Street Street photography (Image thread)

r1028966.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Norman, I swear that when I look at your photo's I think "i don't remember taking that" our subject matter and processing is so, so similar. I always look out for your work.

That's very funny - I often have the same reaction - when I see a post with photos from one of the two of you I always have to double check who made them because they're so similar in style and content! And you both shoot a lot with a Ricoh GRD also, no? Which makes the stylistic similarities even stronger. But this is a compliment because both of you do such strong work! I don't get to this thread as often as I should to check out the work, but every time I do I'm reminded of what fine work the folks on this forum do. You two in particular, but also Jimmy, Jorge, Antonio, Nic, Adubo, and others.

-Ray

That's very funny - I often have the same reaction - when I see a post with photos from one of the two of you I always have to double check who made them because they're so similar in style and content! And you both shoot a lot with a Ricoh GRD also, no? Which makes the stylistic similarities even stronger. But this is a compliment because both of you do such strong work! I don't get to this thread as often as I should to check out the work, but every time I do I'm reminded of what fine work the folks on this forum do. You two in particular, but also Jimmy, Jorge, Antonio, Nic, Adubo, and others.

-Ray

Besides the camera I suspect SEP2 is another common denominator? Plus there is possibly subconsciously a desire to mimic particular styles you like even though you do not know how the other got there. Ray, I'm almost certain it was some of your street work that made me want a GRD 3 in the first place. Looking forward to see what you can do with the GXR and 28mm lensor..

Besides the camera I suspect SEP2 is another common denominator? Plus there is possibly subconsciously a desire to mimic particular styles you like even though you do not know how the other got there. Ray, I'm almost certain it was some of your street work that made me want a GRD 3 in the first place. Looking forward to see what you can do with the GXR and 28mm lensor..

Yeah, SEP2 has its look, no doubt. But there are a lot of folks who have that same SEP2 look that don't remind me of your work, or Pete's. You two just have some similarities in your work that go well beyond SEP2. A lot of it is probably the similarities in where you shoot, but Ian shoots in some pretty similar locations but his work has a different look to it (but still very identifiable as SEP2). As much as I love the GRD3, I don't use it all that much for street shooting, although its about perfect for it when I do. I did a bunch at a few street festivals and in Atlantic City last summer, but I mostly use my EPL3 and X10 (which doesn't have "snap" focus, but can be easily setup for the same type of zone focus shooting). And I did quite a lot with the X100 before deciding I just didn't really like using the viewfinder for street work. I expect the GXR will get a lot of use, but the EPL3 (and maybe the new OMD, if I get one) will continue to get a lot of use, as much as I love shooting with that flip up screen. But the GXR really raises the bar for low light, as did the X100...

-Ray

After getting my DL5 a week ago, today was the first chance I've had to really try it out. While I still have alot to learn to get the most out of it, all in all I was pretty pleased with the results from my first day out. What could be better than the San Francisco Chinese New Years celebration to test all of the color!

Attachments

• 3StoryGrafittiWeb.jpg
    3StoryGrafittiWeb.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 118
  • ChineseFiddlerWeb.jpg
    ChineseFiddlerWeb.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 131
  • ChinatownGrafittiWeb.jpg
    ChinatownGrafittiWeb.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 74
  • ChineseFlowersWeb.jpg
    ChineseFlowersWeb.jpg