Ricoh Surprise! Ricoh GRIIIx (Showcase)

Thanks Andrew. Unfortunately, not much of a savings over new and buying from the US isn’t the best with the current FEX and then taxes/brokerage.

They are available new locally for less, but looking for a pre-owned one to save a couple hundred dollars.

Took me a while and two attempts to get one from a local shop here in Vancouver. Used ones seem to sell pretty fast :)
The first time, I successfully ordered online - and then got an email that the camera had already gone.
The second time, I got an email again that it had already gone - but then received a phone call later that it was still available :)

Hopefully you have a bit more luck over on the East Coast 🤞 Maybe you can put your name down with some of the local shops - that you're looking for one?
Always worth asking I'd guess... Some stores might not bother with updating stock levels for used items... I heard from another photographer that Calgary's "The Camera Store" does have used cameras - even though they never put them online...

I’m on the hunt for a pre-owned GRiiix. Really want a compact carry again and the 40mm ex is one a jive with.

I’ve had the GR and GRiii before, but sold both. The 28mm eq is great for many things, but I think this 40mm version will be better suited for my use case for this camera (family snaps, outings, etc) when photography isn’t the main focus (no pun intended).
It doesn't look like there are any refurbished models right now on the Ricoh site, but that's usually the best option for a decently priced used IIIx.

Thanks @tilman - a couple of local stores have stock here for new ones, which I may take the plunge on if I can’t find a used one for a good price.

It doesn't look like there are any refurbished models right now on the Ricoh site, but that's usually the best option for a decently priced used IIIx.

Unfortunately they don’t ship to Canada - boo Ricoh. LOL

We’ll, didn’t take long. Found a very good deal on a GRiiix with the Tele converter and adapter that was too good to pass up. The Tele looks good, but defeats the purpose of what this camera will serve for me, so I plan to sell both it and the adapter to make the cost of acquiring the GR very nice.

Seller bought both the iii and iiix, but will be keeping the iii and getting something with more versatility for the longer focal lengths (RX10 was in his sights). We had a good chat and I suggested he look at m43 as a compact ILC option that would suit his birding needs.

Back to the iiix: I noticed right of the bat, that it will take some time to adjust to the 40mm eq if this type of camera. I’m very familiar with the 35/40 focal length, and prefer it in most cases, but all cameras of the type that I’ve had (GR, GRiii, Coolpix A) have conditioned me to expect a 28.

Looking forward to putting it through its paces and having a nice compact camera that I can drop into my current EDC sling bag easily.

We’ll, didn’t take long. Found a very good deal on a GRiiix with the Tele converter and adapter that was too good to pass up. The Tele looks good, but defeats the purpose of what this camera will serve for me, so I plan to sell both it and the adapter to make the cost of acquiring the GR very nice.

Seller bought both the iii and iiix, but will be keeping the iii and getting something with more versatility for the longer focal lengths (RX10 was in his sights). We had a good chat and I suggested he look at m43 as a compact ILC option that would suit his birding needs.

Back to the iiix: I noticed right of the bat, that it will take some time to adjust to the 40mm eq if this type of camera. I’m very familiar with the 35/40 focal length, and prefer it in most cases, but all cameras of the type that I’ve had (GR, GRiii, Coolpix A) have conditioned me to expect a 28.

Looking forward to putting it through its paces and having a nice compact camera that I can drop into my current EDC sling bag easily.
Congrats! Here's a left-field suggestion in learning the focal length: what about pretending you have a basic SLR and a night fifty by making a point to use the IIIX in 50mm crop? Personally I had trouble with expecting the wider field of view as well, but if you could trick yourself into expecting a longer lens like a fifty, then switching back to forty might seem like a useful middle ground and marry your wider and longer experience. Who knows.

Congrats! Here's a left-field suggestion in learning the focal length: what about pretending you have a basic SLR and a night fifty by making a point to use the IIIX in 50mm crop? Personally I had trouble with expecting the wider field of view as well, but if you could trick yourself into expecting a longer lens like a fifty, then switching back to forty might seem like a useful middle ground and marry your wider and longer experience. Who knows.

Not a bad idea - I may just try that. Thanks for the suggestion Andrew.

I think the issue is I typically use a viewfinder on most of my cameras, so am used to the FL when up to my eye. With the GR, holding it out in front of my body makes the FL feel “off”. Fro 28, I’m used to my previous cameras and my iPhone, where it feels more natural.

I’m sure it’ll just take a few days of usage to get the hang of it.

Congrats! That didn't take too long - hope you get used to the FOV quicker than you think too! :)

For me it was the opposite way around - the (original) Sigma DP2 with its 41mm (equiv) was my first "serious compact"... When I picked up a DP1x (28mm equiv) later, it took me quite some time to warm up to it :)

Here's a GR3x snap from last night:

52338846543_0d068f69e7_b.jpg
Monday evening by tilman paulin, on Flickr

Took it to a local fair on Friday evening. Still struggled with the tighter focal length when using a camera at arms length and a 28mm eq would probably be better suited for this environment, but liked the 40mm for some tight compositions with people in the frame.

