Ricoh Suppose they made another GR. . .

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
What FF equivalent focal length would it be? The could make a wider one (20 mme) or a longer one (90 mme). The long one would create a trinity of GRs, 28, 40, and 90, which would be similar to the so-called prime trinities for ILCs. I bet there would be less total weight than many of them, of course including the ILC body.

I think a wider lens would be the most natural fit; there is of course the GR21 as a precedent, and the shooting style of the GR lends itself well to wide angles - since it's not usually held up to the eye, it's easy to find creative angles and play with perspective in ways that are most effective with wide angles. That said, a long lens option would be cool... but I could also do with a larger aperture. That might be totally impossible within the constraints of the size, of course, but the GRIIIX has given me a taste of a bit more DoF control inside of a pocket sized camera, if they could squeeze in an f2 it would differentiate itself even more from other compact camera options.

The 28 and 40 make a decent pairing, but a 21 and a 40, combined with the usable crops Ricoh includes, could do 99% of all the photography that I might be likely to want to do.

However, and this is a major caveat, I don't like carrying both GRIII bodies. It's awkward, you never know which is which without checking, and you feel like you're going to drop them when juggling between them. It's a thing which seems like it should work in theory, but in practice falls quite short of the ideal.

I think a wider lens would be the most natural fit; there is of course the GR21 as a precedent, and the shooting style of the GR lends itself well to wide angles - since it's not usually held up to the eye, it's easy to find creative angles and play with perspective in ways that are most effective with wide angles. That said, a long lens option would be cool... but I could also do with a larger aperture. That might be totally impossible within the constraints of the size, of course, but the GRIIIX has given me a taste of a bit more DoF control inside of a pocket sized camera, if they could squeeze in an f2 it would differentiate itself even more from other compact camera options.

The 28 and 40 make a decent pairing, but a 21 and a 40, combined with the usable crops Ricoh includes, could do 99% of all the photography that I might be likely to want to do.

However, and this is a major caveat, I don't like carrying both GRIII bodies. It's awkward, you never know which is which without checking, and you feel like you're going to drop them when juggling between them. It's a thing which seems like it should work in theory, but in practice falls quite short of the ideal.
I've solved this problem as follows:

1. I carry both in a double mag pouch similar to this one:
1640032167010.png

They ALWAYS go in the same way 'round. The pouch goes on my right side, with the GRIIIX in the left hand ("front") pouch and the GRIII on the right. I NEVER swap them around.

2. The two cameras are identical in every respect EXCEPT that they have different wrist straps (look AND feel) and the GRIII has a coloured front ring.

It works, believe me, and it is faster than you think to work like this.

I've solved this problem as follows:

1. I carry both in a double mag pouch similar to this one:
View attachment 282194

They ALWAYS go in the same way 'round. The pouch goes on my right side, with the GRIIIX in the left hand ("front") pouch and the GRIII on the right. I NEVER swap them around.

2. The two cameras are identical in every respect EXCEPT that they have different wrist straps (look AND feel) and the GRIII has a coloured front ring.

It works, believe me, and it is faster than you think to work like this.
And the 2A folks get confused when they can't figure out where you stowed the sidearm you're packing backup mags for!

On the subject of focal lengths - I very rarely shoot wide (one reason why the GRIIIx is a dream come true to me) but if I wanted to I would snag the 21mm auxiliary lens. At the other end, I am on a waitlist for the 70mm auxiliary lens. If you drew a bell curve I'd suggest that the current 28mm and 40mm bodies sit within it and that anything wider or longer sits to either side. From a business pov the auxiliary lens approach makes far more sense than trying to sell a whole body.

Back