Ricoh Surprise! Ricoh GRIIIx (Showcase)

Last night's delicious dinner at our favorite local brewery.

R0004335-01.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The graininess of this image may be largely attributed to importing the JPEG as "extra small" through the app, and then applying some Snapseed adjustments to lighting, but... I kind of like it.

Last night's delicious dinner at our favorite local brewery.

View attachment 281287

The graininess of this image may be largely attributed to importing the JPEG as "extra small" through the app, and then applying some Snapseed adjustments to lighting, but... I kind of like it.

Damn! Apart from being a nice photo, that looks outrageously taste and delicious...!
Quick question: What is the name of your favorite brewery? And (related question) is it in Bandon?
I'm asking because on one or two occasions (which unfortunately are rarer than they should be) I make it out to the coast (from my home base in Talent, between Ashland & Medford) - and finding a cool coastal brewpub with 'good eats' is worth filing away permanently.

Damn! Apart from being a nice photo, that looks outrageously taste and delicious...!
Quick question: What is the name of your favorite brewery? And (related question) is it in Bandon?
I'm asking because on one or two occasions (which unfortunately are rarer than they should be) I make it out to the coast (from my home base in Talent, between Ashland & Medford) - and finding a cool coastal brewpub with 'good eats' is worth filing away permanently.
7 Devils is my fave, and I recommend you look up their website, because you'll likely fall in love with their whole ethos, as I have. They source their ingredients from the community (the beef used in this meat loaf slab is actually raised by a rancher that I know well from my church), and they generate a lot of philanthropy for local causes - in the immediate wake of the Talent fire, in fact, they brought a school bus to the parking lot to take donations of food, clothing and necessities, and by the time we made it there it was already packed to the brim. The co-owner started out as a barista at a local Dutch Brothers. Their beer and food is absolutely top notch. They are in Coos Bay (there is a Bandon brewery but I'm less enthused about it, and the way the owner manages it, but that's another story).

7 Devils is my fave, and I recommend you look up their website, because you'll likely fall in love with their whole ethos, as I have. They source their ingredients from the community (the beef used in this meat loaf slab is actually raised by a rancher that I know well from my church), and they generate a lot of philanthropy for local causes - in the immediate wake of the Talent fire, in fact, they brought a school bus to the parking lot to take donations of food, clothing and necessities, and by the time we made it there it was already packed to the brim. The co-owner started out as a barista at a local Dutch Brothers. Their beer and food is absolutely top notch. They are in Coos Bay (there is a Bandon brewery but I'm less enthused about it, and the way the owner manages it, but that's another story).
Cool! Thank you so much, Andrew! Am definitely going to have to plan a trip to Coos Bay now, to check them out.
Addendum: I just checked the 7Devils Brewery website and they list two 'addresses' in Coos Bay: one for the 'Brewery and Taproom' (which apparently also serves food), on 2nd Street in C.B. - the other for their 'Waterfront Alehouse', on N. Bayshore (in the 'Coos Bay Village') which, apparently, has an 'all-new menu'. My question is: which do you prefer? (For food, as well as for brewskis?) Or, more to the point - at which of these two separate locations did you take your mouthwatering photo?

Cool! Thank you so much, Andrew! Am definitely going to have to plan a trip to Coos Bay now, to check them out.
Addendum: I just checked the 7Devils Brewery website and they list two 'addresses' in Coos Bay: one for the 'Brewery and Taproom' (which apparently also serves food), on 2nd Street in C.B. - the other for their 'Waterfront Alehouse', on N. Bayshore (in the 'Coos Bay Village') which, apparently, has an 'all-new menu'. My question is: which do you prefer? (For food, as well as for brewskis?) Or, more to the point - at which of these two separate locations did you take your mouthwatering photo?
I've been to both locations... but we've been going to the 2nd Street address for years and years, and that's where my heart is. It's smaller and more comfortable than the Waterfront Alehouse, which is more of a full-on restaurant. The excellent pub fare comes from the 2nd Street location - including pub pretzel, poutine, amazing mac and cheese, etc. However, the burgers at the Waterfront location are fantastic as well. And the views are lovely there.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, the fam and I were in Coos Bay/North Bend last summer for a trip up the coast. My wife's parents (now both deceased) were born and raised in North Bend and we wanted to visit their family homes and haunts with our kids. I have enjoyed craft beer for decades now but due to a development of NAFLD (TMI?), I've had to halt my consumption. Otherwise I would have paid a visit to 7 Devils (and Pelican, and de Garde, etc., as we made our way up the coast). Love the grain on the pic!

