Suggestions on using a handheld off-camera flash ....

How would you suggest I work with this combination:

(1) Handheld off-camera flash

(2) Manual focusing lens

(3) Wide open lens, no zone focusing.

Something's gotta give, and it has to be zone focusing, right? Is that the only way?

How far off camera do you need it? I ask, because I used to have a bracket which attached to my Minolta at the tripod mount, which would take the flash out about 8" at max: Maybe something like that might work for you, then you would not need to sacrifice anything?

Depends I guess, but I'd probably be holding it at arm's length by default.
There are some shots which I'd like to hold high directly above.

Does the bracket allow movement?

I no longer have that bracket (otherwise I'd send it to you) but I'm sure there must be better about, now (and no, no movement except side to side from about 4-8"). It depends on what you want to photograph. People I know who use flash for still/macro/portrait seem to set them up on tripods or similar, and have wireless sync. I have no idea what the current state of flash tech and accessories is. Sorry, wish I could help more.

What do you want to photograph in that way? maybe there are others who could help, if they knew what you wanted to do.

You can always fix the focus and move yourself. That's what we were taught tp do at events in the MF film days. You'll get an idea of where to set focus distance pretty well aftr some practice. Especally easy with a rangefinder.

Stand in about the right spot and just rock foward or backward to acheive perfect focus.

Gordon

I no longer have that bracket (otherwise I'd send it to you) but I'm sure there must be better about, now (and no, no movement except side to side from about 4-8"). It depends on what you want to photograph. People I know who use flash for still/macro/portrait seem to set them up on tripods or similar, and have wireless sync. I have no idea what the current state of flash tech and accessories is. Sorry, wish I could help more.

What do you want to photograph in that way? maybe there are others who could help, if they knew what you wanted to do.

That would've been a nice gesture Sue, thanks.

I was wanting to be mobile, walking with flash in one hand and camera in the other, perhaps at a party or at an event.

You can always fix the focus and move yourself. That's what we were taught tp do at events in the MF film days. You'll get an idea of where to set focus distance pretty well aftr some practice. Especally easy with a rangefinder.

Stand in about the right spot and just rock foward or backward to acheive perfect focus.

Gordon

hi Gordon, hmm.... that could be the only workable idea.

Hey are you coming to Thorsten's brekky this Sat?

I used to use a Sunpak 522 (potato masher :) ) it came w/ its own bracket mount w/ a quick release.. Focus first w/ flash attached to camera...then use quick release to hold away pointed where u want. Or leave it on the camera, use a soft filter or bounce the flash at rear wall and up depending on situation.

Gary

Back