Street Street photography (Image thread)

Nope - contextual; though one could argue that the portico might provide enough of that as well. But crucially, to tidy up the image (balance it again), you'd probably have to remove quite a bit more because the format simply works, so only cutting off the top might actually take away from the feel. That said, I know what you mean, I think - in the attempt to include the background, quite a bit of additional detail has entered the image, that's true for the left edge as well. If you want all that information, you should probably keep it as-is.

Anyhow, I've taken the liberty to show one single possibility I could come up with that seems a bit tidier and moves the focus even more towards the subject and juxtaposition (and certainly away from the windows), also creating a secondary leading line - very simple, just adjusting the angle ever so slightly and cropping in from the top left, same format.

View attachment 259196

M.
Thanks for taking the time to do that crop. With the image cropped that much, I'm tempted to take it further just to reduce the space that the flowers are taking up, so I tried this:
tight crop.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm still not sure which I prefer most: more or less.

No, the crosses above the door reinforce the religious context. Just my 2 eurocents :).
Yeah, that was my thinking, too.

I somehow suspect the man is just on his smartphone :rolleyes:
Ha! I thought the same thing later on when I was reviewing my photos at home. I never actually looked to see what he was doing. I looked like something thoughtful and reflective at the time, especially considering the location, but for all I know he could have been enjoying a Tiktok.

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate them.

Not the kind of shot I would have dared to take ... Nevertheless, simple, but strong.

M.
Thanks, no rules Matt, you shoot a load, hopefully one of the images comes back ok, you’ve just got to be in position. Reminds me of that saying in soccer when the striker misses an easy chance, “you’ve got to be there to miss them”. Luckily with a GR being in position can take half a second to be there. The result hopefully is something spontaneous.

Those are great, some of the better candid shots I've seen with this camera, they can be hard to get with the wide angle!
Thanks Andrew, most people are instinctively anxious or don't like having to go in close with a relatively wide angle camera which is difficult to overcome. But if you do overcome that, the results speak for themselves. As I've said before that camera is so small and quick, the subjects won't be aware anyway.

I have witnessed this behavior over and over again and find it interesting in all variations.
Due to legal restrictions I can´t take pictures of persons without their explicit consent.
This is a shame really. As far as I am informed nobody ever lost his life for being photographed.
Not street photography specific however... With the pandemic, capitol attack, and racial violence during this past year, people have been photographing and videoing altercations as a means to hold others accountable. I'm seeing and hearing much greater resistance to people pointing cameras, phones, and recording devices. It wouldn't surprise me if laws are challenged in the US in regards to recording people in public.

I have witnessed this behavior over and over again and find it interesting in all variations.
Due to legal restrictions I can´t take pictures of persons without their explicit consent.
This is a shame really. As far as I am informed nobody ever lost his life for being photographed.
That is truly sad. Street photography was a great creative outlet for me during the pandemic.

Addendum: after thinking about this for a few minutes, I think I'd still be able to keep doing street photography if I lived in Germany, although it would mean a narrower range of compositions.

These photos should pass the requirement of either not having the person being the primary element in the image, or not being identifiable.
20210410_120644_X10V4310_street.jpg20210425_134539_X10V4551_misc.jpg20210502_111805_X10V4634_street.jpg20210514_192437_X10V4945_misc.jpg

Unfortunately, it will mean missing out on photos where facial expressions are the major element of the composition.

Last edited:
Back