Tabs, pads and/or alternative means of datapower in the field. (Crosspost from Mu43)

JensM

All-Pro
Trying my luck with this one here as well as on the Mu43 forum, where the tread has gone unanswered. I am not very tech savy and I really dont know which questions to ask, but I do have a general idea about what I would like such a set-up to do.

"Pondering stuff as I am somewhat inclined to, and reading about some fellows doing all their post works on tabs or pads, I am somewhat intrigued about the possibilities so hence-fort a tread to that matter.

Currently, even on multiday trips, I just bring the camera gear, no processing or means to, other than the phone and that is very seldom used other than for a quick snap with the phones camera.

Having pondered things a bit, I am somewhat hooked on the idea about a field worthy tab/pad for misc work whilst out and about, and stumbled over the Samsung Active3 Tab which I like the ruggedness of, and that ruggedness seems to be its main selling point as well, which for all intended purposes suits me fine, I think.

Photograpy-wise, I would like it to be able to do easy transfers from SD cards onto hard-drives by cable and I prefer not to work on/in the cloud and with the possibility to run Snapseed and LR CC for some, but not intensive editing. I am not tied to the Active3 tab, but I am not inclined towards a office-ready high-end large tab either, but android and field worthy is must haves, as is a somewhat smaller form factor, ideally it should be somewhat pocket fittable.

I have extremely limited knowledge and user experience with tabs, other than netflix on a ipad whilst bedridden with a slipped disc, so any pointers/insights et al, both on the Active3 or alternatives, as well as general feasibility insights on the idea would be highly appreciated."

LR CC is built for this situation. While on the road, you can manage anf edit using the tablet app and then once you are home, the tablet can upload to the cloud and then your home computer can take it from there. Depending on how many photos you take, there will be some latency as things shuffle around the cloud, but otherwise it's pretty seamless.

Regarding getting photos from your camera to the tablet without wifi, you may need to experiment. The USB port on the tablet may need a specific OTG (On The Go) dongle that let's you attach storage devices (like card readers) and whatnot to it. I've had mixed luck with this - the cheap USB-C OTG dongles I recently bought don't seem to work but I'm not sure if it's the phone or the dongle. Ironically, wireless may be more dependable in this situation.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Instead of using a USB reader, does your preferred kit vendor offer something like Canon's "Camera Connect" app? That way you could read the files directly from your camera on you Android tablet using Bluetooth. Using the app with Wi-Fi would, of course, be faster, but for an 'offline' solution the bluetooth connection from mobile device to camera should be achievable.

(If you're interested in that route, let me know and I can do some experimenting with my Samsung tablets and my 77D if you've got something specific in mind).

Back