Ricoh Surprise! Ricoh GRIIIx (Showcase)

I made a realization the other day: my initial struggles with snap focus on this model were just due to the longer hyperfocal distance. I was used to using 2-2.5m on the GR III and getting whatever I wanted in focus on the street at f8, even out to a distance, like the other side of the street. But at 2.5m I wasn't getting things in focus with the IIIx. I finally realized I wasn't framing as close as 2.5m anyway given the longer focal length, I needed some more distance to fit human subjects in, so why wasn't I using 5m as my snap distance? I guess it just sounds really long and far away... but it works perfectly for my working range on the street with the 40-equiv.

I made a realization the other day: my initial struggles with snap focus on this model were just due to the longer hyperfocal distance. I was used to using 2-2.5m on the GR III and getting whatever I wanted in focus on the street at f8, even out to a distance, like the other side of the street. But at 2.5m I wasn't getting things in focus with the IIIx. I finally realized I wasn't framing as close as 2.5m anyway given the longer focal length, I needed some more distance to fit human subjects in, so why wasn't I using 5m as my snap distance? I guess it just sounds really long and far away... but it works perfectly for my working range on the street with the 40-equiv.
This is an exceptionally good point. I'm changing my default setting as I type.

I've always been more of a stand back and let it be with a 28mm. The 40mm feels much more deliberate. And a little fascinating.
R0000040.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So - the GT-2...

in the hand it is compact and not too heavy; solid enough to give an impression of quality. The front filter size is 62mm which makes it large but not unwieldy when mounted to the GRIIIx using the GA-2. The camera senses when the lens is mounted so there are no settings to change. There are no do's and don'ts in the leaflet in the box but if you try to set the lens to macro with the GT-2 mounted it objects strongly and shuts down. The lens is weighty enough to necessitate a 2-handed grip when in use - not a bad thing, I think.

In terms of output, I went to visit my old friend The Angel of Lens Testing today. As always, I stood in the same place, used the same settings (f2.8 throughout) and focussed on the face. Conditions were overcast.

These are the results:

First, a straight reference shot for comparison purposes - 40mm native, yielding a 13mb, 4000x6000 file.
View attachment 283583

Next, the 71mm digital zoom setting. This is a 4.02mb 2240x3360 file
View attachment 283584

This is the 40mm setting plus the GT-2. File now is 6.9mb, 3200x4800
View attachment 283587

Finally, the 71mm digital zoom plus the GT-2. This is 3.57mb and 2240x3360
View attachment 283588

I shall leave you to draw your own conclusions from the images shown; for me the increase in bokeh between the digital and optical is noticeable and pleasant. At full stretch, with the digital and optical combined it is still impressive but I see a softness creeping in on the Angel's features. The GT-2 also appears to lose a little contrast, especially compared to the "bare" lens at 40mm.

Overall, it's a keeper. I'm seriously considering snagging a secondhand GW-4 now to go on my GRIII; I feel like I am back in GXR days, in a good way, with a much better body and a less - outre...? - lens system.

EDIT: Interesting to see what the forum software does with the lens EXIF; it doesn't recognise the digital zoom "focal length" but it does the physical GT-2
Thank you for the comparisons. I recently saw a short consumer review of the GT2 on B&H that stated a bit of electrical tape on the contacts of the lens interface allows the camera to shoot uncropped. If you are in the mood for an additional photo to your Angel collection above it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the comparisons. I recently saw a short consumer review of the GT2 on B&H that stated a bit of electrical tape on the contacts of the lens interface allows the camera to shoot uncropped. If you are in the mood for an additional photo to your Angel collection above it would be greatly appreciated.
So, I had a go today. It made not a blind bit of difference, I'm afraid:

With tape, 3572kb:

Without tape 1 JPEG.jpg

Without tape 3628kb:

With tape 1 JPEG.jpg

...the difference is so slight it could be accounted for by shifting my weight from one foot to the other and altering framing slightly (it was bloody cold)

By the way, for anyone curious about the backstory of the Angel of Lens Testing, you might find this as interesting as I did. This notice is a short distance from the memorial itself; I never noticed it before:

Angel of lens testing description.jpg

So, I had a go today. It made not a blind bit of difference, I'm afraid:

With tape, 3572kb:

View attachment 293589

Without tape 3628kb:

View attachment 293588

...the difference is so slight it could be accounted for by shifting my weight from one foot to the other and altering framing slightly (it was bloody cold)

By the way, for anyone curious about the backstory of the Angel of Lens Testing, you might find this as interesting as I did. This notice is a short distance from the memorial itself; I never noticed it before:

View attachment 293590
Thanks for checking it out. Good to know solid information we can count on.

The ultimate snapshot camera - part of what I like about the GR series is the possibilities inside the box behind the lens. And in spite of people who say you should have a consistent style, I have no problem using many different styles after a single outing. Why not?

R0004690.JPG

R0004704.JPG

R0004707.JPG

R0004708.JPG

R0004710.JPG

I've been using vivid mode a bit lately, and find it quite pleasing. Though, in the below file, I can't decide whether I prefer it over my old standby, positive film.

R0004679.JPG

R0004709.JPG

The ultimate snapshot camera - part of what I like about the GR series is the possibilities inside the box behind the lens. And in spite of people who say you should have a consistent style, I have no problem using many different styles after a single outing. Why not?

View attachment 296282

View attachment 296283

View attachment 296284

View attachment 296285

View attachment 296286

I've been using vivid mode a bit lately, and find it quite pleasing. Though, in the below file, I can't decide whether I prefer it over my old standby, positive film.

View attachment 296287

View attachment 296288
I’m sort of missing the in camera editing options from the GRII tbh, including the vignetting option.

I’m sort of missing the in camera editing options from the GRII tbh, including the vignetting option.
There's a vignette option in the III series... I do miss some of the GRII JPEG feeling, except for the way they fell apart anywhere north of ISO 800 or so. RAW IQ was still good, but you had to embrace the grain and use a RAW converter most of the time.

New special edition, which is basically the GR III street edition with a blue ring, from what I can tell. But the firmware enhancements look terrific - especially the 3.5m snap focus distance. That will be perfect for the longer lens, I've regularly felt the need for something in between the 2.5 and 5m settings. And a 9-point central AF pattern will be really useful. Both were things I felt like were missing for how I like to shoot, and it's like they read my mind. Coming to regular models, like the enhancements that debuted with the GR III street edition.

Nice additional info on the firmware updates coming to the IIIx (and, they confirm in the article, also the III).

The Snap Distance Priority sounds really nice to have, as there are three settings, with the largest DoF setting being "close to pan-focus" and the other two opening the aperture a little more so you can fine-tune the amount of in-focus area you will have without having to do any mental gymnastics. Sounds like this firmware is specifically addressing street photography with most of the improvements, very cool to see the continuing attention to detail with the new 40mm version. The GR series is in such good hands.

The firmware update is here, and it's a good one.

I got my firmware updated today, and tried to go out after work for a quick circuit of old town looking for any street subjects to use the new features on. It was pretty deserted, turns out, so my only shot was rather pathetic. But it tells me what I wanted to know: shooting with comfortable framing with this lens, the 3.5m snap focus distance provides very adequate sharpness at f8.

R0004873_001.JPG

And a crop:
R0004874.JPG

This, I think, is what I was waiting for in order to really use this for street photography. If I go completely crazy I may even spring for the 40mm optical viewfinder at some point.

Back