Street Street photography (Image thread)

at the night market...

7273193184_1cfd3ce135_c.jpg

7273192912_fb2cbc5d75_c.jpg

Street Fair season in my hometown started last night. Each spring/summer/fall there are about four or five events in town that usually bring enough people in to make taking a camera worthwhile. And I live about a block and a half away from the action, so I don't have ANY excuses not to show up! The next one is this Sunday, then a bike race in the summer, and a restaurant festival and chili cookoff (separate events, both HUGE) in the fall. Last night was a lot more sedate than the same event last year, but it was the first time I've really done any people shooting since my April trip to NYC, so it was nice to get out and flex the camera's muscles a bit. I shot with both the OMD and X-Pro (just realized these are all OMD shots though). A surprising number of keepers with the 45mm on the OMD - I don't use that lens a lot but I really like it when I do...

-Ray

View attachment 54624

View attachment 54625

View attachment 54626

View attachment 54627

View attachment 54628

View attachment 54629

View attachment 54630

lovely set Ray, despite the crowd there is a large dose of intimacy to some of these shots. Sort of part of the action yet isolated from it....if you get my drift? If it was a movie, they would be slow-mo with echo music against a background of hurly burly. That's the best I can describe.

Agreed, Pete. I always feel as though Ray is right there, even if he is not interacting with all of the people in his photographs. There's a real immediacy to them.

Agreed, Pete. I always feel as though Ray is right there, even if he is not interacting with all of the people in his photographs. There's a real immediacy to them.

Thanks BB and Pete. I think these are a bit different just for including a few from the 45mm f1.8, a focal length I don't use a lot on the street and which naturally requires a different type of shooting. I don't love shooting with it except for family portraits and stuff but I tend to really like the results so I pull it out from time to time. Really a VERY nice little lens, particularly for the money...

-Ray

And here are a few more from yesterday, taken with the EM5 and GRD3, all with either a 24 or 28mm equivalent lens - no longer lenses in this bunch. I'll start with the only shot I kept in color. This "thing" called the Orbritron (which, for some sick reason, always reminds me of Woody Allen's "orgasmatron" from his movie Sleeper, although the two concepts couldn't be farther apart - this is a kid's recreational device, the other was clearly NOT) shows up at nearly every fair in our town and probably anywhere in the surrounding area. I've taken any number of shots of kids on the "ride", but this is the first one that really gets it right to me, showing the girls hair flying, her body totally twisting and in motion, and the huge smile on her face. Kids LOVE this thing - this is the first photo I've gotten of it that begins to show that.

View attachment 54779

View attachment 54780

Not my first photo of this woman and her crafts display either, but I like this one better than the first:
View attachment 54781

View attachment 54782

View attachment 54783

View attachment 54784

View attachment 54785

View attachment 54786

I'm entirely infatuated with the woman in the cupcake truck - every bit as nice as she is attractive. It was all I could do not to buy all of her cupcakes yesterday, but I had to leave some for the kids... ;)
View attachment 54787

-Ray

DSC03190.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC03217.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A couple of shots from Didi Digomi in Tbilisi. Both of these were taken with the NEX-5 and SEL50mm combination. I had these two printed up today and am very impressed with the clarity and colour from this lens.

Back