Sublime weather for a day out in Dartmouth and Kingswear

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
Two crossings of the River Dart today and a walk beside the estuary on what was a superb day.

This is the classic tourist shot of Bayards Cove in Dartmouth, the quayside is little changed since the Mayflower and the Speedwell berthed here in August 1620.

1050922.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Then a trip across to Kingswear on the Lower Ferry, much calmer than my previous visit https://www.photographerslounge.org/f21/challenging-conditions-dartmouth-lower-ferry-8847/

1050926.jpg

1050928.jpg

From Kingswear a walk north between the railway and the estuary to the landing for the Higher Ferry at Britannia Crossing. On the far side a view of Britannia Royal Naval College where a certain Prince Philip met a young Princess Elizabeth.

1050937.jpg

Then a wait for the first steam train of the day.

1050949.jpg

Just behind my position for the last shot is the ferry slipway for the Higher Ferry. Technically it's a floating bridge being guided by the wires each side of the hull with the vessel actually pulling itself across the estuary by the wires.

1050963.jpg

Then some carryout fish and chips consumed in Victoria Park to the sound of modern jazz

1050970.jpg

Then off to the George and Dragon for a pint of my favourite cider

1050971.jpg

All shots with a Panasonic GH2 and 15mm, f/4.5 Voigtlander Super Wide-Heliar, except the jazz trio where I used the 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom. Exposure was set manually for all shots.

Barrie

Back