Ricoh Surprise! Ricoh GRIIIx (Showcase)

A Thanksgiving morning walk around Seattle.

R0003922.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

R0003921.JPG

R0003941.JPG

R0003926.JPG

R0003925.JPG

R0003931.JPG

R0003930.JPG

R0003928.JPG

R0003927.JPG

Well, now I can quote the thread title "Surprise! Ricoh GRIIIx" :D

A local camera store currently has a "15% off on used gear" sale (which nicely makes up for the 12% sales tax around here) - and a used GRIIIx popped up today...
Couldn't resist ordering - at roughly 750USD total - since I had my eye on this one anyway :)

A local camera store currently has a "15% off on used gear" sale (which nicely makes up for the 12% sales tax around here) - and a used GRIIIx popped up today...
Couldn't resist ordering - at roughly 750USD total - since I had my eye on this one anyway :)
Now that's a ridiculous deal! Basically 25% off, I'm jealous! Except I'm not, I'm happy for the company ;)

Good spot and congratulations! 😎

I can't help but wonder about the circumstances though? That's a very fast turnaround, and someone has taken a bath on the new price, selling on so quickly. Do you know anything of the history?

Good spot and congratulations! 😎

I can't help but wonder about the circumstances though? That's a very fast turnaround, and someone has taken a bath on the new price, selling on so quickly. Do you know anything of the history?
Not really. I simply hope that some early adopter picked one up and didn’t take to the kind of camera. (I saw a used one pop up at B&H about a month ago)

It was labelled as “excellent condition” - the camera being so new it would have to be. :)
I have a 14 day return window and a 60 day warranty with it. I simply have to take a really good look at it within the first 14 days.

Real bargains like that are pretty rare up here (usually things are much more expensive compared to the US), so I couldn’t resist the possibility of getting one :)

Last edited:
Ah, maybe I won’t have to “worry” about any of this. :/
Clicked on “order” last night and just got an email from their main store:
“This camera is currently in transit to one of our branches for a customer. We won’t know until early next week whether or not they are taking this.”

I’ll wait and see whether the customer takes it… Buys me a few more days to think over my (attempted) impulse buy… :)

There are literally too many photos in your posts here for me to start gushing about all of them, Andrew - but I have to say, you are getting some seriously fine results with your GRiiix. It clearly is a camera - and a focal length - which 'bonds' well with your photographer's eye - and though I thought in general that your work with its wider-angled sibling, the GRiii, kept bordering on the superb, your GRiiix images, so far, are even more compelling.

I think it was a wise purchase on your part.

There are literally too many photos in your posts here for me to start gushing about all of them, Andrew - but I have to say, you are getting some seriously fine results with your GRiiix. It clearly is a camera - and a focal length - which 'bonds' well with your photographer's eye - and though I thought in general that your work with its wider-angled sibling, the GRiii, kept bordering on the superb, your GRiiix images, so far, are even more compelling.

I think it was a wise purchase on your part.
Geez, Miguel, thanks for those words, all I can say is the GR cameras more than almost any other camera I've ever used make me want to "find" something - not quite sure what it is yet, but I really like that about them. The 40mm has been both challenging and familiar, I am both trained (via the venerable Panasonic 20/1.7) and untrained (being muscle-memory-bonded to the GR form factor as a 28mm) at the same time. It's a bit surreal at times, actually!

Geez, Miguel, thanks for those words, all I can say is the GR cameras more than almost any other camera I've ever used make me want to "find" something - not quite sure what it is yet, but I really like that about them. The 40mm has been both challenging and familiar, I am both trained (via the venerable Panasonic 20/1.7) and untrained (being muscle-memory-bonded to the GR form factor as a 28mm) at the same time. It's a bit surreal at times, actually!
I think that's one of the biggest values of cameras like the Ricoh GR's (or the Sigma DP's) ... you can have them always with you - and they make you "want" to find photos (without any disappointment if you don't... There's never any "I lugged all this equipment around for nothing" thoughts :D )

For me it was the original DPs that kick-started that. It's great to stay "in training" - give your eyes and brain your daily photographic work-out :)
(For some people a phone camera can serve that purpose - for me it never did... I almost catch myself "oh - right! I do have a camera on my phone that I could have used" :D )

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the DOF metrics of the GR-X is fairly similar to what would be on X100 according to Online Depth of Field Calculator.

Just sold another piece of my kit that will get me closer to getting the GR-X or maybe I should call it the GR40.

Back