Street Street photography (Image thread)

20120314-R0015294.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

GXR M Mount / Zeiss 35mm

Was looking at this couple and the steamy window pane behind them (a wet night in Vancouver coupled with a very warm coffee shop) and thought the colours and condensation were interesting and then this third person outside looking in popped into the frame.

20120314-R0015294.jpg

GXR M Mount / Zeiss 35mm

Was looking at this couple and the steamy window pane behind them (a wet night in Vancouver coupled with a very warm coffee shop) and thought the colours and condensation were interesting and then this third person outside looking in popped into the frame.

What a teriffic shot!! I love the moody feel and whispy background.

X4, one of the best I have seen here or anywhere. Love the ghostly interloper on the intimate couple. Brilliant spot and capture, I am so envious!

Yep, I'll just add to the heaps of praise already coming to this photo. Its wonderful on about all levels. I, of course, am interested in how it would look in B&W too. I don't think it could be better, but it might be another equally interesting interpretation.

-Ray

20120314-R0015294.jpg

GXR M Mount / Zeiss 35mm

Mike

Great capture. Perfect timing.

I hate to post this same darn image again but when I processed it as a b+w yesterday I didn't really like the outcome at all, and while I was doing it I'd been all over the map. This one feels better to me, requiring fewer but more logical (in my mind) steps and some warmth added through toning which I'd failed to do yesterday even though I thought it important then too. Go figure. If anyone cares to provide feedback on which version they prefer I'm all ears.

20120314-R0015294-toned.jpg

I'm starting to warm to the toned version over the full colour image as my preference, even though what caught my attention and caused me to ready my camera in the first place were the interesting colours and patterns on the window.

I think I like the first B&W one a little bit better, mostly because the gal on the other side of the window is somehow more prominent - in the toned version she blends more into the background, more like the color. This is one of those really fine shots that works almost no matter what you do to it, but its cool to see what the different treatments pull out of it.

-Ray

Ray, you are absolutely right... I did lose the plot when it came to revisiting the conversion the second time. First go around I tried to keep the outside-looking-in figure as prominent as in the colour version; second go around wanted to see if toning would remind me more of the evening in question (it does) but forgot to hold the line on the central figure. Thanks very much for the feedback.

20120314-R0015294-toned2.jpg
20120314-R0015294-bw.jpg

Simply adding a little warm tone to the first b+w conversion returns a better result than my second conversion. I'm trying to simplify how I use SEP2 and Lightroom, not always with success.

I beg the Street Photography Image Thread's forgiveness, I'll open a thread next time I want to go back and forth on a single image.

Back