Feedback Suggestions To Improve Forum Participation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you adding things that I didn't say?

And your age and time photographing doesn't have bearing here, unless it's you sidestepping that you look down on people younger than you.

Again, it's not hard to open the forum up and welcome more people, rather than shutting them out, is it? Is preserving this clique that important?

You are trolling for a flamewar, and started it on the other thread.

I do not see anyone excluded from this site. It seems to be you that is attempting to curtail the posts made by others. You have been insulting with regard to cat pictures, and of the members here. It is not often that such rude behavior pops up on this forum, but you have managed it. I see no clique, no "Leica is Best" or "Fuji is Best" on the part of anyone.

Last item (for now) before I go do some work. I extend my sincere appreciation to the admins and mods in this forum - past and present (and future). Y'all have done a great job encouraging people's participations and welcoming them to the forum. BB has nearly 9000 posts since July 2010. No one has gone more out of her way than BB to respond to not only every thread but also to almost every post that I come across!! And I'll say that again, "every post"!! The 9000 posts are non-inclusive of the number of "thanks" that she has also given. In my eyes, it's an anomaly whenever BB is not a participant in a thread.

Peace out and Happy New Year to everyone!

I agree

See, this might be backing up what I'm saying that forum members are widely ignored, except for a few, while some are rallied around. Again, I would offer that the forum should have wider acceptance and tolerance for a variety of users and encourage postings from everyone, even if you don't like me. Unfortunately, in my case, I offered, from the beginning, the suggestion that users here should be more welcoming and interactive with a wider group. This was met with resistance and more suggestions for me to leave (which already took place, incidentally), rather than reevaluating things (instead of escalating them) and trying it out to welcome a wider spectrum of users and styles here.

It's not too much to ask for, to try to be more open and welcoming to more users, is it? What's the worst that could happen? The forum will get better and interactive and will grow? It almost seems like the users here are resisting that very possibility.

Excuse me but what about this post is encouraging inclusiveness

It's hard to take anyone seriously with regard to improving a forum when it is made in an insulting and confrontational manor.

Perhaps the best suggestion of all is to be a bit more civil in posts, and not denigrate others in offering suggestions.

As for an appropriate forum: if a member dislikes this one so much, and the members are closed to ideas being offered- it is time to move on, or start your own forum.

This is a suggestion to help improve the site:

I would like to see a dedicated Words/No words sub-forum in the Image forum.

The W/NW threads get spread out on the various sub-forums, and often there is not a sub-forum suitable for the W/NW thread.

SO: Suggestion, W/NW sub-forum in the Image forum.

Lili please don't stop taking and posting images that have a cat in them. Your images are portraits that happen to be of a cat, not snaps of a kitty looking cute. They have plenty of photographic merit and deserve to be seen.

See, this might be backing up what I'm saying that forum members are widely ignored, except for a few, while some are rallied around. Again, I would offer that the forum should have wider acceptance and tolerance for a variety of users and encourage postings from everyone, even if you don't like me. Unfortunately, in my case, I offered, from the beginning, the suggestion that users here should be more welcoming and interactive with a wider group. This was met with resistance and more suggestions for me to leave (which already took place, incidentally), rather than reevaluating things (instead of escalating them) and trying it out to welcome a wider spectrum of users and styles here.

How are Will's words anything but showing "acceptance and tolerance" and "encouraging postings from everyone"?

IF Will had written, "Lili, you are posting way too many cat photos, I hate cats, and you should stop posting cat photos," then THAT would be NOT showing acceptance and tolerance, and it would definitely be discouraging postings. You have taken well thought out words of encouragement by Will, and interpreted them as something negative. While I agree that I'd like to see tons of more different types of photos and comments from everyone, you are way off base on this one.

I tend to support whoever I think warrants it. Like I did for Otto in his thread and I've never knowingly had anything to do with his posts before :)

I do have a slight sympathy with what you said, though I think mostly it is a case of, if you join any new community, you need to take a while to see the lay of the land and build up a rapport with the existing members. In forums, as in life generally, you tend to have to work at earning inclusion and I see no harm in that.

It's not too much to ask for, to try to be more open and welcoming to more users, is it? What's the worst that could happen? The forum will get better and interactive and will grow? It almost seems like the users here are resisting that very possibility.

