Ricoh Surprise! Ricoh GRIIIx (Showcase)

A used Fujifilm XM1 with the 27mm pancake is also a small APS-C camera package with a sharp lens. (I used to have one.) Or there's the Canon M200 with the 22mm lens. Dual-pixel auto focus and lively Canon colors. I used to have one of those too. I prefer the M6 which gives you the option of a click-on EVF.

I initially ordered from Ricoh themselves then they cancelled the order a couple of hours later; I checked with my credit card issuer and it was "something at Ricoh's end". They could not explain it - and neither could Ricoh. Shrugging, I placed a new order with a dealer; the main difference is that Ricoh wanted my money immediately, but the dealer will only debit my card when they ship. Win-win, and something to look out for when placing your own orders.

Sean Tucker, who is one of my favorite photography voices online, has a video up on this camera now:
Nice video from Sean Tucker. As usual, he talks more about photography than gear, which is why I watch him. He got an early GRIIIx and talked about how this will be integrated into his photography. He's evidently a heavy user of the GRIII and was really happy when this appeared. (He also sets off a tempest in a teapot when he uses the term "muddy" in reference to Fuji. 🤓 ). I enjoy spec talk, but it was much more interesting to hear him talk about how he will use the camera.

I'm starting to hear the voices . . .

I saw that Ricoh USA recently updated their website to announce the GRIIIx. No exact date given for release - just "early October." Not sure if that's a pre-order release or the actual camera. Either way, I am looking forward to picking one up. I'm still waiting on a Nikon Zfc with 28mm lens that I pre-ordered on June 29! Now to pack up the X100f to help fund the purchase!

Based on my experience with the III, I’d recommend you all preorder it from a camera store and have it in your hand first before taking it home. Make sure those buttons are on correctly. Lots of us were so excited to get the III we were prepared to overlook the rear dial issue, including me. It didn’t affect image quality and the issue was later corrected but looking back I shouldn’t have accepted that. Just hoping Ricoh won’t rush this out too quickly.

Based on my experience with the III, I’d recommend you all preorder it from a camera store and have it in your hand first before taking it home. Make sure those buttons are on correctly. Lots of us were so excited to get the III we were prepared to overlook the rear dial issue, including me. It didn’t affect image quality and the issue was later corrected but looking back I shouldn’t have accepted that. Just hoping Ricoh won’t rush this out too quickly.
Couldn't you effectively do this with B&H, Adorama, etc., as well? It may cost a lot in postage, but . . .

I did a pre-order with Amazon Japan on 9/18 and received a shipping notice yesterday. The GR IIIx cleared customs and left Tokyo this AM on the way to central NY. Should arrive via DHL on Thursday. Meanwhile, I'm happily shooting with the GR III.

I've had no problems previously ordering products directly from Amazon Japan, but I will let you know when the GR IIIx shows up at my doorstep. Last order I received was for an Olympus E-P7 and that only took 3 days shipping from Osaka. This order transit time seems to be a bit longer. Still showing stock and delivery availability to USA.

I love this bit...
DSC_1466.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Humble? Moi? :LOL:

Here's my first observation - the trim ring is NOT the same as the GRIII; it is significantly deeper. The third party, multicoloured alternatives you can buy from Amazon and others do NOT fit.

Humble? Moi? :LOL:

Here's my first observation - the trim ring is NOT the same as the GRIII; it is significantly deeper. The third party, multicoloured alternatives you can buy from Amazon and others do NOT fit.
That's what I surmised from photos. How's it feel for lock strength? Same hold as the III, or any tighter? Never had a whole lot of sympathy for people who panned the camera design because of lost rings, that was overreacting, but it could certainly be a bit tighter than the GRIII.

Back