Leica Sunrise with the Noctilux

Carl, got it last week. Might not last however, I am thinking of swapping it with an Olympus E-M1 Mk II set. I really love the EVF of the SL. Amazing. I can focus almost 100% without zooming in. Even with lens like Noctilux or 80mm Summilux. That EVF is something else. The response is quite fast also. I've tested the kit lens and it is fast but I don't have it. Picture is amazing. In the picture above, at around the top 1/3 of the image, you will see a little red spot. Initially, I thought that was a flare. looking carefully, it was actually a flag. Great DR. ISO of 50 which is nice. Electronic shutter of 1/16000. I love the little joy stick at the back. For those occasion where I need to zoom in, it is easy and fast. So with all the good stuff, why give it up? When I mounted the 80mm Summilux or the 100mm Apo-Elmarit, I was a bit taken back at how heavy the setup was. I guess both of those lens are heavy but this SL is quite heavy as well. I wish the battery can last longer and yes, with the grip, maybe 2 batteries but again, added weight. I also remember how much I hated the M 240 when I was in Montreal because of its weight and here I am, lugging an even heavier body. So think I am going to give it up for a m4/3 and a bunch of lens. Crazy

Great insights, thanks Vince. The SL seems truly an incredible beast. I know I'd love that EVF. The image detail is beautiful.

Regarding the MK II (or even more so the Pen-F), the size and weight are off-the-charts for the performance offered. Their 20MP images produce detail which floors me, with something as small and versatile as the 12-32mm Panasonic pancake lens. (Do check out the Pen-F, if you're considering the MK-II.)

There's just one caveat, and it's a big one: There's nothing like shooting a Leica lens on a Leica body. Sometimes nothing else will do, heh!

If they could just produce a digital M3 ... (138mm X 77mm X 33.5mm, full-frame!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I figure I will use mostly native m4/3 lens with the Oly. That way, I can get lazy and just use AF. I might occasionally use some R lens with it however :)

I really needed a camera that can take good video (with IBIS) so that my video is not too shaky. The SL does not have that, plus they wanted $189 for a mic adapter. The E-M1.2 got those covered. For now, my plan is to have the M 240 as just rangefinder (sold my VF2 and SEMA-1). The E-M1.2 will be my travel/video/R lens camera. Maybe when the SL2 or some people are speculating a mini-SL. Just maybe.

Will see.

I have an SL.....Leicaflex. I just picked it off the shelf after fondling a Pentax ME Super. Ha!! A freaking tank. But I am keeping it. I like the idea of m4/3 but it seems to be losing a bit steam?? Fuji forging ahead....along with Sony. But the entire Oly system is truly innovative and high quality. I agree with Carl.....the Pen F....even though I've never tried it.

[QUOTE="carlb, post: 14115, member: 83

There's just one caveat, and it's a big one: There's nothing like shooting a Leica lens on a Leica body. Sometimes nothing else will do, heh!"

THAT is a killer problem, vexing me. It will probably only be rectified by my breaking down at some point and buying something like M240. If I can carry around a Leicaflex SL with a 60 Elmarit, or an M5, I can take a M240.

It's just so darn irritating to pay that much for a four year old digicam. Digital deflation has spoiled me., especially when you see what even a Canon SL1 will do.

Well, it is official. I am no longer the owner of the SL but an Olympus E-M1 mk 2. :)

It was fun but ultimately, what I am looking for is a camera that can also take great video. The SL is capable but I am not as my video with the SL is quite shaky. Therefore, I needed (really wanted) a body with IBIS. Oly it is.

Yes....5 axis IBIS and access to those very fine pro lenses. I'm not sure but I think similar capabilities of Pen F.

I've been using R lens with M4/3 forever :). Stop down metering I think is the term. I can use the aperture priority on the camera, select the aperture on the lens and let the camera select the shutter speed. Works very well in my experience. Easy to focus with the EVF also.

Here is one I took of my daughter with a Lumix G1 and a Leica 180 Elmarit-R vers 2.

15898176991_6826583bba_b.jpg
P1110401.jpg
by VINCE, on Flickr

I could be confused. But obviously the cam system on the R lens does not allow for wide open metering on Oly so stopping down cannot be compensated for when setting the lens aperture. I guess it could get pretty "dark" in the EVF but I"ll take your word that it is doable. At one point I had a one cam 50 summicron R on my SL and I had to stop down meter. I did not like it and swapped for a newer three cam. I could have moved the one cam to the second cam position.....but still left with a lens requiring Series filters and hood. NO BUENO imo.

I could be confused. But obviously the cam system on the R lens does not allow for wide open metering on Oly so stopping down cannot be compensated for when setting the lens aperture. I guess it could get pretty "dark" in the EVF but I"ll take your word that it is doable. At one point I had a one cam 50 summicron R on my SL and I had to stop down meter. I did not like it and swapped for a newer three cam. I could have moved the one cam to the second cam position.....but still left with a lens requiring Series filters and hood. NO BUENO imo.

Yeah, stopping down can be quite dark. So I focus wide open and then stop down to take the shot. Not the most efficient but does the trick.

with the SL and a one cam lens.....you can focus wide open, selecting the aperture doesn't change the image until you depress the DOF button and hold it down. At that point it is possible to meter, holding button down, and simultaneously setting shutter speed. A real loser of a process, espcially with an SL that feels like 10 lbs..

Back