I have been involved in running virtual communities since the mid 80s (yes, really!), and I find 23% quite good for a site like this. Obviously, sites like this serve a certain purpose. Often, someone is interested in buying a new camera, gets the info he wants, then disappears. The might return if they have problems with their camera or want to buy another one. I still have no idea what LOLCATs are supposed to be, but hey, it sounds like they are a really bad thing. I'm also running a vBulletin forum here in Germany (larger than this one for sure), so I'm used to users who want to change or improve things in a way that feels like THEY are owning and running it. I prefer to see myself as a guest, so I better behave like one. As a rather new user, I certainly don't feel that I'm ignored (to the contrary!) on SC.

If you want to improve anything, my foremost wish would be to change "New Posts" to actually show all threads with unread posts and not just threads with additional new unread posts since my last session. I'm definitely missing plenty of interesting threads because of this, so my participation would improve if SC worked like all the other (vBulletin) forums I visit.

You are trolling for a flamewar, and started it on the other thread.

I do not see anyone excluded from this site. It seems to be you that is attempting to curtail the posts made by others. You have been insulting with regard to cat pictures, and of the members here. It is not often that such rude behavior pops up on this forum, but you have managed it. I see no clique, no "Leica is Best" or "Fuji is Best" on the part of anyone.

Please don't tell me what I'm doing. Maybe you should ask the staff, whom I spoke to in private.

You're unfortunately playing the game, as if it's 1999, where when you don't like something you don't read and don't agree with it, it's automatically "trolling", as if people are afraid of that. If you don't believe it, PM your staff, and ask them.

You are being inciteful and escalating this, rather than diffusing, showing tolerance, and trying to actually make the community more open for all.

It's hard to take anyone seriously with regard to improving a forum when it is made in an insulting and confrontational manor.

Perhaps the best suggestion of all is to be a bit more civil in posts, and not denigrate others in offering suggestions.

As for an appropriate forum: if a member dislikes this one so much, and the members are closed to ideas being offered- it is time to move on, or start your own forum.

Thanks Brian. I am going to repost my previous comment:
So far I see the takeaways as:
1. post photos in the right place,
2. provide C+C on photos whenever and wherever you can
3. love one another...
Does this cover most of your concerns and cover off the OP's "Suggestions To Improve Forum Participation" on this count?

Otherwise, I note your further suggestion:
This is a suggestion to help improve the site:

I would like to see a dedicated Words/No words sub-forum in the Image forum.

The W/NW threads get spread out on the various sub-forums, and often there is not a sub-forum suitable for the W/NW thread.

SO: Suggestion, W/NW sub-forum in the Image forum.
Thanks for this and I'd like to give this some further thought alongside you guys and the other Mods and Admin - in light of what is currently on offer. Can I ask that you post/repost this in the site's Suggestion Box so its merits can be considered by the readership there?

Keep the constructive suggestions coming folks - this is the only way our site will evolve. But, like Brian, coming with a solution is always easier than an account of how broken things are. But I'd recommend your fleshed out ideas also be posted to the Suggestion Box as that thread has the eyes of Admins and Mods who can give flesh to your vision.

Cheers,

Mark

If you want to improve anything, my foremost with would be to change "New Posts" to actually show all threads with unread posts and not just posts that added new unread posts since my last session. I'm definitely missing plenty of interesting threads because of this, so my participation would improve if SC worked like all the other (vBulletin) forums I visit.
Another great suggestion!!! Thanks mate. Can I trouble you to post this idea in the Suggestion Box. If it's technically doable on our platform, we might need a little bit more of your help to ensure it's implemented correctly. Otherwise, if the capability is already there, but needs some tweaking to get it to work for everyone might use your help to piece together an instructional.

Thanks mate. Again it's this breed of constructive input that will make the SC experience better for all us light-lovers. (y)

For the record, I was kidding about that too (the Playboy bunnies that is)!!!

Just in case my GF decides to come on SC and reads this thread!
:rofl:
Armando, mate, we could simply amend posts in this thread to erase any reference you've made to said bunnies...or we might cite this as another great improvement for the Suggestion Box - have an auto-alerts set up to email respective partners of SC members tipping them on naughty wrong-doings. :laugh1:
Hmmm...I leave the options to your discretion my friend ;)

re: C&C

Some good suggestions, just an aside here. C&C, as in constructive criticism, is an individual's choice - if someone asks for it, or posts in the Photo Critique forum, then they want it, otherwise they're interested in sharing their photographs, not getting critiqued. Here is the sticky thread in the Photo Critique forum.

