Street Street photography (Image thread)

nice series of images...about the high iso in Tav mode...try this...I gave it a shot this past weekend and no iso went over 8000, but I'm still experimenting...I think I prefer to just use aperture priority and set my own iso, but the tav mode is nice when in fast changing situations...

Normally, the dynamic range correction functions by altering the curve used in jpg, but at the same time it also limits the useable ISO range. For example, if dynamic range correction is set to strong, the useable ISO will be between ISO 320 and ISO 8000. So, let say you are setting F2.8 and 1/500s, but don’t want the ISO to go above 8000, what you need to do is:
1. Enable dynamic range correction, set it to strong (you will need to turn off continuous mode as it is not compatible with dynamic range correction)
2. In the shooting menu, Shutter/Aperture Auto Shift: set it to Aprtr Priority.
What it does is that it will use F2.8 and 1/500s and the lowest ISO possible (down to ISO 320). When there is not enough light, it will shift ISO upward until it reaches ISO 8000. At that point the dynamic range correction will not allow ISO to go any higher. Since you have Aprtr priority set in auto shift, the shutter speed will start coming down to maintain the same exposure.
The drawback of this is you will be using the very shallow curve of strong dynamic range correction for its out-of-camera jpeg. But as far as I know it has no effect on the RAW.

Thank you … I will try this and see how it goes.

If it has no effect on the RAW file this is a big win. I don't shoot with any of the effects anymore. The B&W Hi-Contrast was OK at first, but it's no where near what you can do with VSCO presets etc.

Thank you … I will try this and see how it goes.

If it has no effect on the RAW file this is a big win. I don't shoot with any of the effects anymore. The B&W Hi-Contrast was OK at first, but it's no where near what you can do with VSCO presets etc.

hi Dean...wondering which vsco presets you use...

also, this high iso limit technique isn't mine, think someone on the range finder forums suggested this to me...

I also found this, so move ahead with caution...I did have a couple images hit the 8000 limit and they seemed pretty good in terms of exposure and noise/grain...still, better to be cautious...

"Dynamic Range Correction will affect RAWs, and that's why it's limiting the ISO range. What it does is that it underexposes by using lower ISO on sensorr and then multiplying signal digitally on the output in hope of getting out more details from overexposed areas. So your 8000 with strong DR setting is shot with sensor somewhere around 3200 and digitally expanded to cover all the range of RAW values."

kind regards

hi Dean...wondering which vsco presets you use...

also, this high iso limit technique isn't mine, think someone on the range finder forums suggested this to me...

I also found this, so move ahead with caution...I did have a couple images hit the 8000 limit and they seemed pretty good in terms of exposure and noise/grain...still, better to be cautious...

"Dynamic Range Correction will affect RAWs, and that's why it's limiting the ISO range. What it does is that it underexposes by using lower ISO on sensorr and then multiplying signal digitally on the output in hope of getting out more details from overexposed areas. So your 8000 with strong DR setting is shot with sensor somewhere around 3200 and digitally expanded to cover all the range of RAW values."

kind regards

Hi David.

I tried the method you suggested and it seems to work fine, however I will probably just stay in TAv mode. It's just perfect for me I think. I don't even mind the shots at 25,600 ... fine for B&W.

I always use the VSCO Agfa Scala 200 Contrast +++ preset (VSCO film 04) via LR5.

I then use the CF High V35 profile created by Huelight for the Ricoh GR.

After putting these two over the top of the RAW image I adjust shadows if need be. Sometimes I'll play with the "darks" slider.

Cheers !!

Couple from today ... Ricoh GR :)

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/deang001/13934406945/player/" width="530" height="800" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="R0001214" width="1024" height="678" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Hi David.

I tried the method you suggested and it seems to work fine, however I will probably just stay in TAv mode. It's just perfect for me I think. I don't even mind the shots at 25,600 ... fine for B&W.

I always use the VSCO Agfa Scala 200 Contrast +++ preset (VSCO film 04) via LR5.

I then use the CF High V35 profile created by Huelight for the Ricoh GR.

After putting these two over the top of the RAW image I adjust shadows if need be. Sometimes I'll play with the "darks" slider.

Cheers !!

thanks for the info...

also bookmarked your grainy dreams site, nice work...

Back