Take pics at someone's wedding, unasked?

They haven't seen the professional's pics yet, but they were very flattering about what I sent them. That felt really good.

I forgot that we have two sets of wedding photos. One is the professional set, which was my wive's aunt. She did all the before the wedding shots and the "official" poses during the wedding. We were lucky and she offered to do them for just the cost of the printing. :D Then we had a friend who just took some shots of some scenes that the official photographer missed or just different angles of the official ones.

One is the professional set, which was my wive's aunt. She did all the before the wedding shots and the "official" poses during the wedding. We were lucky and she offered to do them for just the cost of the printing. :D
I am happy for you, and nice of her aunt to do but this just made my point.

The last wedding that I went to- took the Df with a couple of lenses and took lots of pictures. The bride was a coworker and friend of my wife. I asked the couple about taking pictures before the wedding. They were quite happy to have the pictures, and I had fun taking them. They put their money into the reception, and asked a friend to shoot pictures for them. I think the friend was relieved to have a backup.

These days- professional wedding photographers are expensive. Some people do it on the side, not as expensive- but still costly. So a lot of people ask for friends and guests to shoot the wedding pictures, give them copies. If you like shooting pictures of people, weddings can be a lot of fun. I never charge, when shooting film- always gave the pictures with negatives as the wedding present. With digital, burning to disk is cheap, so I give a wedding present as well.

The last wedding that I went to- took the Df with a couple of lenses and took lots of pictures. The bride was a coworker and friend of my wife. I asked the couple about taking pictures before the wedding. They were quite happy to have the pictures, and I had fun taking them. They put their money into the reception, and asked a friend to shoot pictures for them. I think the friend was relieved to have a backup.

These days- professional wedding photographers are expensive. Some people do it on the side, not as expensive- but still costly. So a lot of people ask for friends and guests to shoot the wedding pictures, give them copies. If you like shooting pictures of people, weddings can be a lot of fun. I never charge, when shooting film- always gave the pictures with negatives as the wedding present. With digital, burning to disk is cheap, so I give a wedding present as well.
Just curious what do you do to make a living? Just too make a point, It does not really matter but for the sake of argument, let's say you are a plumber or a stock broker or a software designer. All profession where one could say they that are expensive, and everybody has a friend who is willing to do that work for a beer and a sandwich because they don't really make their living at those jobs. Then it comes to you and your boss says we do not need you any more because, everybody has a friend that can do your job for a simple lunch.

Last edited:
How much do you charge to shoot a wedding?

When someone quotes $8,000 to shoot a wedding- a lot of couples cannot afford it. When they can ask the guests to all "click in" and save $8,000 that they cannot afford- they will. If someone is shooting weddings on the side for a few hundred $, many people will opt for it. Somewhere in between? J.C. Penney's used to offer wedding packages with photographers that needed to get experience? I remember one wedding that my pictures were the only ones usable as the paid photographers misloaded their cameras and ruined all of the photographs. In my 20's, when lots of friends were getting married and on a budget, I shot a lot of weddings. Never charged for it.

I'm an engineer- over 35 years experience, glad I did not become a photographer. I had some friends that did, got out of it. Not a profession that I would recommend to a young person.

Last edited:
"Uncle Bob jumping in the isle to grab a shot" reminds me of my first underwater photography course (still using film) when suddenly there were dolphins all around us. As I was just beginning and did not know at all yet about underwater shooting technique, I gave my camera to the course leader (who did not have one with him). Every time when he had a great shot opportunity, one particular person crossed in front of him chasing the dolphins and ruining the shot. If I am correct, his name was Bob. So you made me aware of what to be aware of.

I get more and more like Bob Damico lately. When I went to an event last night for folks who've paid me in the past, I had my camera in my bike bag, but didn't take it out. When they gave a few awards during a presentation, everyone gathered together in the dark, dark bar, and people took out cellphones to snap their pictures. My wife looked at me, almost like "....well? Aren't you going to help?" and I didn't. If they had wanted event photos, they would've asked me, I think. I guess it felt important to make sure they still see a difference between crowd sourced iphone snaps and someone with something decent & some skill. They're great people, they're a non-profit, and I like to help them. But I think the picture aspect might need to be for SOME money. I donno.

Friends at a wedding, I'm either going to snap 10-15 shots (like above) just for my own fun, or they're going to hire me and I'm going to HUSTLE. There's a big difference... I'm not displacing the guy who's delivering 300+ shots and formals.

Just curious what do you do to make a living? Just too make a point, It does not really matter but for the sake of argument, let's say you are a plumber or a stock broker or a software designer. All profession where one could say they that are expensive, and everybody has a friend who is willing to do that work for a beer and a sandwich because they don't really make their living at those jobs. Then it comes to you and your boss says we do not need you any more because, everybody has a friend that can do your job for a simple lunch.

If people only value what you to do to the point that "amateurs" who are willing to provide free pics are a better option you really shouldn't blame the amateurs. Expecting photography to be a protected profession really doesn't make a lot of sense. If photographers can't offer enough differentiation to justify the expense they need to look for a new career. That is not me trying to be a jerk, but just the reality of the world we live in.

I really doubt that many plumbers are worried about being displaced by a "guy with some nice wrenches".

