Birds Swans

Well, I tried the advice you guys gave me and I think I had some success....Let me know what you think.
View attachment 437913
Nice shots, Chuck.

With all white subjects, you will mostly need to meter off the whites to preserve them.

Experiment with all the metering modes on your camera to see how they effect the resulting images.

As Taylor Swift says "Shake it off, Shake it off!" :) ;)

EM Mute Swan 8 12-26.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Well done @Cmilledge3
The images look really good. As John said look out for the camera metering, if the subject is 33% or larger in the frame you. An use centre weighted metering but if it's smaller spot metering works better. Luckily OM-1 will give you a circle around the centre where you can judge how well the subject fits in the metering.
Centre metering gives you a good balance on exposure for the subject and a bit of the surrounding environment. With spot metering be careful th sacrifice you make for your environment because it will darken the exposure to the point that it may not be recoverable on a very bright subject (like the swans above), also called Low Key (where the image is predominantly black or shadows. If your subject is very dark (like a Blackbird, a Moorehen Duck or a Raven for example) the spot metering will overexpose any bright surroundings to bring the dark subject to a lighter shade, this is called High Key (where the image is mostly white or bright colours and only a very small portion of the image is darker).
The intention of metering so specifically is to preserve colour and details where you want them the most (for birds is feathers and features, like colour of the eyes or patterns on the feathers).
But be careful when you do decided to use spot metering because if you are in a very contrasting environment (shifting lights) and contrary subject (opposite values of light between the environment and the subject) you will have to sacrifice the environment for the subject and the difference between the shadows and the highlights is so great that 99% of the time the shadows or the highlights are not recoverable and you will have to stick with the original intent.

Well done @Cmilledge3
The images look really good. As John said look out for the camera metering, if the subject is 33% or larger in the frame you. An use centre weighted metering but if it's smaller spot metering works better. Luckily OM-1 will give you a circle around the centre where you can judge how well the subject fits in the metering.
Centre metering gives you a good balance on exposure for the subject and a bit of the surrounding environment. With spot metering be careful th sacrifice you make for your environment because it will darken the exposure to the point that it may not be recoverable on a very bright subject (like the swans above), also called Low Key (where the image is predominantly black or shadows. If your subject is very dark (like a Blackbird, a Moorehen Duck or a Raven for example) the spot metering will overexpose any bright surroundings to bring the dark subject to a lighter shade, this is called High Key (where the image is mostly white or bright colours and only a very small portion of the image is darker).
The intention of metering so specifically is to preserve colour and details where you want them the most (for birds is feathers and features, like colour of the eyes or patterns on the feathers).
But be careful when you do decided to use spot metering because if you are in a very contrasting environment (shifting lights) and contrary subject (opposite values of light between the environment and the subject) you will have to sacrifice the environment for the subject and the difference between the shadows and the highlights is so great that 99% of the time the shadows or the highlights are not recoverable and you will have to stick with the original intent.
Thank you so much. This gives me some more to work on on my next hike. I'll post back so you can see the result.

Their coloration is amazing. Reminds me of marshmallows floating in hot cocoa! Beautiful picture! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you, cygnets have very beautiful mix of brown and white that they will very slowly fade into pure white as they grow into adulthood. They look like a nice and lovely cup of hot chocolate with cream to me.

1000015043.jpg

Looks like the neighbours have move in :p

1000015024.jpg

They've made a new nest after last year's nest was destroyed by a buildozer to over the duck neighborhood.

1000015037.jpg

Well, it's still a work in progress according to them. Both of them were chomping along here and there, getting everything right for the new (future) little ones.

1000015049.jpg

They still seem to care for each other. Last year they had one Signet survive and I think it was transferred to a different water body sometime in the winter. I can't wait to see the little Signets ... And luckily they live 5 minutes from my place and it's easily accessible even down to the water level (though I need to get the tripod wet for that).

1000015412.jpg

On our evening doggy walk, checked out how the Swan couple are doing.

1000015419.jpg

This is the male, doing patrol duty for the night shift I assume.

1000015411.jpg

The misses was sleeping on her nest (on the right side). I was trying to get a shot of the swan flowing behind the grasses in the water but I got down to late and he was already waving Bye Bye.

Back