Stuck in a Photographic Rut and Losing Momentum

That's OK - a stroll can be a few seconds, really. I don't know if Wouter would say that, but I believe our daily lives give us many opportunities, Andrew. The simplest everyday occurrences can be seen differently or in a very personal way that one can translate photographically. I'm sure you know this already. In reading one of your previous posts, I think you may have hit on one of the stumbling blocks..that you're experiencing. The desire to be doing something else, somewhere else can really be frustrating...and more. Since you can't (and I can say the same thing for myself because I'd rather be living in a rural area and am not), it makes you feel confined..or it makes me feel that way. Now that you've recognized this, I bet things will loosen up.

I used to study Tibetan Buddhism and one "takeaway" for me was to be more present in any given moment. I'm circling back to that, I think, and indeed, photographically speaking, what pictures exist in the current moment I find myself in...

Brian, Thank you! Don't worry, I treasure the family pictures. In fact, when I just sit down and browse old photos, it's always the family ones. The rest, though I like them, are more transient in nature. The families are keepers. I print a ton of them too.

Thanks for sharing.

Photography should be a passion, but not an obsession. When that happens you don't want to take photographs, but you have to take photographs. Just like a runner who runs two hours a day (at least) and when he can't do it, because he has other obligations, he starts to feel really bad about it. That is unhealthy and takes away all the joy. Be careful when that happens.

The problem I run into with photography is that when I'm frustrated and tired of the everyday stuff and I do get a few minutes with my hobbies, I end up getting frustrated with it because I'm not liking the results. I use photography as an outlet for the stress of everyday life, and typically my hobbies don't bother me too much as long as I feel I'm moving forward. The last few months have been just snapshot photography for me. Maybe 2012 will bring something new for all of us in photogrpahy.

Never underestimate the importance of bringing a camera to what seems like a "typical Outing". As we come into another New year, It's seeming pretty important to me right now.

Truer words have never been spoken. It's been written many times that most non-photo enthusiasts couldn't care less about composition and image quality, just as long as the shot is reasonably in focus and - most importantly - captures a moment or important person within a moment. In this respect, I suspect the non-enthusiasts may understand a fundamental truth more than many of us. Of course, I'm not poo-pooing fine photography but there's nothing wrong with feeding your photo thing for 10 - or even 20 - years by taking snapshots when you can - but perhaps snapshots that are just a bit better-composed than most.

I'm 54 years old and our daughter was out of the house and living her own life years ago. Theoretically, I should have more time for photography. But I find unrelenting demands by my job for more of my time and energy have essentially curtailed virtually every hobby and activity that I do for myself. And, as sure as the sun rises, the demands rise with each passing year. Which means it won't end until retirement or I decide I've had enough and am prepared to take a major reduction in my standard of living. In the meantime, I just take those snapshots when I can.

I've been away traveling for work, but it's great to come back and see that this thread has spawned a new class of picture here on Serious Compacts. If I think about it, most of my photography is snapshot or stroll photography, opportunistic pictures here and there.

I took a few iPhone pictures on my trip, a few while strolling, but hardly time for that. Most were shot whizzing down the road.

Am I late in joining the train? :) Apart from my 2-week trip back home, I just wasn't feeling "it" for quite a while. Even with my trip back home I only took a few shots during the first few days, the rest I just really enjoyed, with a few family snapshots here and there. I've even become a very infrequent visitor of this and the mu-43 forums, and just visit from time to time to check for interesting threads.

Luckily came across this one, and sighed a big sigh of relief knowing that this is "normal". Could this be because of the weather, too? Amin is in a rut too, I've read, and he's in Boston. :) Kids + work + being indoors most of the time + freezing weather (if you do have time to go for a stroll) = Too many shots of "the view from my window"/still life/kids? :D

Here's hoping we all get out of this funk soon.

Back