Street Street photography (Image thread)

I try to avoid people on a mobile phone when doing this type of photography, but the occasional one slips through.

R0032761 copy.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 258645
I tried a tighter crop to remove the flare but in the end decided the flare made the photo more balanced and interesting. Your thoughts?
I like the flare, it tells you where the light comes from, placing the shadow of the sitting lady in context. Have to add that I generally prefer lots of context in my street photos, which I often get criticized for in my photoclub :).

I like the flare, it tells you where the light comes from, placing the shadow of the sitting lady in context. Have to add that I generally prefer lots of context in my street photos, which I often get criticized for in my photoclub :).
Photoclubs exist to keep you on the right track. Never try a diversion or they will isolate you.
For this reason I left photoclubs a long time ago and have ever since been fairly happy.

Photoclubs exist to keep you on the right track. Never try a diversion or they will isolate you.
For this reason I left photoclubs a long time ago and have ever since been fairly happy.
Hehe. I am with the club to have some fellow members to share an outing with and generally to meet other folks. After some years I noticed that I hardly ever changed my mind about my own photos because of comments on them, except for some isolated remarks that resulted in slight improvements, so photo reviews have become much less important to me.

Thx for the feedback. I often find myself struggling between too little and too much context. Well...maybe "too much context" isn't really a thing. Maybe it's too much clutter, or too much diminishment of the primary subject(s)?

View attachment 259194
Should I crop in tighter to get rid of the top row of three windows?
Nope - contextual; though one could argue that the portico might provide enough of that as well. But crucially, to tidy up the image (balance it again), you'd probably have to remove quite a bit more because the format simply works, so only cutting off the top might actually take away from the feel. That said, I know what you mean, I think - in the attempt to include the background, quite a bit of additional detail has entered the image, that's true for the left edge as well. If you want all that information, you should probably keep it as-is.

Anyhow, I've taken the liberty to show one single possibility I could come up with that seems a bit tidier and moves the focus even more towards the subject and juxtaposition (and certainly away from the windows), also creating a secondary leading line - very simple, just adjusting the angle ever so slightly and cropping in from the top left, same format.

proposed_crop.jpg

M.

I somehow suspect the man is just on his smartphone :rolleyes:
All the better - casual communication instead of, well, maybe even Communion? Or just waiting to be let it? Or just waiting, killing time? There are quite a few possible interpretations of this shot, and there's no way of telling if it's trivial or deep; I actually like the shot regardless of what reality it represents - because it makes great use of context ...

M.

All the better - casual communication instead of, well, maybe even Communion? Or just waiting to be let it? Or just waiting, killing time? There are quite a few possible interpretations of this shot, and there's no way of telling if it's trivial or deep; I actually like the shot regardless of what reality it represents - because it makes great use of context ...

M.
Indeed, no way of knowing.
Perhaps the man is carrying his breviary as pdf on his smartphone :)

Back