Fuji Taking advantage of X100 deals: stories and images

Lawrence A.

Hall of Famer
Name
Larry
Hi. My new, "hardly used" (that's what the listing said) Fuji X100 is boxed, sealed, insured, and on the way from Brownsville TX! Heck, that's just next door; it should be here in no time! (he tells himself anxiously) It's got a serial # starting 21A0xxx..., so I'm hoping to be reasonably safe from sticky shutter issues, nonetheless the seller said he'd send me the receipt, and I may well buy a shutterbug warranty. We'll see.

With the exception of the E-300, the E-P1, the D-Lux 4, and the OM-D, most of my camera purchases have been the second to last model, so I'm right on track. My first 35mm SLRs -- OM's -- were bought used at Ferranti-Dege in Harvard Square, now closed, alas!

Anyone else jumping in and taking advantage of the lowered prices on the X100, please jump in. I'm thrilled to be getting it. I pondered a long while about waiting until I could afford a used (of course) Leica X1, since they say the lens is sharper, especially at the corners wide open. But finally I decided that 1.) I did not want to wait for a fixed lens 35mm EFL, 2.) the functionally of the Leica was way behind the Fuji and would require the purchase of an optical viewfinder (if I did not want to put the weighty, FSU turret finder I already have on it, 3.) The Fuji lens was plenty good and in situations where I'd be shooting wide open the corners were unlikely to matter much and 4.) the images I've seen from it are just wonderful. I'm also impressed by Fuji's successive firmware updates to problems or "issues", seriously improving the camera through software thoughout its life.

The hybrid finder played a big part in my decision; it just seems to be everything I want in a finder. Having the optical immediacy plus the shooting information available is simply brilliant. There also seems to be enough space around the actual image area in either mode that glasses wearers will have it easy.

I'll undoubtedly bore you with some "first shots" when it arrives. Meantime, please share your "got an X100 now they're a bargain" stories and pictures."

Just yesterday, I ditched my X20 order for a refurbished unit on Amazon. As a warehouse deal, it was eligible for a 30 day money back guarantee and aftermarket warranty. I received it today and am loving it so far. Missing the zoom is my big question. I love the feel and IQ of the X100 so much that I think I can bear using my feet to zoom.

I wondered about the same thing, and thought about waiting for the X20, but much as I loved my X10 the viewfinder on the x100 and the fixed 35mm kept calling me. I'd thought about a Leica X1, like I said, for forever. I think I"ll do just fine with the 35 mm EFL. I often leave the house, traveling light, with just the tiny Olympus XA film rangefinder with its 35mm lens, and I've gotten some of the best shots I've recently taken from it. (It's also just a blast to use!) And I've been using mostly primes for some time now.

I really can't wait to use that viewfinder thought. Monday delivery is what USPS tracking says!

I am tempted to get a X100 instead a X20. The IQ is way better... but I am afraid I would miss the zoom :(

Prices of the X100 have settled in the UK at around the £550.00 mark so a great price for an all in one kit, especially when compared to many compacts that are close to that price, have a smaller sensor. If you can live with a fixed lens it is a great deal for a small, solid, tactile and fun camera .

I suspect once the X100s has been available for a few months, we will see a further reduction in X100 prices but I suspect not below the £500.00 price mark.

thanks Ian. Your shots with the X100 helped push me in that direction; they are just beautiful. I don't do a lot of landscape, but yours do show what the camera can do in capable hands.

How is your slow start problem going?

I was shopping for a used X100 but got kind of frustrated. Seemed most every camera was listed with no shot of the bottom (serial #) and sellers who acted like they knew nothing about the potential for SAB issue. And most all of those cameras turned out to be from the potentially problematic range. My trust meter was not moving much...

I think I'll revisit it after the new Xs have had a few months to breathe. I'll either decide then to upgrade from my X10 to the 20 (if the reviews are stellar), take advantage of the further reduction in used X100 prices (my assumption), or be so floored by the X100s that I'll shell out for that.

I sold off my X100 a month ago certain that the X100s would be just like it, but better. Now I'm getting cold feet that somehow the "s" will screw up the magic and have been thinking about re-getting an X100 (as long as I can get it back for the same fire sale price I sold mine for). Maybe I'll just wait it out for the "S". If the magic isn't there, I can always return it.

Yeah, I wouldn't even "watch" ones I couldn't see the serial number on. I know only a small percentage were affected, but if you get one, don't have the original receipt or an assurance from Fuji that it will fix the problem if it arises, it can get tricky. I might have got one $100 cheaper (mine was $743) with a 12, 13, or 14 serial number and never have had a problem. It's hard to know what to advise anyone in the market. I looked for a higher serial number, feel good about it, but realize there are no certainties about it.

I was shopping for a used X100 but got kind of frustrated. Seemed most every camera was listed with no shot of the bottom (serial #) and sellers who acted like they knew nothing about the potential for SAB issue. And most all of those cameras turned out to be from the potentially problematic range. My trust meter was not moving much...

I think I'll revisit it after the new Xs have had a few months to breathe. I'll either decide then to upgrade from my X10 to the 20 (if the reviews are stellar), take advantage of the further reduction in used X100 prices (my assumption), or be so floored by the X100s that I'll shell out for that.

From everything I've heard, Luke, the magic is there and then some with the newer model. I feel lucky for a windfall that let me get a used x100, though. Behind the times ain't nothin' new to me.

I sold off my X100 a month ago certain that the X100s would be just like it, but better. Now I'm getting cold feet that somehow the "s" will screw up the magic and have been thinking about re-getting an X100 (as long as I can get it back for the same fire sale price I sold mine for). Maybe I'll just wait it out for the "S". If the magic isn't there, I can always return it.

I just got it! When I checked the tracking, it had arrived at the local post office, so I called them asked if, pretty please, they would hold it so I could pick it up this morning. They did. (I'm putting in my plug for the much abused USPS, which I've always found quite good.)

Anyway, back to the thing at hand! What a lovely little camera! I'm setting it up for the way I shoot, and the optical "rangefinder" auto focus parallax correction works wonderfully. I'll almost surely be using the optical finder most of the time, as it is easier with my glasses, and generally accurate enough for anyone used to rangefinders. I'd rather get a little extra in the frame and have to trim it than not see the edge and crop something important in camera.

Of course the first shots, before I'd done much of anything to customize it to my ways, were of Peggy, who is obviously not enjoying the attention I'm giving the camera that I should be giving to her.

Back