At the risk of hijacking the thread, the fam and I were in Coos Bay/North Bend last summer for a trip up the coast. My wife's parents (now both deceased) were born and raised in North Bend and we wanted to visit their family homes and haunts with our kids. I have enjoyed craft beer for decades now but due to a development of NAFLD (TMI?), I've had to halt my consumption. Otherwise I would have paid a visit to 7 Devils (and Pelican, and de Garde, etc., as we made our way up the coast). Love the grain on the pic!
I'm sorry about your condition! That's a real bummer, especially for the craft beer fan. All the best. I would like to go to Pelican, I've heard good things (and enjoy some, not all, of their beers).

It's only after spending more time editing on my main screen on my desktop that I've really noticed a bit of a quirk, or rather, a mistake on my part with some of the in-camera developing I've been doing. With the hi-contrast B&W mode, I had been turning down contrast and clarity a peg or two each to get a grungy, softer look, but it has been resulting in some ugly gradients around contrasty areas. I don't really see them on my work computer (low end LCD monitor) or my phone (OLED screen), but I sure saw them on my home monitor.

I did a test on a couple versions of the same file, pushing the black point and the shadows all the way up on the JPEGs. It makes it easier to see the gradient I mentioned, seen here in a crop:

R0004018~3.JPG

Notice it on the left side of the sofa and lampshade. Next is one with the same treatment, but normal contrast and clarity (middle values on both).

R0004373~3.JPG

Glad to see that that essentially gets rid of those gradients, pending more scrutiny on my desktop monitor. I'll have to be a bit more careful with these settings in that particular mode.

Y'know, I'm generally a cynical old sod. I don't believe in the existence of gods, monsters, honest politicians or in any headline that starts "experts predict" but I'm here to tell you that there IS a Santa and he works for Clifton Cameras in Dursley...
DSC_1619.JPG

...this rather splendid GT-2 arrived this morning. When I sober up in a few days I shall doubtless post some first impressions and the odd image or two.

So - the GT-2...

in the hand it is compact and not too heavy; solid enough to give an impression of quality. The front filter size is 62mm which makes it large but not unwieldy when mounted to the GRIIIx using the GA-2. The camera senses when the lens is mounted so there are no settings to change. There are no do's and don'ts in the leaflet in the box but if you try to set the lens to macro with the GT-2 mounted it objects strongly and shuts down. The lens is weighty enough to necessitate a 2-handed grip when in use - not a bad thing, I think.

In terms of output, I went to visit my old friend The Angel of Lens Testing today. As always, I stood in the same place, used the same settings (f2.8 throughout) and focussed on the face. Conditions were overcast.

These are the results:

First, a straight reference shot for comparison purposes - 40mm native, yielding a 13mb, 4000x6000 file.
40mm GRIIIx for reference 4000x6000 13mb.jpg

Next, the 71mm digital zoom setting. This is a 4.02mb 2240x3360 file
71mm GRIIIx digital zoom 2240x3360 4.02mb.jpg

This is the 40mm setting plus the GT-2. File now is 6.9mb, 3200x4800
40mm GRIIIx plus 1.5x GT-2 3200x4800 6.9mb.jpg

Finally, the 71mm digital zoom plus the GT-2. This is 3.57mb and 2240x3360
71mm GRIIIx digital zoom plus 1.5x GT-2 2240x3360 3.57mb.jpg

I shall leave you to draw your own conclusions from the images shown; for me the increase in bokeh between the digital and optical is noticeable and pleasant. At full stretch, with the digital and optical combined it is still impressive but I see a softness creeping in on the Angel's features. The GT-2 also appears to lose a little contrast, especially compared to the "bare" lens at 40mm.

Overall, it's a keeper. I'm seriously considering snagging a secondhand GW-4 now to go on my GRIII; I feel like I am back in GXR days, in a good way, with a much better body and a less - outre...? - lens system.

EDIT: Interesting to see what the forum software does with the lens EXIF; it doesn't recognise the digital zoom "focal length" but it does the physical GT-2

Back