Street Street photography (Image thread)

No way!

OKAY here is my very first attempt ever, (in my 61 years) of street photography. I am such a coward. Even then, they weren't looking :redface:

couple_at_borders_2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

man_at_borders1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LX3 - f2/40, asa 400, wide open

Was going to convert to B&W but I like the warm colors in the shot.

Crtiques are welcome too!

Cheers,
Pete

OKAY here is my very first attempt ever, (in my 61 years) of street photography. I am such a coward. Even then, they weren't looking :redface:

Was going to convert to B&W but I like the warm colors in the shot.

Crtiques are welcome too!
Pete, I really like the first of the two. For some reason, the two characters interacting in the left side of the frame makes the whole shot, empty space included, much more compelling.

I like the light and the framing of both a lot and the fact that nobody else is visible in the shot. I'd try 'em in B&W too just because I always seem to like this kind of shot better once I actually get around to the conversion, but it works really well in color, so that's obviously your choice! GREAT first shot - damn good for ANY time.

-Ray

Pete the second one is better - it is alway "nice" to see a man with a (designer) handbag!!

PS - they look cold - I thought that it was always hot in sunny Arizona

"working girls" is a good one -a theme worth developing!!!

I'm not keen on the "bar" scene - I'd "junk" those - "begging your humble pardon" and IMHO, and not wishing to be critical or cause any offence to you lot in "The Colonies"

are you using Silver Efex, Pete?

Yes, just downloaded the trial , if you can believe that...and no offence taken brother...im pretty thick skinned ..ha ha

I like the Sheriff Joe shot too but, unlike Bill, I also like the bar shot and, as I'd thought, I like it more in B&W than in color (and I liked it just fine in color). I find the way all of the lines, floor tiles, walls, ceiling, etc,) all lead you toward the light of the window, the three lights giving it a sense of drama, the empty bar stools and lack of anyone behind the bar making the place seem really empty, and then the two characters scrunched over on the left side in their own little drama (maybe only over what to order!). All of those lines and shades are just better emphasized in B&W, at least to my eye. I still like it and like it even more in B&W.

-Ray

I suppose, because I'm new to this game, I'm not sure how you define "street" and I felt that the "bar shot" was not street, but the "working girls" was

thanks Ray so much. and you may be right billn, i assumed street meant anything with people in it. i'm probably wrong as usual.

thanks guys,
Pete

I don't think there's a strict definition, but my working definition is pictures of people you don't know in publicly accessible places. IE, where people tend to gather or be. Sidewalks, shops, museums, restaurants, stadiums possibly, there are all sorts of stuff I call street that might not meet some strict definition. I did a series of shots inside the Museum of Modern Art in NYC a few months ago, all of people I didn't know and wasn't interacting with except as a photographer. I posted some of them on the Pany forum on DP Review in a discussion of street photography and one guy, who's a pretty good chronicler of New York City streets (but rarely shoots people) let me know in very clear and direct terms that they weren't 'street'. Because they weren't on the street. Whereas I thought mine were street because they all involved people and his weren't because they were just sort of architectural shots with streets in them. So, I guess we're free to define it how we like, but to me its all about people but not portraits (candid or otherwise) of friends or family.

Edit - Wally beat me to it and, as usual, said it far more concisely.

-Ray

Back