talk me out of THIS camera

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
I don't know how I bumped into this camera...I really don't shoot video. But I did buy a $1000 digital audio recorder for digitizing some LPs. It makes great recordings.....totally indiscernible from the original. But I assume this thing should be 95% as good since it is AUDIO-centric....at least as far as video cameras go. And it would be easy enough to load up audio clips on youtube that I could stream on my morning dog walks. There's a newer model for $199 that does 4k video, but since I care ZERO about video beyond 720p.....why SHOULDN'T I buy this camera?

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/con...DtHaWrG4B9xFaUkE4LgWP9kglKSSelSRoCMXIQAvD_BwE

I just started seeing ads for that camera. I'd never heard of it before. I don't play an instrument, nor do I have aspirations of being a YouTube star, but it does look interesting...

But don't get it. OK?

Because this thing won't be 95% as good as your $1000 stuff.

People love to spend small money so they can get more things to play with, whether it's for fun or frustration as it turns out, the real question you have to ask is, is it worth your time?

It uses 24-bit audio sampling. That means that one part of electronic noise in 16Million of signal will corrupt the recording. The amount of electrical noise from the realtime video being recorded will leak into the a/d of the audio subsystem and corrupt the signal. It's just not easy to isolate digital from analog, and 24-bits on the conversion means you need a clean signal.

I'm certainly not going to buy one, you should not either.

What a cool, targeted use piece of tech. It's basically a mic with a really wide angle camera. neat.

You should definitely get it, btw.

I couldn't figure out how to say it. It looks like their portable digital recorders...but comes a free video camera. They really are about the same price.

And I can not find a place to upload audio files and store them in the cloud....and if there is a platform, there certainly isn't one as simple to use as youtube is for video....so even though I have no use for the video "function".....it seems easier to load up videos to the cloud to stream than mp3 files. In the past, I've dabbled in making videos using my camera....but none of them seem well-suited to audio.

Thanks to all for your input....the serious...and the sassy. I have taken them all in and processed them through my own prism of intended use. I'm going to give it a spin.....if it doesn't suit my intended use, it's probably around the cost of a rental to resell it.

I couldn't figure out how to say it. It looks like their portable digital recorders...but comes a free video camera. They really are about the same price.

And I can not find a place to upload audio files and store them in the cloud....and if there is a platform, there certainly isn't one as simple to use as youtube is for video....so even though I have no use for the video "function".....it seems easier to load up videos to the cloud to stream than mp3 files. In the past, I've dabbled in making videos using my camera....but none of them seem well-suited to audio.

Thanks to all for your input....the serious...and the sassy. I have taken them all in and processed them through my own prism of intended use. I'm going to give it a spin.....if it doesn't suit my intended use, it's probably around the cost of a rental to resell it.
Point the camera at the album cover as you record. Have your cat or dog wander into the shot. Internet gold.

I was not aware that you actually have a gear buying decision process where ‘no’ is one of the alternatives :p

trust me....there are PLENTY of gear purchases that I have not made. Usually because I lack the money.

And I think I've talked myself back out of it.

It's more of a curiosity than a need. I think I'll just forget about it.....and put those funds aside for painting the exterior of the house this summer. I just like spending on fun things more than necessary things.

One more reason not to get it... the inevitable GAS.

After playing with the Zoom Q2n you'll quickly run into it's limitations for its price point which will lead you to think that maybe you should have gotten the more expensive Zoom Q4n instead but, of course, after playing with that model and shooting a few videos you'll realize that, you know, for just a little bit more you could've bought the Zoom Q8 which, ultimately, will lead to frustration as you start to think that dedicated devices for audio and video really is the best way to go and, finally, the fate of most tech toys that are tempting on price point alone...
You wont use it much and in 6 months will put it on ebay?
871anu85putz.gif

(Of course, though, I'm a horrible person to give advice because I've got tons of useless shiny gadgets in my house that do nothing these days but take up space and my garage looks like an electronics recycling center. D'oh!)

Back