Street Street photography (Image thread)

31310787_2036014180059647_756966644227506176_n.jpg

Shot with My FujiX100F

What a powerful photo. I really like that this isn’t just a gratuitous photo of someone down on their luck. The inclusion of the well dressed woman at the ATM machine changes everything and makes this one of the best “street” shots I’ve seen recently.

This is also an example where a street shot is sometimes better in color, than B&W. For me, the color pink shows that the two women, obviously in different stations in life, share a common humanity and are really not so different, after all.

Well done, John!

I looking at that Loxia lens if I purchase an A7iii. When walking around do you set up for Hyperfocal Distance or re-focus for every shot?
When I'm walking, the camera is set to 1/400 s, Auto ISO and the lens is set to f/9 and ~4 m, a sort of snapshot setting that gets sharp enough pics of people fairly close. I also do street stills and then I focus carefully because the subject is mostly close, between 30 cm and 2 m. For stuff tens of metres away I set the camera to (almost) infinity.

You can't rely on the infinity mark on Loxia lenses: the real infinity setting sits a bit before the infinity mark, something which Zeiss says is done on purpose to account for tolerances. And I'm glad they do that because curvature of field necessitates a slightly different focus point when your focus point is not in the centre. I know from experience that the 5 m mark has to sit between the left f/4 and f/8 marking on the depth-of-field scale for infinity. Sounds complicated, but becomes second nature very quickly.

Back