Street Street photography (Image thread)

I know this may sound dumb, but wanted to share.

So, one of my favorite things is street photography. Capturing the scenes as well as looking at what others have captured.
Early on in my forum viewing days, I used to look at the street images and who took them. I soon realized that I biased toward to the ones I liked because of the people that took them and not purely on the image itself (both emotional response and technical merit).

To keep myself from that "I'm going to like this one because my 'friend' took it" syndrome, I now scroll through an entire page - only looking at the image and responding to it on the merits of the image alone before going back and seeing who took it.

I like how sometimes I can tell who took it by the style in which it was captured and other times I'm shocked or surprised (normally in a good way) at who took some different ones too.

Anyone else go into the view "blind"? And yes, I know I'm weird. :)
Not weird at all Andrew, after all in the camera clubs I've been a member of competition entries are judged blind, and yes you can sometimes recognise a style, and at other times you do get surprised. Your approach is objective and unbiassed, good idea.

Barrie

mpetersonphoto-1000853.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I know this may sound dumb, but wanted to share.

So, one of my favorite things is street photography. Capturing the scenes as well as looking at what others have captured.
Early on in my forum viewing days, I used to look at the street images and who took them. I soon realized that I biased toward to the ones I liked because of the people that took them and not purely on the image itself (both emotional response and technical merit).

To keep myself from that "I'm going to like this one because my 'friend' took it" syndrome, I now scroll through an entire page - only looking at the image and responding to it on the merits of the image alone before going back and seeing who took it.

I like how sometimes I can tell who took it by the style in which it was captured and other times I'm shocked or surprised (normally in a good way) at who took some different ones too.

Anyone else go into the view "blind"? And yes, I know I'm weird. :)
Yes, I also make it a point not to look at who shot a photograph when evaluating it. Same with viewing my feed on Instagram.

20210206_145102_X10V2452_misc.jpg

This was an unanticipated grab shot. The guy bent down to look in the guitar case when I was about 6 feet away and about to walk past them. I quickly flicked the camera on and fired off a few frames, using the rear screen to frame the shot. The 35 equiv FoV was a bit too tight. I'm appreciating the X100V's high ISO performance because it allows me to shoot at 1/400s in less than ideal light which is what I need to eliminate camera blur due to me walking while taking the shot.

20210209_102136_X10V2654_street.jpg

I've walked past this parking garage innumerable times but for some reason this past weekend I suddenly found myself compelled to photograph the entrance. It's probably because of the light.

I couldn't find a suitable framing that also removed the sign on the far right, unfortunately.

Back