Advice Wanted Suggestions for compact everyday carry camera?

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
To replace my G12. Priority will be given to candidates who have some level of weather protection (more is better).

Some sort of view finder is a necessity.

Cheers, Jock

If you can find one, I highly recommend the relatively compact, small-sensored Fujifilm X30. It is compact, high quality, has an extremely functional EVF, a fine zoom lens, and is beautifully built. I acquired one myself a few years ago and keep appreciating it more and more, the more I use it.

Also worthy of consideration is another small-sensored discontinued but excellent all-purpose carry-everywhere camera, the Olympus Stylus 1 (or its newer sibling, the 1S0.

The Stylus share mini-DSLR styling cues with its Olympus sibling the E-M5, while the X30 embraces the rangefinder-style body look of some other fine Fuji cameras. Also, its earlier siblings, the X10 and X20, are fine cameras as well.

Supposedly one can also occasionally acquire lightly used G12's in good shape, if one is patient. Actually, truth be told, the cameras I am recommending, the Stylus 1 and the X30, are getting harder and harder to find these days, but are worth looking for.

If buying used is an option, you can try out quite a few models, among them the G15 or G16 ... or, indeed, loads of nice models from yesteryear ...

The problem is that the current market isn't rich in really interesting models with the specifications you mention.

There's only one compact which mates competitive IQ with usable weather sealing: the Canon PowerShot G1X III. But it has a shorter, slower zoom, is a tad bigger and certainly no speed demon. A good camera overall - just a bit underwhelming as a top-tier product (which it claims to be, being a G1X). I still like mine - sort of; however, it doesn't offer any major size advantages over a Z 50 with the tiny Z 16-50mm zoom - and the Nikon smokes it in almost every aspect, and certainly IQ. But - the Canon sports weather sealing and still packs smaller. Plus it's been a reliable companion for years now - most solidly build compact camera I've ever held (and there have been a few).

The only somewhat (but not really!) compact camera with some sort of weather sealing is the Sony RX10 (I or II). But that's a bridge camera - a smallish one for its zoom range, but still ...

If you forgo weather sealing, the situation is much better, used or new.

My personal recommendation: A camera I'd take a good hard look at (and one that sometimes almost makes me myself swap my G1X III for - but I'm held back by the fact that it's not sealed!) is the Canon PowerShot G5X II. I like most things about that camera - it may not be as polished as the Sony RX100 V, VI and VII models, but I find its feature set to be better balanced, and I like the fact that is has a fast 24-120mm-e lens. It's pocketable, and it has a lot in common with the venerable S series I still miss ...

There are other models - the Sony RX100 series, the Panasonic ZS*00 cameras (of which I still find the ZS100 a bit better balanced - somewhat less ambitious, less over-the-top). But I'd still pick the G5X II over any of them (and also over its stablemates, the G7X III and G9X II).

Finally, Jock, you're a bridge camera guy - I'll state here that owning the Panasonic FZ1000 has virtually prevented me from buying any other 1" (or smaller) sensor camera since its acquisition ... Of course, by that time, I already owned the G1X III, so maybe it's inappropriate to mention this here, but I find the FZ1000 unbeatable in terms of its price/performance ratio. Nothing else in this price range comes close (including most beginner DSLRs - because they can't begin to match the range). In fact, the camera itself comes dangerously close to a do-it-all, at least in good light ...

M.

Then there’s of course the Olympus Tough cameras. Never looked into those, but apparently the TG6 even has the Olympus Pro capture mode :)

Some of the other “tough” cameras (eg from Ricoh) might be interesting too.
There’s probably a trade off in image quality, but those cameras would be winners in portability and weather resistance…

Wow ... I actually forgot to mention the LX100 II. I loved the LX100 when I owned it - I only let it go because of ... its lack of weather sealing, and its tendency to drag its feet on switch on (well, the pull of the G1X III's APS-C sensor was real, too). But handling and results were really pleasing, and the II is a fine camera. It's a bit of an in-between because of its size, though - it's not the most compact compact, so to speak. But yes, definitely worth a thought, in spite of its shortish zoom.

M.

Last edited:
Then there’s of course the Olympus Tough cameras. Never looked into those, but apparently the TG6 even has the Olympus Pro capture mode :)

Some of the other “tough” cameras (eg from Ricoh) might be interesting too.
There’s probably a trade off in image quality, but those cameras would be winners in portability and weather resistance…

Based in part on your suggestion, I think for the time being, I'll carry my Fuji XP90.

Here are couple of quick snaps taken yesterday with it:

XP90 skies 001.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

XP90 skies 002.JPG

Same shots, romanced with Luminar 3:

XP90 skies 001 B.jpg

XP90 skies 002 B.jpg

Its chief characteristics are: small and waterproof.

Cheers, Jock

51888446773_7c39b0d702_h.jpg

Home from the Dealers – 01 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Bumping this thread as I am now considering a small compact camera that I can carry on the motorbike which would be easily carried and accessed quickly. I am, I must admit also considering putting a side bag on the bike (the bike is Royal Enfield Himalayan which has a 'frame' that runs down the side of the fuel tank so side bags can be mounted there, e.g., this bag Himalayan Side Bag - Australian Made from Ripstop Canvas). My concern is how easily accessible the camera will be in this bag for quick shots on the bike so to speak. That said I may still carry my Olympus OM-D EM 1 M2 for off the bike photography.