Please don't tell me what I'm doing. Maybe you should ask the staff, whom I spoke to in private.

You're unfortunately playing the game, as if it's 1999, where when you don't like something you don't read and don't agree with it, it's automatically "trolling", as if people are afraid of that. If you don't believe it, PM your staff, and ask them.

You are being inciteful and escalating this, rather than diffusing, showing tolerance, and trying to actually make the community more open for all.

Whatever. I've seen a 1000 other trolls move in on Photo forums and attempt to inflict their ideas of what a forum should be on everyone else. It is tiring. All in the name of improving everyone else and their photography.

Your suggestions started with limiting the number of cat pictures being posted was not open-minded, friendly, or useful. Smacks of photo.net 2003, not 1999.

Photo.net burned itself out with suggestions and posts like yours. Finally they implemented a "no negative comment" rule, and banned a lot of trolls.

Escalate? no. Just like a 1000 times before.

The worst thing this forum could do is limit the number of cat pictures being posted. That is closed-minded censorship. I'm glad that will never happen on this forum.

Whatever. I've seen a 1000 other trolls move in on Photo forums and attempt to inflict their ideas of what a forum should be on everyone else. It is tiring. All in the name of improving everyone else and their photography.

Your suggestions started with limiting the number of cat pictures being posted was not open-minded, friendly, or useful. Smacks of photo.net 2003, not 1999.

Photo.net burned itself out with suggestions and posts like yours. Finally they implemented a "no negative comment" rule, and banned a lot of trolls.

Escalate? no. Just like a 1000 times before.

The worst thing this forum could do is limit the number of cat pictures being posted. That is closed-minded censorship. I'm glad that will never happen on this forum.

Well, this is not photo.net and you're still living in the past and you're still being inflammatory and still escalating and not providing much openness when people have moved on.

Sorry, but cat pictures and memes are all over the internet. Maybe each cat pic shouldn't be posted in two forums and should go into one thread? Even google is working on separating cat videos now. That's 2011/2012.

You're still putting words in my mouth and saying things I didn't. I was encouraging, just like a couple posters before me to bring the point up, that maybe things are extremely one-sided and they are cliquey. The example was given that if one posts cat pics, they will all become multi-page threads. Others can post (and have), and get ignored by the forum. When people bring it up, they get crapped on and are met with the denials. Remember, I'm not the first that brought this up.

The Serious Compacts Site Rules and Terms of Service:
Site-wide rules and terms of service for SeriousCompacts.com:
No personal attacks or insults allowed.
Be nice. Rude comments have no place here.
Don't use the forums for illegal activity. This includes but is not limited to posting links to or trading pirated photography-related applications.
No obscene, hateful, threatening, racist, sexist, or otherwise discriminatory posts or signatures. Nudity and profanity are also off limits.
Discussion of politics and religion is not allowed anywhere on the site. This includes discussion of photography-related politics such as photographers' rights.
All transactions in the Marketplace should be photography related.
Commercial listings (camera dealers, workshop offerings, etc) should be posted in the Outside Auctions and Commercial Listings forum.
Don't spam the forums. Some self-promotion is okay if it follows the guidelines below.
It is against our site rules to modify and repost a version of anyone else's image without explicit permission to do so.
The moderators at SeriousCompacts.com may remove, edit, move or close any thread, post or posted image.
If you object to a moderator action, please PM an admin rather than posting in the open forum about it.
Do not embed your affiliate sales codes in forum posts (instant ban).

As the Administrator here, I am closing this thread to anymore comments or discussion.

We have, and have always had, a thread devoted to specific suggestions in the Help and Feedback forum. Specific suggestions and requests that members would like to see implemented are always welcome. Almost all of the time, these improvements must be made my Amin Sabet. Here is the thread: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f19/suggestion-box-24/

Any further personal attacks or rude remarks, etc., will be deleted.

My own suggestion is that we all do our best to lead by example when we can. Thank you all for your input and interest in making Serious Compacts a place you care to spend some time.:th_salute:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back