Suggestions for Paypal Alternatives?

Brian

Product of the Fifties
After 20 years I just closed my Paypal account. Their recent revised user policies got to be too much for me to put up with. Despite some statements made, a search on the Paypal site still shows the "we can take $2500 from your account" at their discretion.

Moved recurring charges from Paypal to other sources, setup a credit card for Ebay.

Paypal made things easy for the classified ads here and on other sites. May make it easier to spend less money!

Are their some good alternatives that people are using here?

After 20 years I just closed my Paypal account. Their recent revised user policies got to be too much for me to put up with. Despite some statements made, a search on the Paypal site still shows the "we can take $2500 from your account" at their discretion.

Moved recurring charges from Paypal to other sources, setup a credit card for Ebay.

Paypal made things easy for the classified ads here and on other sites. May make it easier to spend less money!

My wife and I have three accounts each. One each has a debit MasterCard attached. These are not connected to our other accounts. We top them up as necessary. It usually takes our bank around 5 minutes to transfer funds into them. Almost never have more than $1,000 in either of them.

NEVER use our credit MasterCards on the internet.

Depends on what the goal is.

For person-to-person transfers, Zelle is pushed in the US as its supported directly by a bunch of banks (it's actually integrated, for example, with my banks mobile app). Venmo is another popular choice but it has it's own issues. I have not dug deep into either since my circle of family & friends don't use digital payments to each other.

For payment processing Stripe is what I've been looking at as an alternative to PayPal.

Apps like Zelle and Venmo may not have purchaser protection, since they are intended more for person-to-person payments. PayPal has gotten rather onerous, but they still do offer a form of protection as well as integrated shipping/payments/tracking as well which makes them good for business transactions. I am not happy about the tax reporting for $600 or more, however.

For payment processing on my website I use Worldpay as the promoted choice. Much cheaper overall than PayPal but I hear that PayPal are revising their debit card rates imminently.

I mentioned to one of Worldpay's CS agents that I hadn't had a chargeback since joining 10 years ago, the reply was "well, we don't make it terribly easy".

I still accept PayPal though and to be fair, I've not had an issue with them in years either. It very much depends what you sell, where you sell it, and who you sell it to.

Paypal + Ebay was always going to hook you up with the odd wrong 'un.

Having issues with them cancelling my account. They "limited" it after someone sent me $1100 by mistake (yes the guy got it back right away). Since then they have limited it. Now they WANT a copy of my drivers license, bank account numbers, ssn, and what not to cancel the account. Told them I was NOT giving them anything and to cancel my account or I contact my states Attorney General. Only reply I got from them was a phone number to call. I've cancelled more secure accounts than paypal easier. Right now they are losing people left and right over this last AUP update of theirs even though they "claim" it was an accident but yet its still in their new AUP. We all know nothing gets put in there unless it goes through their law teams.

I'm new to this forum and just came across this thread. I totally get where you're coming from with Paypal. Their recently revised user policies and the fact that they can take $2500 from your account at their discretion is a bit too much to handle.
If you're looking for alternatives, have you tried credit card inquiries or online and physical credit cards? They might be a safer option than uploading your personal information online.
Also, I found this cool website called Brianscrabs.cm - Sign In. which has some info about online and physical CC, which might be helpful.

Last edited:
My wife and I have three accounts each. One each has a debit MasterCard attached. These are not connected to our other accounts. We top them up as necessary. It usually takes our bank around 5 minutes to transfer funds into them. Almost never have more than $1,000 in either of them.

NEVER use our credit MasterCards on the internet.

I only have one of my debit-credit cards linked to my paypal account, this is the card I use for online purchases. I usually only transfer roughly enough to pay for the purchases, most of the time there's maybe $1 on that card.

If I do use one of my PayPal accounts, paying off the amount is easy - just link a bank account, pay the bill, once the money is debited, then delete the link. I use a savings account with just the right amount of payoff. I transfer the money from a main account. Regards ScleralGuy

I do not link a bank account to PayPal for purchases. I do use a linked credit card to pay for things, works great. In the rare event I sell something via PayPal, I will most often use the balance to buy something else, often the reason I was selling something anyway. If I do need to get the money out, similar to @ScleralGuy I link it, transfer, then delete the link. I've not had get money out for a while now but this worked fine last time I did it.

I know people who use Square to sell things at festivals, shows, flea markets and the like, and at least one who uses it in her regular retail business. I believe they are pretty similar to PayPal, but I've not used them myself yet.

Back