P4032960 (1).jpg

Back to adding to this thread. I also have a tank bag on the bike which has an external pocket (see Adventure Tank Bag - Australian Made for Adv Bikes). I can fit my Google Pixel 6 Pro in the pocket and I think it would take a smallish camera, so I am looking for something that ideally is water-resistant at least, USB chargeable, glove-friendly would be a big bonus and like Jock with a viewfinder. Any suggestions to go with what has already been suggested? I am open to new or secondhand.

Wow ... I actually forgot to mention the LX100 II. I loved the LX100 when I owned it - I only let it go because of ... its lack of weather sealing, and its tendency to drag its feet on switch on (well, the pull of the G1X III's APS-C sensor was real, too). But handling and results were really pleasing, and the II is a fine camera. It's a bit of an in-between because of its size, though - it's not the most compact compact, so to speak. But yes, definitely worth a thought, in spite of its shortish zoom.

M.
I've been working with the LX100.2 for several years now and am still fascinated.
The *only* drawback is the fixed LCD display. But the lense is really good and the range from portrait to wide angle plus a little macro covers most situations on everyday strolls both in towns and in nature.
The best feature of all for me: *all* important settings can be done on the body of the camera, no need to endlessly scroll through menus.

I've been working with the LX100.2 for several years now and am still fascinated.
The *only* drawback is the fixed LCD display. But the lense is really good and the range from portrait to wide angle plus a little macro covers most situations on everyday strolls both in towns and in nature.
The best feature of all for me: *all* important settings can be done on the body of the camera, no need to endlessly scroll through menus.
I on the other hand am thoroughly disenchanted when it comes to the G1X III - not because it's a bad camera, but because it wouldn't take a lot to make it a much better one - in fact, they'd only have to replace the lens with a good prime (they could just use the optics of their M 22mm f/2) and maybe update the sensor. However, for portability and use in the great outdoors, it's still one of the best picks on the market - sturdy, pretty well sealed (I've tested it in that regard), solid image quality in good (enough) light. Still, it's sluggish compared to just about everything else I shoot with, and the lens, along with the sensor and stabilisation, have limitations that will show from time to time - too frequently for my liking.

The only other large sensor compact with a modicum of sealing that I'd also consider pocketable is the Fujifilm X100V - but that one's too much of a faff; the camera is definitely very good, but many aspects of it are just expensive bling, and you have to get accessories to complete the sealing - from this perspective, it's even more overpriced than the G1X III was/is. I'll freely admit that I'm truely fascinated by Fujifilm's latest, but it also irritates the heck out of me. Of course, that's just my opinion, YMMV.

Nothing against the LX100 II - it's just a camera that's a little bigger than I'd like (remember I owned the LX100 and know all about its pocketability), and truth be told, if I was thinking about somthing of that gestalt in earnest, I'd opt for the Q2 today: sealed, great build, fantastic image quality - just about everything is superior if you can live without a zoom lens. I know how thoroughly unfair this comparison is - to the point of it being somewhat unreasonable. But that's how things are for me currently.

Anyhow, once a camera takes up the main compartment in my EDC bag (ONA Bowery), it has to compete against the Nikon Z 6 with Z 40mm f/2 as well as the Olympus E-M5 III with 12-45mm f/4 PRO - and most just lose, either in terms of IQ or versatility or price-performance ratio, if not several of those factors. The Q2, however, wins quite a few contests there - though not all it should, considering its price.

If I think about a compact camera, I want something smaller, something truely (jacket) pocketable that I also don't have to worry about using in all conditions (that's what being portable really means, right - that you can take it with you) - and, irritatingly, the G1X III still seems the only camera that ticks all the boxes in this respect (if you insist on sufficient sealing, as I do). There are some small sensor choices, even if they're not for me - but maybe for you (e.g. the Olympus TG-6 or its predecessors)?

M.

There are some small sensor choices, even if they're not for me - but maybe for you (e.g. the Olympus TG-6 or its predecessors)?
The TG-6 has Pro-Capture ... quite a fancy upgrade for the camera.

I had an LX100 earlier on and I never jelled with but maybe I just need to be more tolerant of using a "small" camera. Heck I am even using my phone now as a camera at times :)

@MoonMind I presume you are referring to a Lecia Q2? Going by the price it will be nearly worth more than the bike :)
I certainly wasn't suggesting you get one! ;)

If handling's a priority, both the G1X III (yes, indeed!) and X100V may be worth a look - the Canon handles great for such a small camera, better than the (already good, in my book) LX100/LX100 II, and the X100V has all the touch points you might want. I'm not sure if I consider the latter a camera for single-hand use, though - the G1X III definitely is, as is the LX100 if you pre-select the aperture, f/2.8 or f/4 to be on the safe side of the (minor!) sharpness "issues" of the lens. FWIW, f/2.8 was always good enough for me! I've never handled a TG series camera, so I can't comment, but if there were size/handling issues with the LX100, I'm pretty certain you'll run into some with the TG-6. That said, I really like the concept of that camera.

If you can forgo sealing, of course, there's a whole host of additional options. If handling's a priority, again, the Canon G5X II is the best of the 1" bunch I've come across so far, with the RX100 series being famously slippery to hold, but there are after-market grips available.

M.

Back