Ricoh Surprise! Ricoh GRIIIx (Showcase)

Pushing a file quite a bit in Lightroom.

_R005447.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks! I agree, I was really happy with how the camera handled that scene. It goes to show how well Ricoh succeeded at their stated goal of making the IIIx lens fully optically corrected, and as good of a performer as it could possibly be.

Finally managed to find a "used" GRIIIx! (shuttercount: 136)... and am quite impressed. Didn't expect just how small the camera is. :) Image quality is really nice - will have to learn how to use this camera properly though... So much camera in such a small size! :)

Some first snaps from the last 3 days:

View attachment 327563lunch walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 327564lunch walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 327565Thursday evening by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 327566Friday evening by tilman paulin, on Flickr
Welcome into the fold! Let us know if you have questions on the camera. Odds are one of us has figured it out. :)

I guess the first ‘obligatory‘ questions would be about what kind of cases/belt bags/etc everyone is using? :)

I read through this thread again, and the JJC lens cap was mentioned a few times - so I‘m looking at that too…

Ricoh states that the screen is from tempered glass - which sounds like an extra screen protector isn’t necessary?

Interested to hear about recommendations for accessories (I guess an extra battery might be a good purchase too :)

This is my case: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WHT4XF...olid=2AEXJQKCCCM1Q&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

And the wrist straps I prefer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087PBTGZX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plus JJC's lens cap and thumb grip, make up the majority of my accessories. I do use a tempered glass screen protector, though. Being so small, the camera is a little too easy to have slip and fall sometime along the way, and I've had a couple of screen protectors which broke due to that sort of thing. So it's worth it.

So I definitely like the JJC lens cap... (y)
the jury is still out on the thumb rest :) (it adds stability in some ways - but then feels like it gets in the way sometimes too... So I'll need a bit more time to come to a conclusion on that one)

Bagwise I finally found some use for the Peak Design field pouch I bought a while ago... (it's too big for just one camera, but too small for anything bigger - and doesn't have any useful dividers)
I added my own divider and now it's the perfect bag to hold the Olympus Stylus 1 and the GR3x together...

One question that occurred to me when adding the lenscap - there's a small raised screw on the lens "barrel". Is that normal?
It doesn't look like it could be screwed in any further - just wanted to check whether anything got loose on mine...

Attachments

• P8270843.JPG
    P8270843.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 48
the jury is still out on the thumb rest :) (it adds stability in some ways - but then feels like it gets in the way sometimes too... So I'll need a bit more time to come to a conclusion on that one)

Bagwise I finally found some use for the Peak Design field pouch I bought a while ago... (it's too big for just one camera, but too small for anything bigger - and doesn't have any useful dividers)
I added my own divider and now it's the perfect bag to hold the Olympus Stylus 1 and the GR3x together...

One question that occurred to me when adding the lenscap - there's a small raised screw on the lens "barrel". Is that normal?
It doesn't look like it could be screwed in any further - just wanted to check whether anything got loose on mine...
I agree on the thumb rest - sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. It shifts your grip somewhat, into one which is more steady but not as comfortable. I enjoy how much easier it slips into and out of a pocket without the thumb grip but when I know I will be carrying it in my hand for a longer time I'm glad to have the extra control it gives.

The screw is part of the decorative ring around the barrel, which will turn counterclockwise and come off to reveal the mounting grooves for the accessory which mounts the teleconverter (or threaded filters). It is part of a retaining clip which is a small piece of springy metal on the inside. Turning the screw doesn't seem to do anything.

I like the images you posted especially the first two!

Yes the screw is normal. I have no idea how vital it is, but don't unscrew it for fear your camera will fly apart like a clown car! 🤣

I’m on the hunt for a pre-owned GRiiix. Really want a compact carry again and the 40mm ex is one a jive with.

I’ve had the GR and GRiii before, but sold both. The 28mm eq is great for many things, but I think this 40mm version will be better suited for my use case for this camera (family snaps, outings, etc) when photography isn’t the main focus (no pun intended).

I’m on the hunt for a pre-owned GRiiix. Really want a compact carry again and the 40mm ex is one a jive with.

I’ve had the GR and GRiii before, but sold both. The 28mm eq is great for many things, but I think this 40mm version will be better suited for my use case for this camera (family snaps, outings, etc) when photography isn’t the main focus (no pun intended).
mpb.com has the GR IIIx in stock right now.

Back