Ricoh Surprise! Ricoh GRIIIx (Showcase)

A few from today:
w-R0000131-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

w-R0000130-2.jpg

w-R0000121-Pano.jpg

w-R0000129-2.jpg

Quick & dirty (I mean that literally, there are crumbs from my biscuit on the table) comparison of the focal lengths of my 20mm f1.7 on the EM5ii and the GRIIIx. As you might expect, pretty much identical (with the EM5ii in 3:2 aspect).
I see Ricoh a little wider but as you said 3:2 is wider than 4:3 aspect ratio....

On the GRIII, I used the Clarity setting often in JPEG rendering and found it very useful. My standard for Positive Film mode is +3. On the GRIIIx I've noticed that Clarity seems a bit more overt, and realized that the lens has so much microcontrast that its effect is a lot more pronounced. I'll have to do some more comparisons to be sure. But it's a good sign.

An example of the in-camera processing using the preset parameters I was used to using within the Positive Film profile on the GRIII, versus the defaults with Positive Film. First up is the GRIII setting, which includes -1 saturation and +3 clarity, among some other tweaks.

R0002931.JPG

And now the defaults, normal clarity and saturation with everything else set to default.

R0002932.JPG

I notice the clarity setting much more with the GRIIIx lens for whatever reason, I think I'm going to use it less. The default version has very nice, gentle feeling gradations. I might or might not go back to -1 saturation, but let's just say the GRIIIx lens has a lot of microcontrast.

So, my GA-2 arrived today. This is the lens adaptor dedicated to the GRIIIx.

At first glance, it is identical. However, there are some key differences. As you can see from the photo it is slightly deeper. The rear cap with which it comes is NOT compatible with that of the GA-1 so they are not interchangeable. The caps look externally similar but there are differences in the moulding and the plastic is a shade lighter in colour on the new cap, which I think shows in the photo.

They share the same threaded front, which takes filters, the appropriate converter lenses and a 49mm lens cap. I have for some time used my GA-1 when not on the camera as a container for a spare battery and SD card and a lens cleaning cloth and will do the same with the GA-2.

Weight is too similar to discern a difference in the hand BUT the plastic that the GA-2 is made from feels disappointingly thin. There is some flex in the adaptor if you squeeze it between thumb and forefinger that does not occur on the GA-1.

I use the adaptors less to mount lenses and filters but more to give a good two-handed grip with my left hand underneath as if it is a lens, and to protect the lens assembly itself from knocks in busy and crowded situations. I'm sure the GA-2 will do the same job but I have cheap generic lens hoods that seem made from sterner stuff. Cutting corners, Ricoh?

R0000090.JPG

The first shot is of my Leica M6 Pillow. This little camera definitely has promise.
Edit: I opened this up tonight and saw "X-T30" bold as brass in the EXIF data. :redface: I did take a shot with both that and the GR but must have gotten the shots confused. I will repost the same shot taken with the GR when I get access to my HD in my office. TGIF

Last edited:
It will grow on you.

Bigly...
I bet it will. I can see why people like it. It's a clean control layout, menus are not overly complicated, the touchscreen is very good, and the shutter release is easy to squeeze so you don't shake the camera. I really want to play with the in-camera raw conversion. For Fuji, it's important because their RAW converter is the among the best for X-Trans. I've just read that many like the in-camera conversions of the GR. Of course, it does fit nicely in the pocket. My only problem before was that 28 mme is a bit too wide for me as a single dedicated FL. The 40 is perfect.

You'll notice that I made a point of that. :whistle: Actually, I have noted that since the LCD screen is fixed and the camera is small, I can easily change the FP with either thumb. That just seems natural for me, even though I don't do it that way on any other camera..
Same, I usually turn the touchscreen off (at least for selecting focus and shooting, I like that Panasonic lets me use the menus with the touchscreen while having the other functions turned off), but I always have the GRIII(s) touchscreen set to focus and shoot. It's a nice useful function for when I'm using snap focus too, as it overrides the preset focus with AF. You can also set the screen tap to trigger snap focus instead, while using the shutter button for AF.

Back