Street style or just strutting?

I detest having my photograph taken under any circumstances, let alone by a stranger without permission.

Likewise. Which is why, in all likelihood, I will always be a wannabe and read about others' efforts, than do it myself. its the source of my anxiety over doing any street photography... If *I* don't like being photographed, why on earth should I expect that everyone else won't mind.

I think I'll head up to the vineyards next week and do some landscape stuff to avoid having to deal with it, at all.

Just thought I would add a few thoughts on the subject.

As a casual shooter I am very conscious of not offending and getting in people's faces to get a good photo. Especially since I am not getting money, why bother people and risk a confrontation. Even around family I am selective when I take a picture. I don't want to be so focused on getting a good shot that I miss the fun, or get in the way.

That being said when I go to an event such as a carnival or a renaissance fair I am a little less shy when taking a picture. If you dress up, don't be shocked when I snap a picture.

Carnivals, renn faires, festivals or whatnot where others gather and interact, people expect to have their photo taken. This weekend we went to ren faire and my husband was wearing his Ale Mail.. you got it, plate mail of beer bottle bottle tops. We got stopped over and over so that people could compliment, talk to, touch it [yes they were petting his scales and picking at them] and photograph him. After several hours it got kinda old but he wasn't upset about it, he wore it because he thought it was novel and expected a few people to notice. It was way more than a few and he is probably all over the internet now. I am.. not so brave and yet during the zombie walk last year I was photographed by people. I was a zombie hunter. I am sure my face, with gas mask and without.. is out there too. I don't feel I am very photogenic so I try to avoid the camera.

To return to your point, I have read this debate over and over in different forums (which is not to say that it is not worth repeating). One sticking point often seems to be an obstinate insistence on the part of some photographers that "It's my right to take your photo in a public place and it's your problem if you don't like it, not mine".

A couple years ago at that same fair mentioned above a photographer asked to shoot my daughter, then a minor. He did ask and I did question what he was going to do with them. See at that time I did not nor did I let her post her face on the web. Too many loonies.. but in the end he gave me a card, not that it led me to a site or anything and I let him photograph her. She was in costume, that was his motivation.

Every weekend there is a local meetup of classic and antique cars. Everyone is shooting cars, sometimes shooting people [I photographed a guy that looked like Elvis!] and again because of what is going on people are more accepting. One guy, George, was in one of those mobility scooters and after he teased me, 'did you get me?' I said yeah but I bet you can do better than that.. and then he posed. During events is a good time for new street photographers to shoot because everyone is.

Another instance, Chicago, the bean or Cloud Gate, everyone stands in front of its mirrored surface making faces, playing with their reflection and the reflection of others and taking photos. Went there with my cousin and I was doing it too. I am also sure that I was in several photos though the bean tends to distort things. All good situations to get some interesting shots of people and less likelihood for confrontation.

If doing it makes me feel creepy then I respect that others might feel creeped out by it. And then I don't do it.

I have very mixed feelings about the whole subject. I also agree that many times it is better not to know how the process and just see the imagery. I think everyone has a right to his or her own personal space and when one crosses the line and invades it, I see a large ethical problem. But I also wonder some times about stealth images, whether wide up close or long lens for across the street and the subject being unaware that their image has been taken is in the end any better
For me I have shot “Street” many different ways, I prefer the style I call unnoticed shooter, it is where you sort of hang around long enough that you fade into the background, even though you have your eye in the viewfinder, but each style has a place and time. My second choice would be stealth over confrontational but we all work in our own way.
I also think out in public is out in public whether one is at the fair or just walking down the street. If you do not want your picture taken more often than not, a simple hand sign will discourage most shooters. For me, do to my somewhat unique look,( large old and with a very full beard) I am used to having my picture taken by all sorts of street photographers, some ask, some just do it and some try to be sneaky. There are very few I do not notice shooting, so for me I extract a small price for my photo, I just start shooting them. Funny thing is, it is always fascinating how many get uncomfortable when I turn my camera their way.
When I shoot on the street, I just smile when they notice me shooting, that small gesture has kept me out of trouble for many years.

I have very mixed feelings about the whole subject. I also agree that many times it is better not to know how the process and just see the imagery. I think everyone has a right to his or her own personal space and when one crosses the line and invades it, I see a large ethical problem. But I also wonder some times about stealth images, whether wide up close or long lens for across the street and the subject being unaware that their image has been taken is in the end any better
For me I have shot “Street” many different ways, I prefer the style I call unnoticed shooter, it is where you sort of hang around long enough that you fade into the background, even though you have your eye in the viewfinder, but each style has a place and time. My second choice would be stealth over confrontational but we all work in our own way.
I also think out in public is out in public whether one is at the fair or just walking down the street. If you do not want your picture taken more often than not, a simple hand sign will discourage most shooters. For me, do to my somewhat unique look,( large old and with a very full beard) I am used to having my picture taken by all sorts of street photographers, some ask, some just do it and some try to be sneaky. There are very few I do not notice shooting, so for me I extract a small price for my photo, I just start shooting them. Funny thing is, it is always fascinating how many get uncomfortable when I turn my camera their way.
When I shoot on the street, I just smile when they notice me shooting, that small gesture has kept me out of trouble for many years.

