their last moments. If a suicide, how desperate the person must have been to pick such an awful way to die. Had they changed their mind and was unable to stop the conclusion. Then the indignity of being dragged by a pole and heaved over the side of the boat.....clothes clinging. Then the unfortunate officer who would have to inform next of kin.

It was right to post the image....a wake up slap for when you think life is sh*t but not really.....really.... knowing what sh*t really is.

And, of course It is street photography.....documentary....recording what goes on on the streets; from joy to sadness.

Ray Sachs

Legend
Real Name
How sad. These pictures remind me how fortunate I am.

Me too, as did being there...

Hi Ray. I remember feeling compelled to post a body being dragged from the Thames in London. It was from a distance, so not graphic in any way. The river would have been freezing cold and dark. Whether suicide or a prank gone wrong....I have no idea; but I recall being affected for quite some time after thinking of how terrified and lonely the person must have felt in their last moments. If a suicide, how desperate the person must have been to pick such an awful way to die. Had they changed their mind and was unable to stop the conclusion. Then the indignity of being dragged by a pole and heaved over the side of the boat.....clothes clinging. Then the unfortunate officer who would have to inform next of kin.

It was right to post the image....a wake up slap for when you think life is sh*t but not really.....really.... knowing what sh*t really is.

And, of course It is street photography.....documentary....recording what goes on on the streets; from joy to sadness.

Yeah, the whole spectrum. I've been feeling really melancholy today and I think is a big part of why. It was just something I saw and took a quick photo of, talked to a cop for a minute, and then continued with my basically recreational day in the city. I see homeless folks every day, in my smaller town (there are just a few and you sort of get to know them over time, to the extent they can be known) and when I'm in the city and it's not like I don't ordinarily notice them or think about them - not at all. But seeing one of them just die out there is such a stark and powerful reminder of how terrible and difficult that life is, particularly when you're as mentally ill as a lot of them are, with a tenuous grasp of reality even under the best circumstances, which they never really encounter once the slide begins. I don't have any answers, but it really hit me hard emotionally, as I guess it should have. There's nothing heavier than death, even when you're just a passer-by...

-Ray

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom