Micro 4/3 SwitchLens, Olympus Air redux?

rloewy

Hall of Famer
Have not seen a thread about this, sorry if I missed it.

I own an Olympus Air A01 and recently started using it again after a couple of years in hibernation.

I have to admit that I am intrigued, I think the form of the Olympus was better, I like the replaceable rechargeable batteries in the SwitchLens (The Air did not have replaceable battery) but I am not sure that these batteries will give you a long enough runtime. I also like the focus peaking, not sure if the basic version gives you auto-focus...

To spend the money on this or not? That is the question.

Intriguing.

I still use my Olympus Air after all these years...
Well, then you should probably keep using the Air as long as the software works. That might be the deciding factor. I figure if you already have a compact camera with a rear display or an EVF, you already have mostly what the Alice or Switchlens could give you.

Well, then you should probably keep using the Air as long as the software works. That might be the deciding factor. I figure if you already have a compact camera with a rear display or an EVF, you already have mostly what the Alice or Switchlens could give you.
The air software is very limited and the battery can not be replaced.

I did take it out yesterday, but since it's wifi hotspot is iffy, I found that it is better if I use a dedicated phone for it that has no sim card and knows no other wifi network.

Over the last year I have used an old pixel 4xl for it, that was a great phone whenever it came out, but they were known to have swelling batteries. Mine, after many years of service failed yesterday when using it with the air, could not restart it, took it out of the case and lo and behold, swelling battery...

So, I need to find another old phone to replace it as the dedicated air "remote".

I hope the switch lens will have better wifi, it will have removable batteries and the addition of focus peaking will make it usable with manual lenses...

Here is a photo of that bad boy...

53839260652_d249015040_b.jpg

Replacing the battery in cell phone is pretty easy especially if so swollen the case pops apart like yours ( opening the sealed phone case is usually the hard part).

Here's a link for cheap battery replacement and you can find guides for procedure on Google:

The usual cautions about handling LIO batteries apply and especially not piercing the "spicy" swollen batteries to prevent catastrophic outcomes.

Last edited:
Replacing the battery in cell phone is pretty easy especially if so swollen the case pops apart like yours ( opening the sealed phone case is usually the hard part).

Here's a link for cheap battery replacement and you can find guides for procedure on Google:

The usual cautions about handling LIO batteries apply and especially not piercing the "spicy" swollen batteries to prevent catastrophic outcomes.

Thanks, not going to bother with that. I have access to other old phones from work to use as a "remote" for the air. I had an old Pixel 3 that I used yesterday, it worked fine, just a bit overwhelmed with the wifi. I am sure work will have some test phones that are newer I can use, as we change test phones regularly to ensure our software works on the latest and greatest.

Well, then you should probably keep using the Air as long as the software works.

I don't use the Air with its software. I hate the phone interface.

I use it with a super-wide or fisheye as an inconspicuous "grab shot" lens, without viewfinder or phone.

You don't need their silly software to download photos.
P6190108.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back