I've thought for a long time that if I were to photograph a wedding, or hire someone to photograph a wedding, that I would get at least two people on the job - one to concentrate on formal portraits/poses, and the other for candids or casuals only.

My cousin had a friend do their wedding and only got a few good shots . There is a big difference between the ones who do this regularly and ones like me who just have fun.

How much do you charge to shoot a wedding?

When someone quotes $8,000 to shoot a wedding- a lot of couples cannot afford it. When they can ask the guests to all "click in" and save $8,000 that they cannot afford- they will. If someone is shooting weddings on the side for a few hundred $, many people will opt for it. Somewhere in between? J.C. Penney's used to offer wedding packages with photographers that needed to get experience? I remember one wedding that my pictures were the only ones usable as the paid photographers misloaded their cameras and ruined all of the photographs. In my 20's, when lots of friends were getting married and on a budget, I shot a lot of weddings. Never charged for it.

I'm an engineer- over 35 years experience, glad I did not become a photographer. I had some friends that did, got out of it. Not a profession that I would recommend to a young person.

Young coupes cannot afford the photographer, but they bought the rings, the food, rented the venue, bought the dress, the limos, the rehearsal dinner, rented the tuxes, hired the band, the flowers and caterer, etc. Honestly for me most all of the expenses of a wedding are miss use of the money a young couples really needs to start a life together. I just find it interesting the way people apply a double standard to the photographer both in fee and skill.

I have been a professional photographer for some 40 years, never shot a wedding, and continue to make a very well paid living. There are a lot of other avenues in this profession. But I will admit I do not recommend it as a career unless some is really committed, it takes a lot of work to establish and maintain a career.
I just find it interesting that one does not see that XYZ engineering firm realizes that it can cut it's costs by importing workers or by relocating the jobs overseas as a similar concept and idea.
If people only value what you to do to the point that "amateurs" who are willing to provide free pics are a better option you really shouldn't blame the amateurs. Expecting photography to be a protected profession really doesn't make a lot of sense. If photographers can't offer enough differentiation to justify the expense they need to look for a new career. That is not me trying to be a jerk, but just the reality of the world we live in.

I really doubt that many plumbers are worried about being displaced by a "guy with some nice wrenches".

It is not about the protection of any job, just show a little respect to some one trying to make a living, everyone seems to find things could be done or bought cheaper and with more skill until it applies to themselves.

Young coupes cannot afford the photographer, but they bought the rings, the food, rented the venue, bought the dress, the limos, the rehearsal dinner, rented the tuxes, hired the band, the flowers and caterer, etc. Honestly for me most all of the expenses of a wedding are miss use of the money a young couples really needs to start a life together. I just find it interesting the way people apply a double standard to the photographer both in fee and skill.

I have been a professional photographer for some 40 years, never shot a wedding, and continue to make a very well paid living. There are a lot of other avenues in this profession. But I will admit I do not recommend it as a career unless some is really committed, it takes a lot of work to establish and maintain a career.
I just find it interesting that one does not see that XYZ engineering firm realizes that it can cut it's costs by importing workers or by relocating the jobs overseas as a similar concept and idea.

It is not about the protection of any job, just show a little respect to some one trying to make a living, everyone seems to find things could be done or bought cheaper and with more skill until it applies to themselves.

Weddings themselves are way over budgeted for the vast majority of young couples.

In our case, 11 years ago, we had a budget of something like $10k. We talked about it, and our priorities were, in this order:

1. Kickass live band (No DJ, period)
2. Kickass photographer
3. Central downtown location and transport provided so guests didn't have to drive

And that's it. She got a used dress, I rented a cheap tux, we found a brand new restaurant with a killer location who was desperate to establish itself. We got permission from the Parks Department to hold the wedding outdoors on a jetty on the lake. The band and the photog were 2/3 of the cost.

Fast forward 11 years: We have fantastic photos - several hundred of them, all amazing documents for us of people as they were, some of whom are dead now. We have PRINTS. And the singer of the band is still a friend. We did it right.

In our case, 11 years ago, we had a budget of something like $10k. We talked about it, and our priorities were, in this order:

1. Kickass live band (No DJ, period)
2. Kickass photographer
3. Central downtown location and transport provided so guests didn't have to drive

And that's it. She got a used dress, I rented a cheap tux, we found a brand new restaurant with a killer location who was desperate to establish itself. We got permission from the Parks Department to hold the wedding outdoors on a jetty on the lake. The band and the photog were 2/3 of the cost.

Fast forward 11 years: We have fantastic photos - several hundred of them, all amazing documents for us of people as they were, some of whom are dead now. We have PRINTS. And the singer of the band is still a friend. We did it right.

Its good to have a budget, stick to it, and have some great memories.

I shoot mainly Bar and Bat Mitzvahs. This year I think half of my clients were "we went cheap last time, not this time..."

Young coupes cannot afford the photographer, but they bought the rings, the food, rented the venue, bought the dress, the limos, the rehearsal dinner, rented the tuxes, hired the band, the flowers and caterer, etc. Honestly for me most all of the expenses of a wedding are miss use of the money a young couples really needs to start a life together. I just find it interesting the way people apply a double standard to the photographer both in fee and skill......

One of the last weddings I did (when still did a good number of them) I had a bride try and get another $100 on my price. Found out she had a $2k dress and shoe set. :doh:

Back