Definitely nice to have a little compact that I just toss into my small EDC sling.

Below are a few photos from the night and will likely share some others in the themed threads.

52351128838_68dbb2a320_k.jpg

52350885561_ae8973cc50_k.jpg

52349934587_c2f0377060_k.jpg

52351206639_2da1075dda_k.jpg

Took it to a local fair on Friday evening. Still struggled with the tighter focal length when using a camera at arms length and a 28mm eq would probably be better suited for this environment, but liked the 40mm for some tight compositions with people in the frame.

Definitely nice to have a little compact that I just toss into my small EDC sling.

Below are a few photos from the night and will likely share some others in the themed threads.

View attachment 335557

View attachment 335558

View attachment 335559

View attachment 335560
The beauty of the GRiiix or it's 28mm counterpart is that it's very small but produces really high quality images. It rides around in my work bag.

Channeling a bit of Stephen Shore (which is something I like to do), a hotel shot.

_R006559.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Something I like about this shot is the way the GR IIIx lets me embody the early and late Stephen Shore look at the same time. He started out with a Rollei 35, shooting the somewhat lower-fidelity color film of the time in a very run-and-gun way, as in the book American Surfaces. Later on he went to using a 4X5 camera for greater fidelity, and the book Uncommon Places shows the enhanced color fidelity and depth of the shadows using that format. The GR captures the aspect ratio and 40mm look of the Rollei along with depth of color and shadow subtlety of his later work.

I enjoy the IIIx's film simulations, especially Positive Film, but do want the flexibility RAW provides. Can anyone confirm, is it the case Lightroom doesn't have these RICOH camera profiles or am I missing an update? If LR doesn't have them, does anyone know if the profiles can be applied to the DNG file in camera and then uploaded as that DNG file to LR, thus preserving the malleability? Otherwise, how forgiving do you feel the JPEGs are to post work?

I enjoy the IIIx's film simulations, especially Positive Film, but do want the flexibility RAW provides. Can anyone confirm, is it the case Lightroom doesn't have these RICOH camera profiles or am I missing an update? If LR doesn't have them, does anyone know if the profiles can be applied to the DNG file in camera and then uploaded as that DNG file to LR, thus preserving the malleability? Otherwise, how forgiving do you feel the JPEGs are to post work?
Lightroom does not preserve the GR's JPEG profiles with DNG files. While it does support that behavior with a few manufacturers, I think it's a combination of enhanced functionality of that manufacturer's proprietary RAW format and/or Adobde considering them more high-volume manufacturers (think Canon/Nikon/whatever). So, no dice with Ricoh DNGs.

I don't typically like to work with JPEGs in Lightroom or similar programs most of the time. I'd say the GR files are significantly better than micro four thirds JPEGs if you do want to do some post work to them, but not nearly as good as the files form my Pentax K1 II. However, the good news is that the JPEG engine in-camera is really, really good and the RAW conversion options are extensive. My normal course of action is to take RAW or RAW+JPEG, then edit the RAW till I get a look I really want and save this as an extra JPEG (you can save as many as you want). Unless you need to seriously change the levels (which is the one area where I feel the camera engine struggles), you can get things pretty much taken care of in-camera.

If you're desperate for positive film, Samuel Streetlife sells a set of Lightroom/Photoshop presets which come quite close, they cost me $10 if I remember right so definitely not unreasonable.

Lightroom does not preserve the GR's JPEG profiles with DNG files. While it does support that behavior with a few manufacturers, I think it's a combination of enhanced functionality of that manufacturer's proprietary RAW format and/or Adobde considering them more high-volume manufacturers (think Canon/Nikon/whatever). So, no dice with Ricoh DNGs.

I don't typically like to work with JPEGs in Lightroom or similar programs most of the time. I'd say the GR files are significantly better than micro four thirds JPEGs if you do want to do some post work to them, but not nearly as good as the files form my Pentax K1 II. However, the good news is that the JPEG engine in-camera is really, really good and the RAW conversion options are extensive. My normal course of action is to take RAW or RAW+JPEG, then edit the RAW till I get a look I really want and save this as an extra JPEG (you can save as many as you want). Unless you need to seriously change the levels (which is the one area where I feel the camera engine struggles), you can get things pretty much taken care of in-camera.

If you're desperate for positive film, Samuel Streetlife sells a set of Lightroom/Photoshop presets which come quite close, they cost me $10 if I remember right so definitely not unreasonable.
I very much appreciate the info, Andrew. This is very helpful. The images I would take with say, Positive Film, shouldn't require unreasonable manipulation, if any at all, so going the in-camera route and comparing different approaches with multiple JEPGs might be a good solution. I'll check out Streetlife, too. Thanks again!

Back