Ricoh Sunday Morning with the GRDIII

First, pausing on Shortland Esplanade, watching the sun rise.

View attachment 43622
sunrise by kyte50, on Flickr

On to Newcastle Pool and Beach. The clouds looked great, the beach not so good. Gulls were having their morning ablutions. I always seem to get there at bathtime

View attachment 43623
cloudreflect by kyte50, on Flickr

I stayed down at the beach for quite some time, but was shooting with other cameras as well. Next.. on to Wheeler Place. This is located near the new (well not so new anymore) Newcastle City town hall (not in photograph) the old Newcastle City town hall (clock tower visible) and the Civic Theatre, which is used for live shows, concerts, etc.

View attachment 43624
townhallclock by kyte50, on Flickr

On the other side of Wheeler Place, the Civic Theatre, and restaurant/bistro. Its been restored to its 1930s glory and is just gorgeous inside. I was way too early for that. Not much else to shoot in this part of town and I am on my way to Jesmond Park

View attachment 43625
civic by kyte50, on Flickr

Flowers in the park before I return home.

View attachment 43626
dietes by kyte50, on Flickr

View attachment 43627
oddflower by kyte50, on Flickr

View attachment 43628
rose by kyte50, on Flickr

By the time I got to the park, clouds were gathering, and I headed home before much time had passed. Its sunny again now, but I don't think I'll be going out again. My day began at 5am, I was home again by 7.30 and now, I think I need a nap.

Interestingly, I also shot with the K-5 and the X100 for the sunrise... and those shots were generally rubbish, I am just crap at using those cameras. Time to sell I think.

Lovely images Sue. Truly inspiring!!!

So all with the GRDIII, and you preferred both the images and the handling of this 'lil street machine to the K5 and X100? Oh no, the next two tabs open near the SC site are Ricoh's GRDIV and Fuji X10!!!!

Very nice Sue. I find I tend to almost always use the GRD3 as a gritty little B&W street camera, but I forget how good an all around little shooter it is. At base ISO it can produce really really fine clean images - color or B&W. I'm gonna have to start using like that again. But I guess for those kinds of shots I get more hung up on versatility and IQ and end up taking the EPL3 or X100, but no reason not to put the GRD to more of this kind of use...

-Ray

I think the thing I most appreciate about the GRD3 is how light and easy it is. I find myself reaching for that when I am going out (when not going woith photographic intent) more than the X100, which fits as easily in my big bag as the GRD. I dont know why. I just really love it.

The other thing is, I have realised I am never going to really get into street photography, much as I would like to. The times I need to be there to get shots of people are times when I can't be, for a whole lot of reasons. And in this town, most of the crowds are indoors at huge shopping malls. I did miss an opportunity the other day, the local farmers market was on. I'll make a trip there in a couple of weeks when its on again, GRD in hand :)

A great set of pics Sue. I have no regrets with my recent GRD3 purchase. It's such a joy to use both on and off the street. Definitely a keeper for me.

Back