Leica Tales from the Pit - 50mm Sumilux ASPH

carlb

All-Pro
Feb 6, 2013
I'm playing in musical theater (the "pit band") for 'Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.' I've been having fun grabbing some candids and some posed shots of other musicians in the pit.

Lighting is exceptionally challenging: stand lights, which by design aren't the brightest bulbs by any measure. I brought the 50mm Summilux in to shoot at f1.4 to help, but that makes its own set of challenges: getting focus for a thin depth of field.

Set the shutter to the slowest I can work with, about 1/60th second, much slower than that and lose too many shots to folks moving. ISO pretty high, 2500-3200 for most.

Here you go:

Randi Rexroth
by Carl B, on Flickr

Randi cuts through the fog
by Carl B, on Flickr

Emily Reck
by Carl B, on Flickr

Emily Reck
by Carl B, on Flickr

Jay Weiler
by Carl B, on Flickr

Jay Weiler
by Carl B, on Flickr

Melissa Warhol
by Carl B, on Flickr

Melissa Warhol
by Carl B, on Flickr

Michael Zimmerman
by Carl B, on Flickr

Michael Zimmerman
by Carl B, on Flickr

Emily Judge-Becker
by Carl B, on Flickr

Emily Judge-Becker
by Carl B, on Flickr

Doug Nelson fogged-out
by Carl B, on Flickr

Doug Nelson
by Carl B, on Flickr

Deb and Doug
by Carl B, on Flickr

Deb Clapp
by Carl B, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:

BrianS

Hall of Famer
Apr 3, 2013
Difficult lighting - made for some great portraits.

I'm sure everyone is very pleased, will these be used in a Bill-Board/Brochure for the company?

carlb

All-Pro
Feb 6, 2013
Thanks, Brian. I think everyone likes the shots.

Lighting was so low that seeing the rangefinder box was difficult at times. I did miss the focus often, but the usable shots made up for that.

The pit band won't get much billing in general (names in the playbill is about it). But any of the musicians are free to use these in self-promotion if they'd like.

Latest threads

Top Bottom