I love your response, turn the tables.
Well Played, Sir. Well Played indeed!

As to the 'make a moment crowd'. I once caught a guy trying to 'upskirt' me at a bar.
I 'accidentally' spilled my drink on his phonecamera.
He was removed from the bar.
With Extreme Prejudice.
Admittedly this is not "Street Work" but rather a Perv thing.
But it has left me rather sensitive to the whole issue.

Landshark, Your description of yourself as old, large and bearded sounds like me (depending on what you mean by large. In my case, 6'7"). It is difficult for people like us to become "invisible" on the streets, but it works. for me much of the time.

@ Bob - I've done that a couple times. I usually end up with a photo of a person taking a photo of me, and I'm sure they have vice-versa. Usually they don't shy but we get a laugh out of it.

@ Lili - You know cellphones are everywhere. I tried to photograph a beautiful vegetable display in the grocery store but was told I could not photograph on their property. They saw my small dslr. And yet people take cellphones with them everywhere, no one knows for the most part what they are doing and the creepiness factor goes way up. Bathrooms, locker rooms, bars like you mentioned. Good for you for getting that man kicked out.

@ Dan - I probably won't confront a face stealer anyway, more likely I'd turn away or say don't do that I don't like it [often with my hand in front of my face] but I wouldn't go after them. A large male, I might even be afraid to say something but it depends on if I have people around me or not too.

My answer to stealth discovered is to smile at the person and thank them or tell them why.. I simply love your outfit... you have a great tattoo. They will either smile back and thank me.. or ask me to delete in which case I will. This, mind you, doesn't happen a lot. In fact the woman with the fish tattoo lifted her arm so I could get a better shot. I lifted my camera once to shoot beyond the shoulder of some teens approaching and one of the boys said hey, don't take my picture. As he passed me I said I'm not shooting you. I wasn't. But that is really the only time I got confronted. I'm also not out daily like some are shooting and shooting at people. If I see something unique I try to capture it but I don't walk along shooting every hat or shopping bag or pair of shoes or pink haired or bald person I see.

@ Lili - You know cellphones are everywhere. I tried to photograph a beautiful vegetable display in the grocery store but was told I could not photograph on their property. They saw my small dslr. And yet people take cellphones with them everywhere, no one knows for the most part what they are doing and the creepiness factor goes way up. Bathrooms, locker rooms, bars like you mentioned. Good for you for getting that man kicked out.

My answer to stealth discovered is to smile at the person and thank them or tell them why.. I simply love your outfit... you have a great tattoo. They will either smile back and thank me.. or ask me to delete in which case I will. This, mind you, doesn't happen a lot. In fact the woman with the fish tattoo lifted her arm so I could get a better shot. I lifted my camera once to shoot beyond the shoulder of some teens approaching and one of the boys said hey, don't take my picture. As he passed me I said I'm not shooting you. I wasn't. But that is really the only time I got confronted. I'm also not out daily like some are shooting and shooting at people. If I see something unique I try to capture it but I don't walk along shooting every hat or shopping bag or pair of shoes or pink haired or bald person I see.

Good thoughts there on getting permission, compliments work. Please do not get me wrong, I adore my phonecam but like any technology it can be abused. They are great as a carry camera due to their ubiquity, they become invisible. My one and only true street shot was with one.
6336129426_315cf9fe44_b.jpg

I still feel a bit ambivalent about having taken this image.
However he is not portrayed in a bad light nor do you see his face.

Lili said:
Good thoughts there on getting permission, compliments work. Please do not get me wrong, I adore my phonecam but like any technology it can be abused. They are great as a carry camera due to their ubiquity, they become invisible. My one and only true street shot was with one.
6336129426_315cf9fe44_b.jpg

I still feel a bit ambivalent about having taken this image.
However he is not portrayed in a bad light nor do you see his face.

I don't see this pic on flickr? Did you decide to take it down or is it just a temp glitch?
[edit] I was on the ipad at the time, I guess it just didnt show up there.

I don't think I will ever be as bold as some, in taking photographs of people. It occurred to me when I was going through the shots I did a couple of years back at Darling Harbour that I don't mind being spotted, but I just cannot go get into a person's personal space (which is much larger with complete strangers than with friends) and take a shot.

It occurred to me when I was going through the shots I did a couple of years back at Darling Harbour that I don't mind being spotted, but I just cannot go get into a person's personal space (which is much larger with complete strangers than with friends) and take a shot.
That's the thing about shooting in a really crowded area, like a busy city sidewalk or a really crazy street fair or boardwalk scene. When there are enough people around people's perceived personal space shrinks by a LOT, down to people literally bumping into each other pretty often. I can't shoot people worth a damn in uncrowded situations, but in situations where you're gonna be within a foot or two of a lot of people anyway, may as well bring a camera...

-Ray

Back