Street Street photography (Image thread)

Norman, you are prolific! Like the new style/pp. Man, the place looks unrelentingly gritty......is it?

Yes, I've had to take time off work - the wife is very ill atm and in hospital. So I'm back and forth to Kettering daily to spend time with her. I kill a bit of time before and after visiting hours and whilst waiting for a bus etc. I find taking pictures quite cathartic but I must admit once I'm back home the place seems empty without her.

As for this place being gritty - hmm. Probably just my vision of it!

Norman, you are prolific! Like the new style/pp. Man, the place looks unrelentingly gritty......is it?

Pete, I find you and Norman both incredibly prolific. I live in a small town without much street shooting potential. So I have to go into Philly (which is pretty much a full day commitment) to get my fill. Or when we travel in some urban area. You guys seem to have great shooting nearby based on the frequency and quality of your work. I go in batches when I make a trip in to shoot, but then can be several weeks off, with other types of shooting to try to keep my eye engaged. I'll be spending April in New York and will be shooting myself silly - actually will be interesting to see how I react to living (even for a month) with such constant street shooting opportunities right outside my door. I'll no doubt have a TON of shots from that stay to trickle out through May, but then it'll beck to day to day life without many opportunities.

Norman, I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's illness and can really feel your loneliness of coming home to an empty house in such a circumstance. I'm glad shooting is there to give you some solace, but I wish you and her all the best and hope she recovers and is home soon.

-Ray

Well, welcome, warm welcome. It looks like you are blessed with an eye for the shot, a steady hand and a great camera. Looking forward to seeing some more of your excellent work.

Thanks a lot for the welcome and sorry for the delayed response! :)
Hoping to get a couple new shots up soon!
Dave

Welcome Dave. You seem to have taken to street photography like a natural. Good taste in cameras also! Something I've learned with the GRD IV is that the snap distances can be a bit misleading. You would think if it was set to 2m and the lens was wide open then you better snap your subject about 2m away. I shot just such a subject today at F2.2 and 2m snap and the couple I shot were a little soft yet the scenery in front was tack sharp. I guess there may be variation from camera to camera but perhaps you should shoot wide open for a bit and check the accuracy of the snap distances. If you stop down to F4 and beyond then chances are you will get everything reasonably sharp so long as your shutter speed is high enough.

Also test your image stabilisation. Mine stopped working after updating the firmware.

Many thanks for the feedback, the welcome and the tip! I am still learning the basics but I am certainly going to work through the combinations you've mentioned above to see what works best for me and report back my findings... Firmware update is next on the to-do list :)
Dave

6952096545_c04a0eab76_z.jpg

6805981736_ff4edd8585_z.jpg

Back